BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I just don't understand why they are doing this. 

Michael Vaughan just made the point that Root is looking to make sure India has no chance of winning the match, he wants to give them zero hope on the final day, mind games.

Vaughan pointed out that he would dangle the carrot, give them some hope, but every captains different. 

I'm with Vaughan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Michael Vaughan just made the point that Root is looking to make sure India has no chance of winning the match, he wants to give them zero hope on the final day, mind games.

Vaughan pointed out that he would dangle the carrot, give them some hope, but every captains different. 

I'm with Vaughan. 

Just listened to Sir Al Cook trying to justify the tactics. We think Mowbray overthinks things, blimey I've never heard so much tosh in my life.

Edit - he did make it clear that he was trying to guess why Root and Silverwood had done what they did, he didn't suggest that he would have made the same decision.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

I’m not keen on this cricket social from BBC which has replaced TMS due to talk sport having the broadcasting rights.

Cricket social is TMS crew watching channel 4 and talking about the game, it often descends into who can shout the loudest with little coverage of the game itself. 

I’ll be giving it a miss in future..

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I'm with Vaughan. 

The Indian's have enough batting to chase a big total rapidly. We need to ensure that their chances of winning the game is nil. If our bowlers can't bowl them out on that wicket in over a day it's a poor do.

For me, Root and England batted on to reduce the number of overs India could chase down a total and make sure that we can ensure the best we can they cant chase it down. Also why take any risk in going 1 nil down after the 1st test? 

Very easy for us sat at home to say we would do this or that. 

Did Michael Vaughan ever captain England in India or Sri Lanka?

It’s true that it looks like England just haven’t been positive enough. It isn’t what we would expect from a side so far ahead in the game.

I do understand why they’re doing what they’re doing though.

If England had gone more guns ho in their approach, they could quite easily have got all out with a lead of under 400 and still a heck of a lot of overs remaining. England know India are quite capable of getting big scores quickly. 

Let’s be honest, if England lose this test, their chances of winning a 4 test series in India against this particular team would be close to zero. Time will tell. 

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, Root and England batted on to reduce the number of overs India could chase down a total and make sure that we can ensure the best we can they cant chase it down. Also why take any risk in going 1 nil down after the 1st test? 

Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka but not India. 

* There was a series to India during his reign but Freddy was captain due to injury. 

Edited by matt83

When England went into bat ironically I thought I’d like a 420 lead. But was picturing it as a declaration and earlier in the day. Once Buttler was out I’d have stuck them in for the extra 6 or 7 overs.

Wins in India are like hens teeth for England generally and anyone vs this Indian side. We have a great opportunity to win. Also I think going on means the draw is far more likely than the win/defeat. But if the Indians chase 400+ just got to tip your hat to that. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't that the whole point of a message board like this??

For what its worth the fewer overs you give India to chase 420, the fewer overs you also have to bowl them out. As an armchair captain I would have chucked the kitchen sink at it once we got beyond 350, and either got bowled out or declared when the lead hit 400 to give us as much time as possible to get the ten wickets. If the Indians chased 400 on that pitch then they thoroughly deserve to win, as far as I'm concerned. Its the classic glass half full/half empty scenario but give me a positive attitude every time. That's how India won in Australia recently.

Just now, oldjamfan1 said:

Isn't that the whole point of a message board like this??

For what its worth the fewer overs you give India to chase 420, the fewer overs you also have to bowl them out. As an armchair captain I would have chucked the kitchen sink at it once we got beyond 350, and either got bowled out or declared when the lead hit 400 to give us as much time as possible to get the ten wickets. If the Indians chased 400 on that pitch then they thoroughly deserve to win, as far as I'm concerned. Its the classic glass half full/half empty scenario but give me a positive attitude every time. That's how India won in Australia recently.

Why give then any chance of winning? 

Why risk losing a first test in 4 test series. 

Root was right to be cautious. 

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think the difficulty for a lot of people is that once we got to 375 you would think that would be enough. You have to back yourself and it isn't the first time we have been overly cautious in recent years. Root got burned at Headingley v Windies a few years ago but they happen once in a Preston Guild and shouldn't influence every declaration decision.

Would Allan Border, Clive Lloyd, Waugh, Vaughan, Strauss etc have batted so long today? 

Hopefully we will still bowl India out tomorrow but I would have preferred them to be 3 down tonight.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Suppose it’s the difference between trying to win and trying to avoid defeat. The name of the game is winning the series to do that would have to risk defeat.

If we were 1-0 up and this was the last game id be happy to watch us bat for 5 days not even trying to win. Would be some total. 😂

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think the difficulty for a lot of people is that once we got to 375 you would think that would be enough. You have to back yourself and it isn't the first time we have been overly cautious in recent years. Root got burned at Headingley v Windies a few years ago but they happen once in a Preston Guild and shouldn't influence every declaration decision.

Would Allan Border, Clive Lloyd, Waugh, Vaughan, Strauss etc have batted so long today? 

Hopefully we will still bowl India out tomorrow but I would have preferred them to be 3 down tonight.

Border, Lloyd and Waugh has World class bowlers at the disposal if we had a Shane Warne and etc then fair enough. But we dont produce good enough leg spinners sadly..

Bess and Leach are decent enough but nowhere the finish art yet