BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

Just wondering if this Fryatt guy is any relation to the Jim Fryatt we had as a CF for a couple of seasons in the late 60's?

He was no footballer, but his heading ability was phenominal! I've never seen anything like it before or since. Jim could head a ball with more force and direction than some can kick it these days. What a character!

And those sideburns !

Remember when he soared at the Blackburn End to equalise with a header against Mercer/Allison's City in a FA Cup match in the late sixties - lifted the roof of the BE and the ground was rocking with 40odd thousand in that night.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering if this Fryatt guy is any relation to the Jim Fryatt we had as a CF for a couple of seasons in the late 60's?

He was no footballer, but his heading ability was phenominal! I've never seen anything like it before or since. Jim could head a ball with more force and direction than some can kick it these days. What a character! :wacko:

Yeoman Jim Fryatt looked and was built more like a farmer than a footballer but boy, could he head a football. Good lower league forward but wouldn't get a game in the modern game because he was so immobile.

And those sideburns !

Remember when he soared at the Blackburn End to equalise with a header against Mercer/Allison's City in a FA Cup match in the late sixties - lifted the roof of the BE and the ground was rocking with 40odd thousand in that night.

Yeah, I was there that night. We had a chance for about 5 minutes. City were in another class.

Jim was just one of the long line of Fred Pickering replacements that never came off. George Jones, Martin Britt, Alan Gilliver, Don Martin, Jim Fryatt, Frank Lord. All were bought with a view to replacing Fred's goals. We must have spent a fortune when we could have given him a pay rise and kept a great player. Jones started OK but got injured, Don was a class player but not a prolific goal scorer. Gilliver and Britt were already carrying serious injuries when they signed. Jim and Frank Lord were just not good enough.

Ironically we had a natural replacement at the club already ( John Byrom ) but he was allowed to join Bolton !

Yeah, I was there that night. We had a chance for about 5 minutes. City were in another class.

Jim was just one of the long line of Fred Pickering replacements that never came off. George Jones, Martin Britt, Alan Gilliver, Don Martin, Jim Fryatt, Frank Lord. All were bought with a view to replacing Fred's goals. We must have spent a fortune when we could have given him a pay rise and kept a great player. Jones started OK but got injured, Don was a class player but not a prolific goal scorer. Gilliver and Britt were already carrying serious injuries when they signed. Jim and Frank Lord were just not good enough.

Ironically we had a natural replacement at the club already ( John Byrom ) but he was allowed to join Bolton !

I was on that night too Tyrone. I think we'd sold out (52,000) but the game was postponed a couple of times because of the weather. I think City went on to win the cup.

I was on that night too Tyrone. I think we'd sold out (52,000) but the game was postponed a couple of times because of the weather. I think City went on to win the cup.

I was on the Blackburn End for the game but prior to one of the postponed games Rovers asked for volunteers to help clear the pitch of snow. I distinctly remember that some of the pitch was cleared enough for the players to carry out a training session and we were allowed to stay and watch as a reward for our hard work. We were well beaten by City but I think we equalised with a Fryatt header. I also remember the queues for tickets as this was the first time I had known an all ticket match at Ewood. They were bought at the turnstiles and you went through into the ground and out again.

Happy times.

Guest Norbert

We already have a squad of 65! Unless someone really good comes along, or God forbid, we sell our top players we should perhaps be more cautious in the next couple of days. Our finances need to be under control very soon as we can't rely on the Raos covering the losses forever.

I was on the Blackburn End for the game but prior to one of the postponed games Rovers asked for volunteers to help clear the pitch of snow. I distinctly remember that some of the pitch was cleared enough for the players to carry out a training session and we were allowed to stay and watch as a reward for our hard work. We were well beaten by City but I think we equalised with a Fryatt header. I also remember the queues for tickets as this was the first time I had known an all ticket match at Ewood. They were bought at the turnstiles and you went through into the ground and out again.

Happy times.

The tickets went on sale at 12.00 midday on a Sunday. Me and a pal decided to queue up overnight to be sure of getting tickets. It was absolutely freezing and we were wearing the suits we'd gone out in ! Bloody daft youths ! By 12.00 midday there was a queue of about 200. A pal of ours came at about 12.30 walked straight up and got his tickets right away !

Because of the postponements two key players who would have played in the original game ( Eamon Rogers and Billy Wilson ) were suspended so we fielded a weakened team. I think there was 42,000 fans on that night, I was stood towards the back of the Blackburn End and it was scarily packed. City went on to win the cup that season and unfortunately their performance against Rovers was probably their best of that campaign. They had Summerbee, Lee, Bell, Neil Young and Tony Coleman playing up front at the height of their powers. I've never seen a team move the ball from back to front so rapidly. We'd be pressing on the edge of their box, we,d lose the ball and two passes later they'd be scoring !

Our goal came from a free kick out on the right. Metcalfe who'd been fouled , floated in a nice free kick and Jim Fryatt rose above the crowd to nod in a nice goal. That made it 1-1 I think and for five minutes we were in the game. Then they scored again and that was that.

Metcalfe had a blinder that night and ran the City left back ( Glyn Pardoe ) ragged, other than that we huffed and puffed but were well beaten at the end.

Saddest thing for me was the greatest ever Rover in my time, Bryan Douglas, coming on as a sub and being totally in-effective. The end of a great career and and an era.

Guest Norbert

Is Givet still here? I'd move him before Dann, though I don't think many are wanting to take him. If someone offered £5-6m for Scott, I'd probably let him go, and find a solid, experienced player on the cheap if possible. If not, then I'd make do with who we have, as that Evans can play there too.

• Moderation Lead

Is Givet still here? I'd move him before Dann, though I don't think many are wanting to take him. If someone offered £5-6m for Scott, I'd probably let him go, and find a solid, experienced player on the cheap if possible. If not, then I'd make do with who we have, as that Evans can play there too.

Givet gone, to his hometown club.

Givets gone. We'd be lucky to get 2M for Dann imo, most can see his golden period at Brum was the best he'll ever be and he's not prem standard. I'd like a leader and organiser there asap as I think it would be better for both Hanley and Kean. Perhaps an ageing CB who's bought a few T-shirts or a proven championship stalwart, but a vocal one.

• Moderation Lead

How about Martin Kelly from Liverpool on loan? Not sure as to his fitness but is going to struggle to get a game at Anfield with the 2 imminent defensive incomings.

He's a full back anyway, rather than a centre back isn't he?

He's a full back anyway, rather than a centre back isn't he?

No mate. Centre back by trade but most of his appearances have been at right back. Bit like Kolo Toure when he started out at Arsenal, Richards at City, Jones / Smalling at Utd, etc.

On the bench today vs Man Utd but do think Liverpool are well stock at the back. Cissokho / Enrique at left back, Johnson at right back & Skrtel, Agger and 2 new signings expected (Sakho & Ilori) at centre back. Must be worth a cheeky bid.

Archived