BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] FA Cup - Newcastle v Rovers: Preview

colin

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`m looking forward to this one.Match Ticket,accommodation and train there and back for £65 was too good an offer to turn down. :D

In all honesty i`m not expecting too much from the game itself,but i`m looking forward to the night out after.Does anybody know the best places to go before the game and at night as well? Thanks in advance! :tu:

That's a really good preview, colin; specially given the way we all feel about the club at the moment. Thank you for it.

I feel particularly sad about missing this one. I've had Geordie friends for over 40 years now and always used to look forward to making a weekend of a Rovers' game in Newcastle: a pint or two with those friends in the Irish Centre before the game; usually followed by another one or two somewhwere else afterwards for a post mortem on the game. Then a meal in town and home in time to see MotD [i'm much too old for the Bigg Market!] and the highlights of us collecting what used to be our traditional victory.

However, like many of us, I can summon up no enthusiasm for this match. I might listen to commentary on the radio during the afternoon but, if I do, it'll be with no real enthusiasm. Thank you, Mrs Desai and your brothers, for what you've managed to do to my love for the football club you bought [on a whim? Come on; enough water's flowed under the bridge now - you can be honest with us] in 2010.

Having said that, Newcastle are beatable, especially if they put out a team similar to the one which started the League Cup game at Ewood. So I'm tipping us [heart over head again!] to win by the odd goal. You know; like we did last Saturday! I know that would almost certainly bring problems of its own in terms of priorities; but I wouldn't put it past the team.

No interest in the FA Cup this year, all focus has to be on the league and off the field help.

With that in mind, my team would be about blooding youngsters and helping players back to fitness.

Assuming Hoilett, Samba and N'Zonzi will all be left out to avoid being cup tied.

Bunn

Henley - Hanley - Givet - Olsson

Rochina - Linganzi - Petrovic - Simon

Goodwillie - Slew

Subs - Formica, Kean, Aley, Pedersen, Dunn, Morris, Blackman

No interest in the FA Cup this year, all focus has to be on the league and off the field help.

With that in mind, my team would be about blooding youngsters and helping players back to fitness.

Assuming Hoilett, Samba and N'Zonzi will all be left out to avoid being cup tied.

Bunn

Henley - Hanley - Givet - Olsson

Rochina - Linganzi - Petrovic - Simon

Goodwillie - Slew

Subs - Formica, Kean, Aley, Pedersen, Dunn, Morris, Blackman

I would adjust the team slightly

----------------------Bunn

Henley----Hanley----Givet-----Olsson

Simon---Petrovic---Formica----Morris

------------Goodwillie---Slew

Morris deserves a place as he looked handy against United, and I would like to see how Formica could do in the centre.

We'll get absolutely stuffed in all probability. Goodwoolie has looked like an absolutely abject waste of space. I would love to be surpised by him but he is toilet.

...............................................................bunn........................................

ribeiro £0(see if he actually exists)...Hanley......Anderson£0(has to happen sooner or later)............Henley

Rochina£400k....................Formica£3.5m..............................Petrovic£2.5m............................Vukcivic£3m

..................................Slew£1m....................Goodwillie£2.6m.......................................

£13m ###### away

Play every fit player kean signed with a few nippers and leave the yak out for protection, and then we will truly be allowed to judge dear leader without him offering a single excuse. Why any of them were signed if backhanders/bungs were'nt involved is beyond me.

• Backroom

A good preview, Colin.

Unfortunately I could not possibly care less about this game. I remember when Carling Cup and FA Cup matches were interesting because we might see one or two of the youngsters stepping up to give it a go.

We now play these youngsters regularly, to the point where we're overplaying them and league form has suffered as a result (this is not the youngsters fault, all blame lies on Venky's and Kean for failing to address squad depth).

Who do we have to look forward to potentially seeing, Anderson and Riberio? Yeah, right. Don't give a toss about either of the wage thieves. Grella? Don't make me laugh. Seen enough of Blackman already to know I don't want to see him playing in a Rovers shirt again any time soon.

I'll have a glance at the result at some point during the evening but that'll be about it. We have far more important things to worry about than the FA Cup third round.

According to Nicko few tongues will be wagging after we see the team selection tomorrow, my guess:

Anderson and Ribiero will start with Lowe in midfield.

Well if Kean sees fit that I will have to endure that dross on a saturday I'll be backing newcastle to score five or more. Hopefully my bet will reap the same reward as last time I wagered against Rovers.

Wouldn't be surprised to see either/or Roberts and Salgado, seeing as their contractual issues are down to league games played, not cup games.

That, or Keith Andrews is playing...

If it is, as looks likely, Samba being left out then how inexperienced is our defence going to be?! Unless Olsson or Givet are due to return but I would have thought putting either straight in from the start in a match that is less important than next week's would be foolish. Which would perhaps point to Samba being on his way out of the club?

Sorry if I've missed it but whats the news on players returning from injury for this game?

Congratulations to all the die-hards who have gone to Newcastle today. Thought about going but then remembered the trip to Cardiff and £150 wasted because the manager decided to "forfeit" the game.

Not bothered if we win or not; in our current predicament the FA Cup is irrelevant.

Well done to all the guys going up today, I salute you.

I don't care too much for the FA Cup this year myself, however, we should remind the Newcastle fans that it was us that broke Manchester United, at thie place, with our youth side.

Be nice to win though, as I never wish to see Rovers lose and the skunks are deluded and need us to act as a balancing agent for them.

Archived