BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

17 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Isn't that the whole point of a message board like this??

For what its worth the fewer overs you give India to chase 420, the fewer overs you also have to bowl them out. As an armchair captain I would have chucked the kitchen sink at it once we got beyond 350, and either got bowled out or declared when the lead hit 400 to give us as much time as possible to get the ten wickets. If the Indians chased 400 on that pitch then they thoroughly deserve to win, as far as I'm concerned. Its the classic glass half full/half empty scenario but give me a positive attitude every time. That's how India won in Australia recently.

In Root's defence, this Indian lot are a very special batting side. 7 of them have a test average of over 40! Has this ever happened before? If we somehow lost from this position we would be a laughing stock.

I still think he should have had a few more overs last evening though.

Anyway up to the spinners now. 

Edited by 47er

Ashwin out for 9, dismissed Leach. India 171--7.

Surely we'll win now?

Yesterday I was going to post along the lines of "Anderson surely should only be picked for home tests in future. Not suited to Indian conditions." Then he comes out 5th day and makes the ball talk like he's at Old Trafford!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

They think its all over, it is now! Great win. Root possibly knows a bit more than me!

Thats a superb win away from home, Captain gets a double hundred, spinners actually spinning the ball and Anderson swing it round corners. 

The toss was key, but take nothing away from that performance, brilliant. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

Great sporting news especially after the rubbish served up by England rugby and Rovers at the weekend.

Root's got his mojo back and England are bouncing. India will hit back hard but it's a great way to start the series and totally unexpected against such a strong team.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why give then any chance of winning? 

Why risk losing a first test in 4 test series. 

Root was right to be cautious. 

I'm not being right after the event, I thought I posted yesterday that Root was right to bat our innings out. I can't find the post now, maybe I put it on another site. Root's first job was to make sure India couldn't win the test. His judgement was bang on.

• Like 1

Excellent win! Just listening to the two knights, Cook and Strauss at the end of the Channel 4 made me smile.

Cook: "This is the only time I miss playing, when you can sit down with a beer at the end of the game with the lads" 

Strauss: "Yeah, a great start, but that's all it is, a start. We need to prepare for the next game now and not get carried away"

I know which one I would prefer as my captain.

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not being right after the event, I thought I posted yesterday that Root was right to bat our innings out. I can't find the post now, maybe I put it on another site. Root's first job was to make sure India couldn't win the test. His judgement was bang on.

I think everyone in that argument can claim to be right on this one though old mate. Winning by 220+ runs  also means that those, like me, who thought it overcautious to need 420 runs in the bank, can say 'I told you so'. I know teams have got much better at chasing these days but there was no way on earth was any team going to score that many on that pitch.

Anyway, as they say, all's well that ends well.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Agreed. 

9 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Excellent win! Just listening to the two knights, Cook and Strauss at the end of the Channel 4 made me smile.

Cook: "This is the only time I miss playing, when you can sit down with a beer at the end of the game with the lads" 

Strauss: "Yeah, a great start, but that's all it is, a start. We need to prepare for the next game now and not get carried away"

I know which one I would prefer as my captain.

I know I would both of them in my team and opening the batting

I don't know about anyone else but I'm still buzzing about Tuesday Morning. It was a brilliant way to start the day and put a smile at long last, on the face of everyone, even those who have just a remote interest in cricket.

Brilliant, just brilliant 5 day performance, on the Indian subcontinent. The best I remember in a long time, if not ever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, darrenrover said:

I don't know about anyone else but I'm still buzzing about Tuesday Morning. It was a brilliant way to start the day and put a smile at long last, on the face of everyone, even those who have just a remote interest in cricket.

Brilliant, just brilliant 5 day performance, on the Indian subcontinent. The best I remember in a long time, if not ever.

Yep, it was superb. I just wish there had been English fans present to give the lads the ovation and a bit of atmosphere they deserved at the final wicket. Also, channel4 did a great job, but apart from the live coverage I saw very little of the game anywhere. We’re there highlights broadcast anywhere?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, den said:

Yep, it was superb. I just wish there had been English fans present to give the lads the ovation and a bit of atmosphere they deserved at the final wicket. Also, channel4 did a great job, but apart from the live coverage I saw very little of the game anywhere. We’re there highlights broadcast anywhere?

Only on '4More' den (Channel 4 'catch up'). I watched the 30 minutes highlights of Day 5 twice later that night, so elated was I.

It seems to me that generally our nation may have forgotten to have pride in our successes and all too often want to concentrate, bitch and moan about what may be wrong. It pisses me off no end!

If we're to get out of this pandemic induced mess, we all need to gird up our loins and as one, have a get up and at 'em type attitude. Nobody can change the past but everybody can influence the future!!

WE ARE The Rovers!!!

• Like 1

No Jimmy then.

.@englandcricket have announced a twelve-man squad for the second Test against India. 

Out go Dom Bess, Jimmy Anderson, Jos Buttler and Jofra Archer.

In come Ben Foakes, Moeen Ali, Olly Stone, Stuart Broad and Chris Woakes.

55 minutes ago, den said:

No Jimmy then.

.@englandcricket have announced a twelve-man squad for the second Test against India. 

Out go Dom Bess, Jimmy Anderson, Jos Buttler and Jofra Archer.

In come Ben Foakes, Moeen Ali, Olly Stone, Stuart Broad and Chris Woakes.

I know he's getting on but I thought they would have stuck with Jimmy.

Edit.

And Bess out as well!

You wonder if T Mowbray is picking the side!

Actually, I do know England are determined to implement a rotation policy and stick to it!

Edited by 47er