BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Best Crowd Atmospheres

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a business trip to Buenos Aries I was taken to La Bombonera to see Boca Juniors play Newells Old Boys the night Boca pipped River Plate to the league, never been in an atmosphere remotely like it: dogs and water cannon on the way in; every gangway and front of stand packed with ticketless interlopers who spent most of game facing away from the pitch orchestrating the non-stop chanting; we were high in 2nd tier of a crumbling concrete stand that made the old Riverside stand seem as permanent as the pyramids. Unforgettable.

For me thinking of Rovers games only, Leeds away Boxing Day 88 or 89? Maybe?

Rovers 2-0 down at half time, the Leeds nutters in the pens to the right hand side, the kop in full voice and the 4000 Rovers fans trying to encourage the side as they come out for the second half.

Final score 2-2, Garner and Hendry, atmosphere electric in the away end, hostile in the home end. Police fighting the home fans back after the game, ropey getting back to the train station.

Best atmosphere at a Rovers game and adrenalin to boot.

Best atmosphere at a Rovers game I've been to -

Rovers v Man City. FA Cup 1969, 42,000 plus on the old Ewood Park and the joint was jumping. Shame about the scoreline.

Rovers v Plymouth in 1975, losing 2-0 at one point we came back to win 5-2. The start of the long climb back to respectability. Brilliant atmosphere that day, less than 20,000 on that day but the buzz was incredible.

Never forget that City match - the ground was too full and looked downright dangerous. I'll never forget the Riverside crowd swaying back and forth against the barriers. City took the lead but Jimmy Fryatt equalised in the second half and for 10 minutes we had them reeling. Metcalfe had a great game.

A few years before we were 2-0 down early on against Liverpool and came back to 2-2 just before half-time and then snatch a late winner. Ewood went mental. Those lovely Scouse chaps were not pleased - beer bottles were being thrown all over the place.

Agree with Bob-Best Rovers atmosphere was the Derby play off semi final at Ewood.

As a neutral, best was at Goodison Park 1985 Cup Winners Cup semi final when Everton beat Bayern Muniich. I was on an absolutely packed Gwladys Street terrace with an Everton fan. Superb night that was.

• Backroom

I prefered the return fixture. Spine tingling.

I was 6 or 7 at the time but remember watching the return leg at Ewood on a screen on the pitch, the only time I've done that

Also in the first leg seem to recall a ginger lad for them rounding bobby Mimms and placing it into the side netting

Both games against Derby were fantastic, I enjoyed the home leg more as it felt like the Alamo at the Baseball ground. The Plymouth game had such an effect on me that I used it as the basis for a practice English 'O' level paper.

One game that I remember was the Speedie game against Newcastle. Thought he was going to start a riot! Speedie had the ability to get the supporters going, his 100% application was a joy to watch. What I'd give for a new 'Speedie' in the team at the moment.

I also attended the England V Spain world cup game at the Bernabeu in 1982. 75,000 on the ground, fantastic atmosphere, somewhat overshadowed by the journey to the ground, and also that I got lost in Madrid after the game.

I was 6 or 7 at the time but remember watching the return leg at Ewood on a screen on the pitch, the only time I've done that

Also in the first leg seem to recall a ginger lad for them rounding bobby Mimms and placing it into the side netting

That would have been Tommy Johnson I think, it was him and Gabbiadini up top for them if I remember correctly.

I was at both games and was 11, the atmosphere at both was amazing, but the Baseball Ground was a horrible little thing where the home fans sometimes sat in the third tier of that stand behind the goal, lobbing things in to us below.

The worst atmosphere I experienced was a year or so later when we got beat on away goals to Palace over two legs as it was then, everyone was absolutely devatstated, including me, crying our bloody eyes out!

Having scousers in my family I was taken on the Kop as a kid and it was something else, as was Ibrox for an Old Firm game I was taken to by a friends Dad who was a Rangers fan.

Ah Rovers v City! Postponed original date cos of snow. Chaos with more traffic than the roads could take. Police were stopping City fans in Darwen, telling them to park and walk "its only 5 minutes!"

Terrific atmosphere for a few minutes but not when we went behind again. Big cheer for Duggie coming on for one of his last games.

VE Day for me.

Does this not hit home as to how dull and stale the atmosphere is at most English games...

The Boca game was like that for the whole 2 hours we were in the ground, non-stop, from all 3 sides (4th side is just boxes) and when Maradonna appeard in his box and waved the whole place went over the top nuts.

Back to Rovers games, the 5 for me that were head and shoulders above all other games for the prolonged intensity of emotion and atmosphere were the City cup tie, Plymouth, Turd Moor boxing day 77, Derby play off at home and VE Day. I would pay anything to go to any one of those again

My favourites, San Lorenzo fans from Buenos Aries, Argentina. They really do take support to the next level. On my Bucket List would be one of the Buenos Aries derbies involving this lot!

Any others?

Fantastic, CLB! Be nice if Rovers could replicate that at Turf Moor on Sunday! "OOOOOOOH BLACKBURN ROVERS" :)

Best Rovers atmospheres, Derby away, Newcastle Home, Burnley when Tugay scored and the cup semi at Old Trafford. Loudest cheer ever for a Rovers goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUJ6AJBGSrM

Think one that I remember fondly for all the right reason's was the football League centenary tournament (something credit festival?) at Wembley in 88 (Two visits to Wembley with Rovers within a year not bad for a second division team :) ), each team had supporters segregated just by a barrier which you could duck under, and most decided to join the Tranmere supporters at our end of the ground anyway, as they were the underdogs and doing well (Rovers got knocked out in the first game), made for a good laugh with supporters from various clubs mixing, enjoying the weekend during the games and after in the pubs.

As other's have mentioned the Derby away play off game for intensity can't be matched

Ah Rovers v City! Postponed original date cos of snow. Chaos with more traffic than the roads could take. Police were stopping City fans in Darwen, telling them to park and walk "its only 5 minutes!"

Terrific atmosphere for a few minutes but not when we went behind again. Big cheer for Duggie coming on for one of his last games.

VE Day for me.

Yeah I remember Duggie coming on as sub and being ineffectual, very sad, probably the best player we've ever had but the years and injuries had caught up with him. A few years back he would have given them a game on his own. City were brilliant that night once they stepped up a gear. Bell, Lee, Summerbee and co had miles too much pace for us.

Archived