BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Birmingham Preview

The transformation since berg has come in is remarkable. He's brought players back in from the cold, got the best out of some of our key players, particularly Murphy, and has installed a nice and very effective passing game. Ultimately, it's about results but not many teams will be able to cope with us if we play like that.

If we can remain within 7 or 8 points come january then I think with a couple of good additions plus the return of Best then we have a great chance of promotion.

Berg is installing a new style of play into the team which is why results haven't followed just yet. It's similar to Black who installed a new defensive style of play but results didn't follow until a few games after the players got used to those tactics. We will batter a team over the new few weeks, we are due one especially playing the same as we did today.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be wrong but pretty sure he was Huddersfield's pen taker.

It should be pretty simple. Manager nominates the penalty taker with reserves 2 & 3.

If 1 is on the field and not injured he takes it, if 1 not on the field then 2 and so on,

You cannot have folk like CKR & Rochina 'taking' the ball off Rhodes. We've paid £8m for him to score feckin goals and he wants to !

It was poor and weak management from Black not to be prepared and similar now Berg has taken over. Wouldn't have done that under Cloughie!

There have been 2 penalties since Berg has taken over and both have been scored. That's the last of his worries right now. I'm sure as soon as we miss, then a designated penalty taker will be chosen.

Also, it's good we keep changing penalty takers. The technology available these days mean it would be relatively easy for the GK to guess the right direction of the penalty.

I'm not getting the Rochina bashing either, thought he was our stand out danger man today. Yes, he frustrates at times but get him on the ball in the last third and he makes things happen.

Impressed with Vukcevic too, problem is he and Rochina need to play the same position so one or the other will miss out.

Can only reiterate that we played very well at a high tempo for the majority and created enough to win.

It didn't happen today but carry on in the same vein and it will. I certainly feel a bit better about the upcoming game at the Dingledome.

• Backroom

It's not Rochina bashing its just frustration. He has obvious talent yet more often than not makes the wrong decison on the ball

In the second half I think he chose the wrong option every time he got the ball

Vukcevic in comparison used the ball well every time

Formica was given the "Peter Jackson man of the match" but really no-one deserved it.

However, even though it was a draw, Rovers played better than I've seen them for a long time.

Things are looking up. I think Berg is getting it together but it will take a while.

Robinson...........7 usual safe hands

Henley...............7 young, eager and faster than Orr

Dann.................6 an OK CH but I don't care for him.

Hanley...............6 same as Dann...OK but......

Martin O............7 better at going forward than defending.

Formica.............7 played well. My mate thought he was rubbish!

Murphy..............6 best game so far from him. playing further up the pitch.(score raised from 3

Etuhu.................5 sat too far back and doesn't create enough.

Markus O...........5 not a patch on his twin. Caught offside too much and poor crosses.

Rochina..............7 great skill. Crosses too strong. Made the opposition worry.

Rhodes...............6 We know what he can do. Not given enough service.

Nunes.................6 Brought a spark of life but fluffed a couple of chances

Simon.................8 I'm biased but this guy is such a strong and gifted footballer.

Lowe...................6 Replaced Murphy and did OK.

We came away from Ewood upbeat because we can see that Berg is changing things, giving players a chance to show what they can do and his substitutions are sensible.

It will take time for Berg to assess the players and pick his best team. At least he is giving everyone a chance.

We have improved already and we will improve further. Onwards and upwards.

• Backroom

Most of the complainers didn't watch the game, I suspect.

This is how I saw it:-

Formica was given the "Peter Jackson man of the match" but really no-one deserved it.

However, even though it was a draw, Rovers played better than I've seen them for a long time.

Things are looking up. I think Berg is getting it together but it will take a while.

Robinson...........7 usual safe hands

Henley...............7 young, eager and faster than Orr

Dann.................6 an OK CH but I don't care for him.

Hanley...............6 same as Dann...OK but......

Martin O............7 better at going forward than defending.

Formica.............7 played well. My mate thought he was rubbish!

Murphy..............6 best game so far from him. playing further up the pitch.(score raised from 3

Etuhu.................5 sat too far back and doesn't create enough.

Markus O...........5 not a patch on his twin. Caught offside too much and poor crosses.

Rochina..............7 great skill. Crosses too strong. Made the opposition worry.

Rhodes...............6 We know what he can do. Not given enough service.

Nunes.................6 Brought a spark of life but fluffed a couple of chances

Simon.................8 I'm biased but this guy is such a strong and gifted footballer.

Lowe...................6 Replaced Murphy and did OK.

We came away from Ewood upbeat because we can see that Berg is changing things, giving players a chance to show what they can do and his substitutions are sensible.

It will take time for Berg to assess the players and pick his best team. At least he is giving everyone a chance.

We have improved already and we will improve further. Onwards and upwards.

You give Etuhu a 5 for sitting back but him sitting back and holding was the reason Murphy was far better today as he had licence to go forward

Dickson hardly put a foot wrong all game

People have got to remember how inexperienced Rochina is. He has hardly any first team experience and is learning all the time. For me it is fantastic that Berg is playing him every week, the more he plays the better he will get.

Kamy, you are right.

He is a fair player and he will learn game in game out. he will be vital to rovers in coming months. him and Rhodes could be a good partnership.

You give Etuhu a 5 for sitting back but him sitting back and holding was the reason Murphy was far better today as he had licence to go forward

Dickson hardly put a foot wrong all game

He nearly gave them a goal by losing the ball late in the game. I've seen him play much better.

However we must agree to beg to differ. That's what football's all about.

I enjoyed watching the game today. That's the best I've seen us play for years. We past the ball well, linked the play well, looked like we had a game plan and should have won. Rhodes needs more help up front though. I thought that Formica, Murphy and Vukcevic had their best games for us. Vukcevic was particularly impressive when he came on. I'd like to see him get a start sooner rather than later. Nunes looked very lively when he came on.

The signs are that we are getting better. Is it me or do we look fitter than we have in the past? Berg is slowly making his mark on the team and we are getting better. We just need to take more of the chances we are creating.

He nearly gave them a goal by losing the ball late in the game. I've seen him play much better.

However we must agree to beg to differ. That's what football's all about.

Largely agree with you Barry. Enjoy your pint tonight :-)

Good to see some football for a change. I have felt positive this week......about Keaning time.

Kean off Steve Kean, onwards with Berg, and sod off Venkys.

Good, enjoyable game today (football has returned to Ewood!) - despite not getting the win we all would have wanted.

Danny Murphy was excellent - my man of the match and that is the player I remember and thought would be a great asset to our team - long may that continue! It's good to see him being utilised properly as I think he has, for the most part, been stiffled under previous tactics.

There was some good movement off the ball during attacking play - not seen that for a while either and some of the through balls could and should have brought us more goals.

Now for a win and hopefully we can go on a run.

For the first time in a long-time we actually resembled a football team. It's hard to believe it was the same set of players who where so sloppy in possession in numerous home game this season. We played some good stuff especially in the first 15 minutes, the passing was quick and I don't recall so many through balls being played forward in one game for quite a while.

Murphy was my MotM thought he totally bossed the midfield alongside Etuhu. Some sublime passes although he did tire towards the end and was correctly taken off (unlike in other games this season). Overall it was only a point but plenty of positive to take form it in my opinion. Play like that every week and we should be sure to remain in the promotion chase.

People have got to remember how inexperienced Rochina is. He has hardly any first team experience and is learning all the time. For me it is fantastic that Berg is playing him every week, the more he plays the better he will get.

Very true. For every good thing he does, he will make three of four mistakes. He will try and force things and give the ball away, when he should keep it simple and retain possession. He will take too many touches on the ball and move or counter attack will break down.

However he has a lot of talent and he will only learn by playing games. He can go past players, he can open teams up with skill and he is a goal threat. The aim has to be to harness this natural skill into a team format, where he isn't a liability. Most teams in this division would love to have a player of his ability and I'm glad that Berg is giving him the game time to improve.

Robinson - Far from inspiring today, not that he had a barrel full of shots to save - 5

Henley - Impressed in the way he burst forward towards the end - 7

Hanley - Woeful distribution and very clumsy - 5

Dann - Has been decent this season but looked shaky and I think he was at fault for the goal - 5

Martin Olsson - Burke was a pest down that side but looked decent going forwards - 6

Formica - Tricky, lively and inventive, although not a right winger - 8

Murphy - Our best player, the hub of our team, he was allowed to probe Birmingham and we look so much better as a team with him on song - 9

Etuhu - Ok, he did the dirty work and was energetic but sloppy in possession - 7

Markus Olsson - His crossing is dreadful, he should have had a goal and he kept getting caught offside in the first half, not good enough - 5

Rochina - Not at the same level as Tuesday, composed penalty but he ran into trouble too much. Still he shows good drive when trying to beat his opponent - 7

Rhodes - Easy to forget he was playing, wasteful but we still aren't set up to suit him - 5

Vukcevic - Showed some great invention when he came on, better at making decisions than Rochina, needs to play more - 8

Nunes - Tricky and quick making him very exciting, one or two crosses but also a couple of very poor shots - 7

Lowe - Not the player to win a game - N/A

I'm absolutely amazed that people are knocking Rochina after today's performance. Sure I found him frustrating in the second half but he's much improved under Berg and is showing signs of a massive confidence boost.

Team played great today and were very unlucky not to get 3 points. A complete contrast to the team under Kean. Birmingham were poor. Only flies in the ointment were the stupid defending (if it could be called defending) that allowed them a gift of a goal and the disallowing of a goal for offside which looked fine from where I was sitting. The linesman guessed this decision because he wasn't keeping up with play.

I can only imagine that the people who are moaning on here about the performance didn't actually see the game.

i think people are a bit harsh here. Okay, its 2 points dropped, but Berg has now had 3 games to see who wants it more. He will have noted now hopefully, that Simon and Fabio Nunes should be starting. The big issue for me is this, we need to seriously play 2 up front, but that means bringing in Gomes or a loan striker. It also means, that we have to drop Rochina, who has been one of our better players, along with Formica and Marcus Olsson. We need to get a defender in as well, and get Givet back, because we can not afford to give such silly goals away

We need a target man alongside Rochina Rhodes, and we don't currently have one (well not one fit).

Edit... Tired brain, meant Rhodes not Rochina.

Rochina absolutely oozes class, he needs an extended run in the team now, not a few games here and there. Let the lad get a bit of an understanding with the other players and trust me he will be one of the best players in this league, firmly believe that.

Absolute nonsense imo. He's different class a joy to watch and worth the admission money on his own.

Played a dinked ball through to Formica which should have put the latter through on goal. Formica misread it completely and ran the wrong way.

Edit: Rochina off Vukcevic on!. Best player off imo.

Agreed Rochina was class today. Who ever said his first touch was bad I'd like to see who he thinks has a good first touch. Rochina stopped the ball instantly and I remember on air pass that he jumped and controlled brilliantly.

I do think Berg see the talent and the team will be built with that in mind. Rochina has the best vision out of any on that pitch today, even the veteran Murphy. On a couple of times he played the killer pass only for the Lino to flag offside. We are getting better it was plain to see that today. By the 2nd Dec we will be fit as a fiddle and will beat anyone thrown at us

By the 2nd Dec we will be fit as a fiddle and will beat anyone thrown at us

We hope...... ;)

"Markus" Olsson?

Joining the ranks of Ryan "Nelson" & Morten "Pederson".

I understand his name is spelled "Markus" Correct me if I'm wrong.

• Backroom

Rochina should get a continued run as when he gets it right he's Unplayable and in the first half he had a spell when everything was coming off for him, sadly in the second half he got everything wrong and made a few attacks break down by making the wrong decision one in particular where he actually played it too early for once and if he held it for a second a simple through ball was on. Berg subbed him at the ideal time with the perfect man.

We have to find a place for Simon in this team though I can't say enough about him today he was just class I thought

With players like Simon, Rochina and Rhodes in the team along with Murphy if he continues that form there is no way we won't score goals

Archived