BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The nPower Championship 12/13

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

I can't work out what to make of our start, we havent played well at all but are sat in 2nd, its been poor at times but lets remember a lot of folk on here predicted us To get relegated which now looks unlikely although never say never!

Cardiff beating Wolves 3-1 as it stands.

Performances aside, we've certainly had the best start to the season of the newly relegated teams.

And I don't think we should under estimate that.

Last time we were relegated we found it difficult to adjust to the different football - and what players are allowed to get away with (more like the good old days) - as we experienced on Saturday.

This time the performances have largely been poor - but the results have been good. If we can adjust to the different demands - and start to take advantage of the better quality of player we have - we should be in with a chance (inspite of Kean)

• Backroom

Bizarre league 1 news, yesterday Pauli Di canto subbed his goalie after twenty minutes then gave this interview post game:

'Because he was one of the worst players I have ever seen in a football match. He is a player like the others. 'Why can't we change the goalkeeper? Is the goalkeeper is an element who plays on with another team because he has a different colour on his shirt? I know my players, I know Wes - he was the crappy player even against Stoke.

'Today what he did, it's not only the mistake that can happen to everyone. The arrogance later, when he started moaning to the others, that was the worst thing for me because it let me realise that a player doesn't recognise his mistakes that was clear miles away, that was a rubbish mistake.

'I said to him "now calm because we have to keep going", we give the ball straight away to them and then start again moaning to the others.

'Today he started behaving as the worst professional; arrogant, ignorant in some way - not as a person, as an athlete - I have ever seen.

'If he doesn't come out and say sorry to the fans, for the professionalism in general, he is out from my team. I don't want any argument from the fans 'we play Oxford, we have a season' - no.

'I don't mind because this is my rules and [Leigh] Bedwell did very, very well. Maybe he behaved like this because the window's closed. Another question mark.

'I'm ready to bring in a goalkeeper. I'm ready to ask my chairman if he doesn't go out and say sorry to everybody because this has to come from the stomach and from the heart.

'If he doesn't think he made a mistake in the way he behaved he has to think who he is? Cech?

'He was nothing until the day he joined me, not the club but me. He didn't have one second as a professional, nobody wanted him because he's 181cm. In English football everybody want 199 like the f***ing Preston goalkeeper.

'He should have his career cut and you know that is true, but just because we believed in him and there is no importance in that because he is very good - thanks to him because he did well last year - he forgot everything. He is arrogant, he's still 20. He thinks he's untouchable.'

I think he's actually insane

So Coyle starting to get flak, not suprised considering they got battered at Hull, and looking at the highlights it could quite easily have been 5-1.

Does anyone know what Coyle stats are like at Bolton since the Stoke Semi Final defeat?? They must be shocking!

Would be interesting to see it next to Keans too.

So Coyle starting to get flak, not suprised considering they got battered at Hull, and looking at the highlights it could quite easily have been 5-1.

Does anyone know what Coyle stats are like at Bolton since the Stoke Semi Final defeat?? They must be shocking!

Would be interesting to see it next to Keans too.

Coyle - Played 4, Won 1, Drew 1, Lost 2 this season.....Played 38. Won 10, Drew 6, Lost 22 last season.....Played 6, Won 1, Drew 0, Lost 5 after losing 5-0 to Stoke.

Overall - Played 48, Won 12, Drew 7, Lost 29......0.89 points per game, 25% Win ratio.

Kean - Played 4, Won 2, Drew 2, Lost 0 this season......Played 38, Won 8, Drew 7, Lost 23 last season.....Played 5, Won 2, Drew 2, Lost 1 after they lost 5-0 to Stoke.

Overall - Played 47, Won 12, Drew 11, Lost 24.......1 point per game, 25% Win ratio.

Kean has a marginally better record.....no wonder they aren't happy.....the free-flowing passing game they are sometimes said to have is a myth as well from what I have seen and statistics on their passing.

I'm not 100% but I seem to remember reading somewhere that Megsons record was far better than Coyles - and also that his teams stats on passing and possession etc were better. Just wondering if Coyle and Burnley were a good fit at a good time. In the end once he left Burnley, and then did his best to ensure our relegation by taking almost the entire backroom staff (very shrewd by Gartside at the time) he lost one of the things that had helped him with us. No longer could he command the same respect, his integrity was tarnished. At Burnley players and fans alike would run through brick walls for him. He was always suspect defensively but we didn't care. I also think expectations play a big part, at Bolton they had been treated to regular top 8 finishes under Sam and that was there expectation from Coyle - at Burnley we were happy to have made the PL and would have been ecstatic had he just kept us up.

To an extent you have the same problem. Under a succession of managers you'd regularly finished in top 8 to 10 and the occasions where it had started to go wrong a quick change was made - e.g. when Hughes was in etc. You certainly are not used to successive relegation battles.

Anyway, you'll be pleased to know that we look like real relegation candidates at this point. Our team lacks fight, drive or purpose. We are trying to play ala Swansea/Barca etc but don't have the players to play the killer pass - or indeed those who can make the lightening runs to get on the end of them. This means we spend most of the game aimlessly passing it around the back with little pace or penetration. I fear I am going to endure a long and painful season unless something dramatic changes. Currently you do not need to fear losing the long streak since the last time we beat you.

Archived