BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bairstow's technique still isn't right. Mixture of good shots and awkward defence. Root is in the form of his life. Most enjoyable day of cricket in years - England must build on this tomorrow and make at least 450. .

Not read the thread so apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Where does Broad's 8 for 15 rank in terms of all time Test match and/or Ashes hauls?

It's 8th best figures by an Englishman but some are 1800s. 4th best ashes figures. And 21st best test bowling figures of all time top of the pile Jim laker vs Australia 10/53 in 1956.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283203.html

The guy on 5 live sports extra was reeling records off. Can't remember half of them but for those who like their state. Convicts 7th lowest score ever. Australia's 1st innings was the fewest deliveries faced in the first innings in a test match ever. Only 4th time a test team had to bat before lunch having bowled first. Also this game will see the millionth test delivery in England.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this thread but I was at the SA V Aussies game in 2011 the day they were bowled out for 46. I think still the only Test match ever when there was some part of all 4 innings in a day.

That sounds like an amazing days cricket.

Credit to England. From top to bottom. Chuffed for Broad. Root is a cricketing superstar and one of the best players I've seen in an England shirt. Can only get better.

Credit to England. From top to bottom. Chuffed for Broad. Root is a cricketing superstar and one of the best players I've seen in an England shirt. Can only get better.

Yeah Root is doing well, can someone check and make sure he's not from this side of the pennines, he's too good (& happy) for that lot.

I must admit I don't understand the way they play modern Test cricket. Watching England this morning, with so much time left in the match I can only think players from the past would have batted all day, posted a huge score and given Australia no sniff of a chance. Has Buttler never heard of the forward defensive shot ?

• Like 1

And all completely random luck. We had landed in Cape Town that morning a day earlier as we had used some air miles for the flight. We were settled in our hotel by 9am and I saw the second day of the game was on and just decided to go. Got a ticket for the equivalent of £7 and saw Australia complete their first innings of 284 and then bowl South Africa out for 96. Then the Aussies were bowled for 47 in exactly 18 overs, 3 balls less than yesterday although it took them a bit longer to bowl them. Then SA batted without trouble and knocked the runs off by early the following day.

Ward really needs to work on his run up. He's bowling no-balls far to often.

Apart from that we've bowled well again. Stokes has really surprised me with his ability to swing the ball. Didn't know he had that in his locker.

Ward? I meant Wood.

Edited by den

Ward really needs to work on his run up. He's bowling no-balls far to often.

Apart from that we've bowled well again. Stokes has really surprised me with his ability to swing the ball. Didn't know he had that in his locker.

Ward? I meant Wood.

Now it's cost him a wicket.

Edit: my mistake it was Finn who cocked that up

Edited by matt83

Another collapse from the Aussies- can we have the Kiwis back, at least they made a game of it.

Feel sorry once again for those who have bought tickets for DAY 3 (!), let alone Days 4 & 5.

Maybe we should have a couple of impromptu 1 day games to entertain the fans?

Job done. This is such a great ashes win. It's not as high on the list as say 2005 or 2010/11 but I genuinely believed we'd lose this 3-1 or even 4-1 if the weather didn't intervene. Couldn't see us getting 20 wickets nor could I see our batsmen keeping out starc/Johnson. These sporting moments are to be cherished.

Well done lads. Fantastic all round performance. Looks good for the future.

I hope this now puts the KP discussion to bed.

Still our best batsman but with Joe Root now close behind.

• Like 1