BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

We are once again in a situation where the people trusted to look after out club make us cross our fingers and hope for the best.

And there's nothing we can do about it.

3 managers signed by Venkys and not one would makes the average walk-on want to buy a ticket.

We need an experienced and respected manager..why the fook are we looking at this fella Appleton?

The people in charge STILL have not learned from previous mistakes have they...dear God!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey come on.

Pompey was a war zone with players and staff exiting rapidly due to Administration.

At Blackpool, they'd lost 5 out of 7 games prior to Holloway leaving with a return of 2 points. In very short time, made them very difficult to beat with just 2 losses in 11.

Got a good feeling about Appleton.

Seriously this has cheered me up... mercer being positive lol.

I agree Appleton has done well at Pool so far and people speak highly of him. I always remember hearing him at Portsmouth and thinking what a top bloke who is showing class in adversity...opposite of Kean.

One thing not being mentioned...what are his odds of surviving when Shebby will be against him to spite Shaw? Not a great place to work.

• Backroom

So if he does poorly and gets sacked is it Shebbys turn to pick from his list of misfits again next?

Underwhelmed by the appointment but was quietly happy with Berg at first so will give him a chance which seems the minimum as fans we should do

To Blame Appleton for Pompey's demise is grossly unfair and those who have mocked him because of his appearance are an embarrassment.

Well said! It sickens me when managers get called "Big Fat Sam", "Bald Scottish @#/?" etc. No need.

What exactly has he done to qualify to manage us? I could manage a team and get a record like he has...

I'll support him but I'm about 95% this will end up as another failure for a number of reasons...

His poor record

His impact at Blackpool

His attitude towards Blackpool owner (what is he expecting to happen here)

No one really wants him here bar the person making the decision

Can't see him inspiring people,!

Apparently a source close to Shebby Singh says that he isn't happy with the decision, but he'll remain doing what he has always been doing, just watching from the sidelines and reviewing the new manager's performance. I think everyone finds this hard to believe, but he said Shebby Singh places the club above himself and wants Rovers to succeed, even if it meant appointing a manager he didn't choose.

Same source that said Shebby never interfered with first team selection and training, contrary to popular belief. Well, whatever, I leave it to you guys.

• Backroom
What managerial qualities are they basing this appointment on then??

:huh:

Bald. Very white. Inexperienced. Dour. Poor overall managerial record. Rumoured to have the potential to be the best coach to ever exist.

Sign him up.

Apparently a source close to Shebby Singh says that he isn't happy with the decision, but he'll remain doing what he has always been doing, just watching from the sidelines and reviewing the new manager's performance. I think everyone finds this hard to believe, but he said Shebby Singh places the club above himself and wants Rovers to succeed, even if it meant appointing a manager he didn't choose.

Same source that said Shebby never interfered with first team selection and training, contrary to popular belief. Well, whatever, I leave it to you guys.

The phrase "give them enough rope" may seem appropriate.

Im just baffled at why he is even on the list in the first place, apart from the fact he's cheap.

Will give any manager backing to a point, but if the rumours about who was/is interested are true, he'd struugle to make the top 10 of most peoples list.

Im just baffled at why he is even on the list in the first place, apart from the fact he's cheap.

Will give any manager backing to a point, but if the rumours about who was/is interested are true, he'd struugle to make the top 10 of most peoples list.

He seems to fit Venkys original remit for a manager. Young, English and supposedly an up and comer. Doesn't make sense to me with O'Driscall and Billy Davies out there.

If the guy is Shaw's candidate then he isn't going to get a 6 months contract, more like two to three years. Which means Rovers will be more financially in the brown stuff when they eventually sack him and have to pay him off before the end of the season.

just give him a rolling 12 months contract.

just hope Shebby doesnt tell him who to appoint as number 2 or which players to sign.

thats the manager job!!!

Interested to hear what you know of him as record isn't particularly impressive

Something of a cult hero player for us, got career shortning injury in 2002 just before the wolves choked and we got automatic for the first time. He became Head of our Academy after getting his badges until 2011. when he went to pompey. Is thought of highly from within West Brom as we aided Portsmouth with the loans of George Thorne and Scott Allan. Is by all accounts a good man manager and plays flowing football. Apparently he doesn't take guff from anybody, So christ know how long its going to last.

Edit O'Driscoll would have been great, but, he's just finished dealing with lunatic owners at Forest doubt he fancies it again so soon. So if thats disrespectful

Archived