BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Venky's Summer Transfer List

I think signing up Benjani isn't a bad thing. He has done alright when called upon....certainly offered more than RSC and Diouf.

If Kean is seriously trying to sign RSC you have to question the mans mental state. We shouldn't be going near him.

If we could get J.Jones, Reo-coker and Ba and then get a 15 goal striker in then things would certainly be looking up! It won't happen though.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have talked to people who were at Kean's press conference yesterday, seems that there was bit of confusion regarding what Kean said, the consensus seems to be that the transfer budget is between £5-£10 million. I think that it will be nearer the £10 million mark plus whatever is raised from sale of players. The big change here is that Kean also said that he will get every single penny of money raised from transfers.

To be honest I will be quite relieved if Venky's only spend what they can afford, in the long term that is the best way forward for the club. There is no point Venky's spending £20-£30 million if they can't afford it, because while in the short term it may be exciting for the fans in the long term it will be disaster for the club.

If they are prepared to invest £5-£10 million each transfer window (which is what they said when they bought the club) and with some clever loan deals (ala Jermaine Jones in January) then the club moves forward. I am much more comfortable with this kind of investment model then one that is based on the owners financing the club with huge amounts of money that they can't afford.

I personally think Reo-Cocker would be a very good signing. He is a solid midfielder who has also played well at right back, fills the home grown quota, a very capable player.

If we manage to get J Jones, surely we'll have competition so will do well, Reo-Cocker added to N'Zonzi them we will have a good choice from two of them for the centre if midfield, work horses all three of them.

I also believe Peter Crouch, if he is leaving Spurs, would be a very good foil for Hoilett.

This is me assuming we actually have money, otherwise we will need to cash in on Samba and replace him as well.

We can only go on what Kean tells the media. I have no reason to believe that he is not telling the truth when he says he wants to sign Benjani. I have no reason not to believe him when he says that Diouf, Jones and Santa Cruz are players he would like to sign permanently. Are you suggesting that he is not telling us the truth Gav?

He may well not be telling the truth. No doubt if he said we have a war chest of £20m the usual lot on here would be slagging him off for letting clubs know what our budget is.

As ever with the new regime, damned if you do, damned if you dont.

If they are prepared to invest £5-£10 million each transfer window (which is what they said when they bought the club) and with some clever loan deals (ala Jermaine Jones in January) then the club moves forward. I am much more comfortable with this kind of investment model then one that is based on the owners financing the club with huge amounts of money that they can't afford.

All very true but if the transfer kitty is to be reinforced by selling the best players such as P Jones etc then it is self-defeating and in the long run the squad will be weaker. Everyone knows there are certain players who need to be moved on and it is those players who should be sold first.

The statements about Benjani, Santa Cruz and Diouf are truly depressing and contradict the apparent ambitions of the owners for the club.

I would question the signing resigning of Benjani more so than RSC on a permanent deal.

Clearly RSC will come on the cheap and on a performance based contract. Can't lose.

(apparently) 90-grand a week cheap?!

"Arsenal have kicked off their summer shake-up plans with an £8million bid for Blackburn defender Chris Samba. "

Is it April 1st in the UK or did they just forget the "1" in front of the 8?

According to the Daily Mail, they "upped" it to 8M from 6! :rolleyes:

According to the Daily Mail, they "upped" it to 8M from 6! :rolleyes:

Standard practice. Unsettle the player by making their interest known, player then demands transfer and club is forced to sell for a knockdown fee.

All very true but if the transfer kitty is to be reinforced by selling the best players such as P Jones etc then it is self-defeating and in the long run the squad will be weaker. Everyone knows there are certain players who need to be moved on and it is those players who should be sold first.

The statements about Benjani, Santa Cruz and Diouf are truly depressing and contradict the apparent ambitions of the owners for the club.

I agree Jim, but if one of the big five (Arsenal, Chelsea, United, Liverpool and now City) come in for one of our players we have little or no chance of holding onto the player regardless of who the owners are.

If we are selling Jones and Samba the worry is that we don't have a experienced transfer negotiator at the helm, John Williams proved time and again that he could get the best possible deal when players were wanting to move on.

I too am bemused by offering Benjani, Roque and Diouf, but that comes entirely from Steve Kean, he is the one wanting the club to do those deals, maybe he thinks that he can retain the team spirit that we had at the end of the season by keeping the vast majority of the squad together.

i imagine 8million for samba is just the opening bid to get the ball rolling, i think blackburn will acept between 10-12million,

no point keeping him if he really doesnt want to be here no more and you cant really begrudge him for wanting to play for arsenal, we paid less than 500k for him and got the best part of 5 years out of him.

we have a good history of finding bargain priced defenders so i wouldnt be too worried if/when he does leave, not to mention we still have P jones, Givet and Nelsen at the club(givet/nelsen very good consistant pros, P jones potentially worldclass).

Im more worried about the talk of nistelroy signing, that wouldnt really look too good selling 1 of are best players and are 1st signing being an hasbeen, we should really be looking to make a statenent of intent with are 1st signing, i think.

Standard practice. Unsettle the player by making their interest known, player then demands transfer and club is forced to sell for a knockdown fee.

Some clubs are strong enough to resist that sort of tactic and refuse to sell until a proper bid comes in but I'm afraid Kean will be too weak for that. The best we can hope for is another team coming in to force an auction. Samba unfortunately appears to be making want away noises and we can't really blame him. He has been brilliant for Rovers.

Kamy, I read it as an extra £5m which would total £10m. Perfectly happy with that as I states before.

However what's the point of using the loan system if you then decide to make a judgement quite contrary to anything seen during the loan period. Have Diouf and RSC done enough to earn contracts??? I would say a definite no.

It looks even worse when you see the likes of Carew and Ba available for free. I know which pair I would be looking to sign!!

Signing j jones is important however if we can't get him we should be looking at Reo-Coker on a free, there is no doubt about that.

Demba Ba , Larsson ,Reo Coker , Owen , Wes Brown ...all free's all would improve us add the £5m for Jones and someone like Lansbury or Jack Cork on loan and get rid of some of the deadwood ..i'd consider that a decent window, even if we didn't spend a fortune

About Samba, is there any possibility that Hertha Berlin might cut in on an eventual transfer fee? I'm pretty sure we bought him rather than signed him o a free from there, it's quite plausible that Hertha got a sell on % clause.

About Samba, is there any possibility that Hertha Berlin might cut in on an eventual transfer fee? I'm pretty sure we bought him rather than signed him o a free from there, it's quite plausible that Hertha got a sell on % clause.

I doubt it, he was'nt that young when we signed him was he?

If he has a sell on clause I doubt he would be sold, I think Pederson had one when we bought him from Tromso, probably why we have been stuck with the bugger for so long. ^_^

As for the possible signings of the MBD and RSC, dont you usually sign players if they impress in their loan spell? How the hell would you class those two as have been impressive.

Just when you think we are moving forward at last we hear insane news like this and the new contract for Benjani, all three of those players are either done at this level or will never be good enough.

Football scouts these days must have the easiest jobs, at least Hughes made them earn their corn.

Demba Ba , Larsson ,Reo Coker , Owen , Wes Brown ...all free's all would improve us add the £5m for Jones and someone like Lansbury or Jack Cork on loan and get rid of some of the deadwood ..i'd consider that a decent window, even if we didn't spend a fortune

Wes Brown available on a free? Interesting. I'd like to see us try to get Scott Dann from Brum though.

IF Ba is available in a free and we're not all over it then we need our heads seeing to. We missed the boat in January so let's not do it again. Fitness permitting he would be a cracking signing and I'd imagine him and Hoilett would cause mayhem in tandem.

Especially when Kean wanted him and only spoke about him again a few weeks ago.

Larsson & Ba seems like serious possibilities to me. 2 excellent freebies!!

Re-coker isnt a bad shout in terms of filling the home grown quota, getting us a decent midfielder/ right back.

I would question the signing resigning of Benjani more so than RSC on a permanent deal.

Clearly RSC will come on the cheap and on a performance based contract. Can't lose.

Ok to my knowledge I have never used caps lock on this messageboard before but...

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP SAYING THIS!! HE IS ON 90 FRIGGING GRAND A WEEK AND A PAY CUT FOR HIM WOULD BE DOWN TO ABOUT 60K. THAT IS MILLIONS OF POUNDS A YEAR.

PEOPLE NEED TO KICK UP A FUSS ABOUT THIS TRANSFER. LET THE CLUB KNOW HE IS NOT WANTED HERE.

This simply strikes me as when players were rewarded contracts in January for no reason. Kean still feels he needs a strong backing and is therefore buying voices in the dressing room. I simply cannot think of any other reason. RSC's loan spell went literally as bad as it could have possibly gone. He offered nothing but a drain on wages!

It's not me who keeps raising expectation levels (remember that assustant manager to 'make the football world sit up and take notice? That was Jensen - I think the press have only just cooled on that bombshell). No, it's our verbally incontinent owners and Mr Positive. Trouble is, unless they follow through, their credibility suffers. But, of course, you know that too.

Hit the nail on the head.

Our manager and owners have to realize that spin twists the truth, even "positive" spin. And credibility once lost is not easily regained.

Im more worried about the talk of nistelroy signing, that wouldnt really look too good selling 1 of are best players and are 1st signing being an hasbeen, we should really be looking to make a statenent of intent with are 1st signing, i think.

RVN has scored 10 goals in 25 matches for Hamburg in the 2010-2011 season which is hardly "has been" material. He and Ba are the best strikers performance-wise that we've credibly been linked to, as of yet. Considering past histories, I'd prefer RVN over Ba.

But I wouldn't touch RSC with a barge pole. He's done nothing for years.

I can't believe Kean's serious about Santa Cruz, the guy's done NOTHING for about the last two seasons. As for Diouf the younger, he'll never make a Premier League player, give him a year or two and he'll be playing for somebody like Preston. Are we keeping Benjani in case Roberts gets injured ? If you rolled all our strikers into one you still wouldn't have a 15 goal a season player.

I'm not sure RVN has still got what it takes, he's had too many injuries for my liking, for the sort of wages he's talking about he's too big a gamble. Ditto with the likes of Michael Owen.

The bottom line is if you've got a championship style budget you can only sign championship class players and ultimately you end up in the championship !

Archived