BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Keith Andrews - Time He Went

Hughesy

685 members have voted

1. 1. Should Keith Stay or Go?

But asking it 150 times and not once to the person best placed to answer it? Fair enough in the early days but it's idiocy now.

Allardyce CLEARLY sees attributes worthy of a place in his system above those of, say, Emerton. He might put a different weight on them than do you and the majority of fans, but they are there; it's just that you either don't see them or don't value them.

Personally, I don't think he's much good compared to what I think a midfielder should be like, but under Allardyce's system, I think he has a very different view as to what he wants from central midfielders, so I can see why he picks him and doesn't seem in a rush to replace him. Central midfield does not appear to be the key part of our current system; it's good defending and creating half-chances up front from knockdowns that define us at the moment, not playmakers spraying the ball around. If Emerton had played there 33 times rather than Andrews, I don't think we'd be any higher or lower in the league; both are equally capable of running around and watching the ball fly over their heads.

I much preferred watching Tugay, Flitty etc, but Sam clearly isn't going to drop his limited transfer budget on a proven central midfielder, so I don't understand all the angst. If it wasn't Andrews it would be Emerton, Grella or Fatty...whup de do!

Well so far you have called me "the self-appointed cheerleader for the Andrews critics", said I have some kind of angst about this and suggested I've made the point about KA 150 times, - when in fact all I've said is that it's a reasonable question for Kelbo to ask folk on here what he brings to the team in footballing terms. Calm down.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair though it's been a while since anyone defended his ability on the pitch, mainly people defending the booing of one of our own players.

I agree that for me a midfielder should be able to at least either tackle, pass, shoot or dribble well and in my opinion Andrews doesn't excel in any of these areas. However he has a good work rate, good stamina and puts the team first. That's about all I can come up with and can only assume that those are a few traits that Allardyce looks for in a midfield player.

I like many others wouldn't pick him to start for the reasons I've mentioned but there is no point keep going over the same things, it's probably in everyones best interests that he moves on now in the summer because we are never going to take to him, personally I think come September 2010 he'll still be here though.

Credit where its due - today he didnt do bad. He did what you would want for the 1st goal (hard and low), and later on he got stuck in abit more than usual.

No he didn't. He was still crap. Just did a couple of things right tonight but was generally ineffective.

He wasnt that good and that pass for the equaliser was a mis hit shot that skewed off Roberts to Dunny for him to force the ball home.

Nice to see Rovers players removing him from the free kick taking duties, he simply aint good enough.

He wasnt that good and that pass for the equaliser was a mis hit shot that skewed off Roberts to Dunny for him to force the ball home.

Nice to see Rovers players removing him from the free kick taking duties, he simply aint good enough.

That really is harsh - it was a hard low cross - from my vantage in the DE. Overall I thought he did ok - would still prefer Emerton but he worked hard, and obviously to orders.

What a ridiculous comment. You may not like Andrews but you really do need to take your blinkers off and watch the cross again, it was the perfect ball to play in that situation. Andrews is not good enough but not to give him credit for setting up our equalizer is ridiculous.

Credit where credit is due and any player playing in blue and white halves deserves our support on matchday.

What a ridiculous comment. You may not like Andrews but you really do need to take your blinkers off and watch the cross again, it was the perfect ball to play in that situation. Andrews is not good enough but not to give him credit for setting up our equalizer is ridiculous.

Credit where credit is due and any player playing in blue and white halves deserves our support on matchday.

You're wasting your time on that one mate. This is the guy who said when Andrews threw himself in front of a goalbound shot against Chelsea that he slipped.

As most people know, you're generally supposed to shoot across goal - if it doesn't go in then it can get parried out into the goalmouth or act as a cross to players rushing in. Regardless of whether Andrews meant it as a shot, the fact that he did this resulted in the goal.

By all means people should point out when Andrews does things wrong, but to take it to the next level and not acknowledge when he does things right, or be begruding and disingenuous when "praising" him is totally counterproductive, pointless, and a little pathetic.

Beating Arsenal with Andrews in midfield is an impressive feat, especially as they are supposed to be one of the top footballing sides in the world, and our Keith supposedly is the worst footballer in the whole league. Perhaps he is just a little bit better than some of you give him credit for.

Also, as for the sad characters sat in the front few rows of the middle of the BBE giving him grief in the first half whilst he was preparing to defend a corner - get a life. You can post your repetitive, embittered views on here, but giving any players wearing our shirt grief like that during a match is totally unacceptable. How does that help us win?

Think on...

Fully expect to see Keef go out the Ewood exit door THIS summer.

Failure to do so could be damaging to big Sam next season.

When a manager starts picking a team based upon fans expectations it spells doom. Fans thought they could run the club up in Newcastle...look where that got them.

We can do better than Andrews, sure, but if Allardyce gets rid for that reason then I am worried about our future...

Mark Atkins and Jason Wilcox played a pivotal role in our title win, but if the crowd had their way they would have been long gone before that season even started.

I would not be surprised, in the least, if Andrews is here next season. Sam has kept faith in him, even after squirtgate, and believes he brings something to the team. What that something is still manages to elude most of us, but be prepared for another year of the Andrews Debate.

When a manager starts picking a team based upon fans expectations it spells doom. Fans thought they could run the club up in Newcastle...look where that got them.

We can do better than Andrews, sure, but if Allardyce gets rid for that reason then I am worried about our future...

Mark Atkins and Jason Wilcox played a pivotal role in our title win, but if the crowd had their way they would have been long gone before that season even started.

Very true Darth Paul, regarding Keef its a voice challenging management to raise the standard in certain areas, Keefs being one, Grella's another for me who can 'go and do one' aswell.

We obviously beat Arsenal with 10 men then. 9 if you'd like to throw in Pedersen while you're at it.

We always play with 10.5 men when Andrews starts. When did I mention Pederson?

On yesterday's evidence, Grella should be the one going; he'll be on more money and will probably fetch a bigger transfer fee.

I'm praying that he has a blinding World Cup.

Grella used his elbow more effectively than his feet. Keith was ok yesterday but his skills are so limited. He really shouldn´t be a regular starter but he is always fit and that´s why useful for the team. But only as a back up.

Lets be fair to all and not so churlish toward individuals. Lets not display misguided loyalty either.

The entire midfield performed well against the Arsenal imo. Thats not to say that we shouldn't seek to replace each and every one with better players if we get an opportunity. It's the way football works.

Archived