BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Battersby and Currie

• Backroom

Anyone any idea where these two are going to get their cash from to takeover Rovers? I may have missed it somewhere else, but on the face of it they seem like nice chaps and rovers fans, but nothing else....where is the coin coming from????

If you read more from interviews etc, you'd know they'd be the frontmen of a consortium of backers.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They run a finance group called Seneca so they would raise the capital to buy the club through a consortium of investors.

They therefore would be able to raise the £20 million or so to buy the club but the huge barrier will be the existing debt level that will be transferred if a sale is made.

They should keep their powder dry and buy it from the Receivers.

They run a finance group called Seneca so they would raise the capital to buy the club through a consortium of investors.

They therefore would be able to raise the £20 million or so to buy the club but the huge barrier will be the existing debt level that will be transferred if a sale is made.

Has anybody else heard a MUCH bigger number than 20, btw?

They should keep their powder dry and buy it from the Receivers.

In terms of 'normal' and more general business scenarios, you'd be correct in your observation Theno.

With regards to the football fraternity, football related creditors cannot be written off by administration, they still stand. Heaven knows what they must total?

I guess based on that theory, the worry must be that administration would then quickly lead to liquidation unless someone was either wealthy or stupid enough to pick up the financial legacy of the past 30 months.

Food for thought IMO.

Key is for IB & IC to get in the ears of the 'advisers' (or part owenrs!!??) of the Rao family which I believe they have attempted previously without success.

The summer could be interesting as things will have to come to a head soon, or perhaps more like 12-18 months, as our current financial situation/model is surely not sustainable - something will have to give?

Anyone any idea where these two are going to get their cash from to takeover Rovers? I may have missed it somewhere else, but on the face of it they seem like nice chaps and rovers fans, but nothing else....where is the coin coming from????

Don't think they are without coin but not to the scale needed in their own right.

Don't know a great deal about Currie but Battersby's affiliations with Rovers go back 40 years+, so no doubt about it, he is a big fan.

He's pretty sharp but I also think he's an opportunist and possibly explains why he's in the business line he is.

if you listen to all of his interviews it tell u.

from his business partners and investors

if you listen to all of his interviews it tell u.

from his business partners and investors

There is an article about Seneca in the Mail on Sunday today.Something about they are launching a Bank according to Ian Currie.Nothing about Rovers in it but perhaps a clue about what they do etc etc

Don't think they are without coin but not to the scale needed in their own right.

Don't know a great deal about Currie but Battersby's affiliations with Rovers go back 40 years+, so no doubt about it, he is a big fan.

He's pretty sharp but I also think he's an opportunist and possibly explains why he's in the business line he is.

the two Ian's are fans - that much is pretty clear. If they can pick a business up off the floor, turn it around into a profitable business (well, as profitable as Rovers could ever be) and get a return for the investors they bring to the table then were is the harm in that? Rovers would be back to being a well run club, respected within the game and hopefully have a solid base to try and progress back into the PL again. Personally, I can't see what the negativity towards Seneca from some quarters is all about...

There will never be another Jack Walker, so we just have to hope that whoever acquires the club from Venkys is more in the Seneca mould than the Venkys mould.

the two Ian's are fans - that much is pretty clear. If they can pick a business up off the floor, turn it around into a profitable business (well, as profitable as Rovers could ever be) and get a return for the investors they bring to the table then were is the harm in that? Rovers would be back to being a well run club, respected within the game and hopefully have a solid base to try and progress back into the PL again. Personally, I can't see what the negativity towards Seneca from some quarters is all about...

There will never be another Jack Walker, so we just have to hope that whoever acquires the club from Venkys is more in the Seneca mould than the Venkys mould.

Good post. From where we are now it would be Utopia to have the club run by proper Rovers fans who only want what is best coupled with sound management. The negativity is now sadly ingrained into a fair proportion of Rovers fans and that will take a long time (if ever) before it goes away.

Nothing at all against the 2 Ian's but why on earth would 'high net worth investors' be interested in buying a football club - especially one that appears to be leaking money on a hourly basis?!

I know that prudent management will plug the holes and prevent the leakage, but it appears most if not all clubs still need to be propped up by their owners and capital injections made.

Where is the investment return in that?

Seneca would simply be investing other peoples money in the club - but surely to goodness these people would be looking for a return on their money? How can that ever be realised from a football club? Could only be through assett sales.

If there is ANY profit to be made then surely it is better for it to remain within the club rather than be returned to investors as dividends?

Unless Seneca's clients are all philanthropist looking to make financial losses I can't comprehend what would entice them to 'invest' in a money pit...

Good points John.

Many of us have been fans for the last 40 years etc. etc. but that alone doesn't make anyone a suitable owner in the current financial of the game today.

I can't see how anyone can pass any informed comment whatsoever on the suitability or otherwise of Messrs Currie and Battersby as owners without knowing the following:

1) Do they definitely have "investors" (Mug punters?) in place?

2 ) If yes, who exactly are those investors? and

3) If they took over what would be the approximate level of support and funding the Club could expect post takeover?

Nothing at all against the 2 Ian's but why on earth would 'high net worth investors' be interested in buying a football club - especially one that appears to be leaking money on a hourly basis?!

I know that prudent management will plug the holes and prevent the leakage, but it appears most if not all clubs still need to be propped up by their owners and capital injections made.

Where is the investment return in that?

Seneca would simply be investing other peoples money in the club - but surely to goodness these people would be looking for a return on their money? How can that ever be realised from a football club? Could only be through assett sales.

If there is ANY profit to be made then surely it is better for it to remain within the club rather than be returned to investors as dividends?

Unless Seneca's clients are all philanthropist looking to make financial losses I can't comprehend what would entice them to 'invest' in a money pit...

Unless you're the Oystons taking £12million out of Blackpool last year!!

Well perhaps better stick with Venkys then eh?

Please don't shatter the illusion so quickly.The Ian's are clearly not mugs and Currie has been on the board at Bolton and reportedly has been an adviser on some football club deals in the past.I am certain they would not have come forward if they didnt have a plan.The bigger question is how bad a state is the club in and is it a basket case beyond anybody buying?

It is imperative IMO that these 2 have everyone's unequivocal support!

Does it really matter, Darrenrover? The only thing that matters is if they can broker a sale, or find a way to oblige Venky's to sell. Without that it doesn't really make any difference what the fans think, surely?

(they have my support, btw)

Does it really matter, Darrenrover? The only thing that matters is if they can broker a sale, or find a way to oblige Venky's to sell. Without that it doesn't really make any difference what the fans think, surely?

(they have my support, btw)

I agree with your point but a united force is more likely to be heard than a divided one. Even by The Indian deaf mutes.

Irrelevant from a fans perspective where the brass comes from, even from Pune, as long as its managed prudently and not just thrown into the trough for parasitic pigs to feed from.

We need leadership throughout the club as everyone knows (well almost everyone) and a group of people, savvy, well connected that we can all re-unite behind.

Whether the punatics listen or not, we can but live in hope.

It is imperative IMO that these 2 have everyone's unequivocal support!

I think they have alot of support darrenrover but its beginning to look a bit hopeless unless something is happening behind the scenes that is being kept quiet.These idiots from Puna don't seem to be talking to anybody apart from Shebby Singh.So they can have all the support in the world but where does that leave us?

I think they have alot of support darrenrover but its beginning to look a bit hopeless unless something is happening behind the scenes that is being kept quiet.These idiots from Puna don't seem to be talking to anybody apart from Shebby Singh.So they can have all the support in the world but where does that leave us?

Nothing but a brick wall!

That's the issue. But 25,000 battering it in one place has a much better chance of breaching it than a dozen or so independent bodies firing ping pong balls.

I think the only hope we have is for the fans to get behind messers Battersby and Currie. I've recently met Ian Battersby and he is a decent bloke. He has been everywhere following Rovers for 50 years. He cares immensely about the club.

I'm clinging on to the hope that they can somehow get Venky's to the table and get them to sell up. They aren't making false promises of bankrolling to the premier league etc; but they do promise the club would be financially stable with a sound management structure.

I just long for the day I can start supporting 'our club' again. A club that belongs to the town, run by competent people who care. I genuinely believe, having met ian battersby, that his consortium could bring that.

I think the only hope we have is for the fans to get behind messers Battersby and Currie. I've recently met Ian Battersby and he is a decent bloke. He has been everywhere following Rovers for 50 years. He cares immensely about the club.

I'm clinging on to the hope that they can somehow get Venky's to the table and get them to sell up. They aren't making false promises of bankrolling to the premier league etc; but they do promise the club would be financially stable with a sound management structure.

I just long for the day I can start supporting 'our club' again. A club that belongs to the town, run by competent people who care. I genuinely believe, having met ian battersby, that his consortium could bring that.

think the worying aspect is what is the debt figure......hopefully if we are relegated they will come to the table and sell up as apart from the decreasing parachute payments ( the last one is summer 2014 ) what is there left for Venkys

Archived