BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

btw ...... Whats crackpot about that Amorillo? Most football clubs play a version of 4-5-1 these days don't they?

Dropping the league's second joint top-scorer doesn't seem a little crackpot to you? Rhodes and Gestede have both been in form and seem to offset one another well. If there's only room for one then you go with the guy who scores for fun and you keep someone like Gestede as a game-changer.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to see how on form anyone with anything other than some sort of personal agenda would drop Rhodes. Since he and Gestede have been paired together we've "won" the second half against Birmingham 2-0 with Rhodes bagging a brace, both scored in the away win at Leeds and one set up the other for the winner against Doncaster.

How is that not working exactly?

Personal agenda? :huh: I dont know him personally. I only know what I see.

Just as an aside how do you rate Gestede?

Tbf I'd probably rest Rhodes tonight....

tbf I'd likely rest em both and stick Best in. LT last night warned us that Goodwillie might be in.

I haven't seen enough of Gestede to know whether he's better than Rhodes, but if he is, of course I would play him. Gordon thinks Gestede - from the little he's seen of him - is a better player.

Shouldn't we always play our best team, whichever that is?

I doubt he's a better striker but as a centre forward he is streets in front of JR. Only way JR would get the nod in front of Gested is if Bowyer chose to play 4-4-2 but that would mean dropping one of Taylor / Cairney / Marshall if he thinks that we need to play two defensive mids.

.... Oh or if Gestede broke both his legs. :rover:

If you think Gestede is a better player than Rhodes than you shouldn't be watching football to be honest

How many times you watch Gestede and Rhodes play 'live' recently in China then?

Truth is Gestede has been the better player since the turn of the year whatever tired old lines you care to trot out.

I've seen the last few games because I'm home for xmas

And Gestede has been good no doubt

But lets be clear, Rhodes has consistently scored goals over the course of his career here, regardless how the rest of the team is playing

We may get 1 clear cut chance tonight

Who would you HONESTLY want on the end of it thenodrog? I'd be praying Rhodes was on the end of it

But lets be clear, Rhodes has consistently scored goals over the course of his career here, regardless how the rest of the team is playing

Who would you HONESTLY want on the end of it thenodrog? I'd be praying Rhodes was on the end of it

And who's to say Rhodes inability to hold the ball up won't result in an extra several chances for them?

Is it worth it for one chance for us if we give them 5 more? City are rampant at home, do not give them chances. We play forest this weekend that's the game that matters and I wouldn't want to be going into that after getting our pants pulled down.

The one thing we really don't want is a 5+ goal drubbing and they've done that to much better teams than us this season.

I'v

This a party political broadcast on behalf of the Rhodes party. The only people who use this phrase are politicians - living in China are you a member of the NPC ?

• Backroom

If it's an aerial ball, I'd want Gestede on it straight away. And think the way we'll go about it tonight is either through wing-play or direct balls with little in the way of intricate passing.

Personal agenda? :huh: I dont know him personally. I only know what I see.

Just as an aside how do you rate Gestede?

tbf I'd likely rest em both and stick Best in. LT last night warned us that Goodwillie might be in.

I doubt he's a better striker but as a centre forward he is streets in front of JR. Only way JR would get the nod in front of Gested is if Bowyer chose to play 4-4-2 but that would mean dropping one of Taylor / Cairney / Marshall if he thinks that we need to play two defensive mids.

.... Oh or if Gestede broke both his legs. :rover:

How many times you watch Gestede and Rhodes play 'live' recently in China then?

Truth is Gestede has been the better player since the turn of the year whatever tired old lines you care to trot out.

I've seen every game since the turn of the year and trust me, Gestede has not been the better player of the two at all. In particular the second half at Leeds, where Rhodes was holding the ball up, winning throw-ins and corners to keep possession and generally chasing everything (you know, all the things apparently he can't or doesn't do) whilst Gestede was virtually anonymous.

The thing is, I don't think even you really believe that Gestede is a better player than Rhodes, but the thrill of being 'controversial' on here is just too much for you to resist

If Kompany plays tonight (which I think he will) he'll have Gestede in his pocket.

Then what??

Rhodes offers a bit more in my opinion, and that doesn't alter much when he's faced with better defenders. Still back him to finish that one chance he gets

I also find it laughable that older posters who are always so quick to jump down the younger poster's throats for being fickle and wannabee football managers etc are the ones who, regardless of Rhodes' 40 odd goals for the club, have decided tat after a few performances Gestede (who has a track record of being crap) the better striker

Imagine if it had been the other way round!!

We did fine at Ewood, didn't we?

Well this is becoming another Man City thread. But if you want my opinion, and many don't, the only way we have any hope, is to try to get some kind of possession in all areas of the park. If we don't get good possession, we won't get into their area, for anything to drop at Rhodes's feet. If we can't do that, City will walk it and Rovers won't be in it. It might become embarrassing. To do that, you put your best team out. By best team, I mean the team best equipped to keep the ball and make some kind of progress with it. That's what we did in the first game and that's what we should try to do again.

We did fine at Ewood, didn't we?

Well this is becoming another Man City thread. But if you want my opinion, and many don't, the only way we have any hope, is to try to get some kind of possession in all areas of the park. If we can't do that, City will walk it and Rovers won't be in it. It might become embarrassing. To do that, you put your best team out. By best team, I mean the team best equipped to keep the ball and make some kind of progress with it. That's what we did in the first game and that's what we should try to do again.

True but even if we get hammered tonight, as long as the players give 100%, then it shouldn't be seen as an embarrassment. City can take apart anyone at home it seems.

I think you're right den. And I am pretty sure Bowyer agrees with you too. Hence why he played Gestede in the first leg. Because playing premier league players (and probably the best side in it) called for a packed midfield and a centre forward who is big enough to provide an out ball, relieve pressure on the back four and also get amongst the opposition back four from set pieces and crosses. I think most would agree that Rhodes just isnt capable of doing that. But that is premier league football and not championship. Because in the championship, our bread and butter, Rhodes shortcomings can be forgiven because he is deadly at finishing. Bigger league and better players is an unknown quantity for him. But the fact bowyer dropped him for the first leg, the fact no premier league side has gambled on him and the fact Strachan overlooks him suggests many have their doubts.

I think you're right den. And I am pretty sure Bowyer agrees with you too. Hence why he played Gestede in the first leg. Because playing premier league players (and probably the best side in it) called for a packed midfield and a centre forward who is big enough to provide an out ball, relieve pressure on the back four and also get amongst the opposition back four from set pieces and crosses. I think most would agree that Rhodes just isnt capable of doing that. But that is premier league football and not championship. Because in the championship, our bread and butter, Rhodes shortcomings can be forgiven because he is deadly at finishing and in fact what he offers at this level outweighs the disadvantages making him the more obvious choice then Gestede in championship games. Bigger league and better players is an unknown quantity for him. But the fact bowyer dropped him for the first leg, the fact no premier league side has gambled on him and the fact Strachan overlooks him suggests many have their doubts.

Slightly amended but generally agree with you. League games it's a different kettle of fish, and Rhodes finishing is superior to the 'extras' Gestede offers. But tonight a bit more of a target man and outlet would be of greater benefit. Horses for courses really.

The thing is, I don't think even you really believe that Gestede is a better player than Rhodes, but the thrill of being 'controversial' on here is just too much for you to resist

The thrill of being controversial? In this case by suggesting he'd play Best I wasn't right but I was very close in principle. However I was a lot nearer to being right than anyone else on here I believe. :tu:

Big test for Bowyer now. Needs to make sure the side don't let tonight's result derail what little chance we have of the play offs. Imo, our performance didn't warrant the score line. Lets be honest, this lot should win the PL at a canter. They displayed some sublime finishing and that extra 10-20% which money does buy. We battled hard and did OK. Bowyer needs to make sure we don't let this affect confidence.

Posted this on the City thread, but should be in the Bowyer thread really:

We've come a long way in the past 12 months which has culminated in 2 decent performances against the best side in the country.

I personally couldn't be more happy with how far we've come under Bowyer, yes he's inexperienced, yes his team selection and substitutions are suspect at times but he's seen us through a very difficult period and for that we should all be grateful.

Just a quick word on Lowe and DJ, I thought Lowe had a decent game, very busy and covers the hard yards, goes unnoticed most of the time. DJ looked sharp to say hes hardly played, and will be a good asset coming off the bench in the run in.

Things are looking up at last.

• Backroom

Agreed Gav

Let's just hope we keep it up, it isn't vital to be in the top 6 yet just to be within touching distance, looking at the league I would think we are as well equipped as anyone to make a late surge if we keep our heads and don't panic now

In dreamland if we can get within 6 points or so of the automatic spots going into the last month or so even better

I think GB has built a tremendous squad in such a short space of time.

I really believe a front two of Gestede and Rhodes is going to be lethal and could fire us into the play offs. Man City showed last night they if you have quality up front you don't need to play well to win games. With Rhodes and Gestede we will win games when we are not at our best.

The thing with this current crop of players is that you know they'll do you proud. They give everything, they won't just roll over. I enjoy watching these players with their fantastic attitude and lots of quality as well. Even when we've had bad results, such as the Birmingham one, we have played so well and given everything. Unfortunately, individual mistakes have cost us a lot but I'd prefer that than losing because we just simply haven't shown up.

It looks like people don't read or care for post-game manager reactions. It's one thing to make mistakes and lose games, but the embarassing things seemingly all our managers have said in post game interviews in the past few years has hit the ceiling on several occasions, most recently with Bowyer. Calling City the best team in the world and saying he is "proud" that we lost 5-0 is just vile and disgraceful. Why do we always pick cowards for managers and not anyone with any respect for the club and its legacy? Get Di Canio in, at least he'll act like a man. Bowyer can kean off and stick to League 2 where his level is, there he can be "proud" of losing games 5-0.

It looks like people don't read or care for post-game manager reactions. It's one thing to make mistakes and lose games, but the embarassing things seemingly all our managers have said in post game interviews in the past few years has hit the ceiling on several occasions, most recently with Bowyer. Calling City the best team in the world and saying he is "proud" that we lost 5-0 is just vile and disgraceful. Why do we always pick cowards for managers and not anyone with any respect for the club and its legacy? Get Di Canio in, at least he'll act like a man. Bowyer can kean off and stick to League 2 where his level is, there he can be "proud" of losing games 5-0.

Obviously you prefer dishonesty MrE....... I can't say that I'm at all surprised.

Now Kean off and wind some fans of other clubs up.

• Backroom

Looks like you don't read them either haha. We put on a show against one of the best squads in world football. We came away with a better scoreline than some of the other best squads in football.

Bowyer was proud of the manner in which we played, not the result.

Go and support a League 2 team if you want pure bravery and little talent ;)

Now, I think this is a text book example of a wind up merchant.

Looks like you don't read them either haha. We put on a show against one of the best squads in world football. We came away with a better scoreline than some of the other best squads in football.

Bowyer was proud of the manner in which we played, not the result.

Go and support a League 2 team if you want pure bravery and little talent ;)

perhaps they could articulate themselves better?

I'm very proud of my team today, despite the 5 goals, the performance was strong and better than other teams who have come here, that are supposedly above ourselves. I think if we can take the desire and commitment from the first 45 into our league performances we'll start to see the consistency we've been lacking and we can cement our play-off ambitions.

Archived