BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newcastle v Rovers

jodrell

Given Sam's experience with Nolan, you have to hope he knows exactly how to stop him. Samba is more than capable of nullifying Carroll. Most of our players should know Simpson inside out as well. Sam knows most of the Newcastle players its an advantage that should not be dismissed.

Sam I'm sure will be very driven to ensure that we beat Newcastle, I reckon we will as well.

2-1 Rovers.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Hughton seems like a manager going places. He's done a more than solid job at Newcastle so far.

I wonder how much of it is down to Hughton and how much is down to the "you're getting sacked in the morning" comments. The players seem galvanised by all this talk and ever since its come out they've performed above and beyond.

Their over confidence could be there downfall given recent results. But also don't forget I believe Sam has a fantastic record against his previous clubs.

I'd back Sam head to head against Hughton in pretty well any situation.

That's us knackered then.

Newcastle and Carroll in particular look unstoppable at the moment but they had alot of luck at Arsenal.

1-1.

Now I haven't seen any of the game, but was interested to read that Newcastle's winning goal against Arsenal came because they had targetted Fabianski as being weak in the air...

Also Newcastle apparently changed their formation to drop Ameobi back into midfield, effectively playing with just one up front...

Lordy I wish we had a manager who was so tactically astute.

There have been links between us for forty years to the certain memory of those of the older generation.

One of us can never forget our first season in the old Division 3 when the Board had recruited Ken Furphy to manage us back to Full Membership of the Football League. One of his choices in this task was to take three players; a defender, a midfielder and a forward [John McNamee, Ben Arentoft and Kit Napier] from Newcastle United. I was at College at the time and had a number of colleagues there who were and still are members of the Toon Army and I'll never be able to forget the patronizing remarks they made at the time about relieving them of surplus-to-requirements players.

I've taken pleasure in more recent years about referring to making an annual weekend trip to collect three points from them. Particularly enjoyable was the fixture [last one of the season, if memory serves] when we were relegated from the Premiership when [again, if memory serves] Jason Wilcox gave us the lead and our fans chanted "1-0 to the Football League" [or was it "... to the Championship"?]

That was one of the few times their fans weren't singing the then-traditional Geordie song, "Sack the Board". [What do they sing now, I wonder; "Sack the Owner" :rolleyes: ?]

One of the mates I referred to above told me a lovely story about when their Keegan-managed team blew up within sight of taking the Premier League title. My memory of this is really fading; but I think we played them at their place in the Monday night and Fenton came off the bench to score [twice?] so that we won 2-1.

The other interesting factor about the 2-1 game was that Batty scored for them.

By the way, MacNamee was brilliant for us.

I really do think we are the better team. Man for man we are better, the only player of theirs I'd take is Nolan although that's not likely to happen as he hates us. Yet ... I think we will do well to get a draw out of this.

We certainly don't like being closed down and given no space plus we don't seem to react well to constant physical borderline challenges, but like Stoke that's the Barcodes game. The noise of the home crowd will ensure that they don't get too many fouls called against them so they'll push it as far as they can.

We should be well capable of getting a result if we take our 'A' game but I'll be really really happy with a point.

1:1

I really do think we are the better team. Man for man we are better, the only player of theirs I'd take is Nolan although that's not likely to happen as he hates us. Yet ... I think we will do well to get a draw out of this.

We certainly don't like being closed down and given no space plus we don't seem to react well to constant physical borderline challenges, but like Stoke that's the Barcodes game. The noise of the home crowd will ensure that they don't get too many fouls called against them so they'll push it as far as they can.

We should be well capable of getting a result if we take our 'A' game but I'll be really really happy with a point.

1:1

I'd say Nolan, Barton, Gutierrez and Carroll are all players that would walk into our team.

Looking forward to this one. Haven't been to an away game since Everton last season. My heart says a Rovers win, but my head says a draw. Don't really know what to expect with Newcastle. If they play against us like they did against Sunderland then we will get beat, if they get a bit cocky then we could sneak a win. I suppose an advantage may be that all eyes and expectation will be on Newcastle.

Am going in with a few mates in the newcastle end for this one, sick of being up in the gods, awful view!!

Don't think I will have to think about celebrating a goal, heart says 1-1 but am thinking it will be a 2-0 loss.

prove me wrong lads!

I'm doing the same with regards to sitting in there bit, at this rate will there be more Rovers fans in Newcastle parts than the Rovers bit??? :lol:

For shame, the lot of you ...

For the person who was asking, tickets are on sale until ticket office closes tomorrow, they won't be on sale at Newcastle or Rovers on Wednesday according to official site here

Tickets are on open sale until 5.30pm Tuesday 9th November from the Roverstore at Ewood Park. They go off sale at the Town Centre store at 12 noon November 9th.

Tickets are not on sale on the day of the game at Ewood Park or at St. James' Park.

I wonder how much of it is down to Hughton and how much is down to the "you're getting sacked in the morning" comments. The players seem galvanised by all this talk and ever since its come out they've performed above and beyond.

There's nothing wrong with that Maj, that kind of unity can make or break a team and if Hughton has that kind of respect in the dressing room then fair play to him.

I think he's doing a great job there btw and it's well deserved - seems an unassuming kind of chap and as Sunday's game showed, quite tactically adept.

I'm gonna get totally and utterly ripped if we lose, I live in Newcastle with half of my family who also support Newcastle (The other half of my family is from Blackburn and Rovers has always been my team), my best friends all support Newcastle, most people I know support Newcastle, the people I dislike support Newcastle, and Newcastle are doing pretty well at the minute

5 or 6-0 it could be

I just realised that Newcastle are 4th in the table in terms of goals. In fact they scored more than Man City.

As such, I don't think we can't stop them from scoring and since i can't see us scoring 2 goals for the 2nd game in a row, the scoreline for me will be 1-0 to the barcodes or a 1-1 at best.

I'm gonna get totally and utterly ripped if we lose, I live in Newcastle with half of my family who also support Newcastle (The other half of my family is from Blackburn and Rovers has always been my team), my best friends all support Newcastle, most people I know support Newcastle, the people I dislike support Newcastle, and Newcastle are doing pretty well at the minute

5 or 6-0 it could be

Your big game then mate, fingers crossed. I work with a Newcastle fan and not surprisingly, he is extremely confident. Too confident, in my eyes. How often does football give you a kick in the ###### after a couple of good results.

St James Park has also been a happy hunting ground for us in recent years, and there is no reason why we can't come away with a point.

For those of a pessimistic nature the last time I looked it was 40/1 against Newcastle scoring 5 or more goals.......quite generous given their home record this season (they scored 6 against Villa, 5 against Sunderland and should have scored about 10 against Blackpool) and our crap away form.

Archived