BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] January Transfer Window 2014

neophox

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Varnery was excellent when he was at B'pool that season in the PL but can't recall him doing anything since. Must be an improvement on DJC or Best though and at a fraction of the wages. Getting rid of these 2 clowns permanently would be a massive boost to this club... here's hoping.

The main aim in this window was to reduce the wage bill and ship out some of the deadwood. I think most supporters believe that this has been done quite well. Indeed, some of the deadwood lower down the club has also been shed which is no bad thing. Clearly Gary's little jolly to Pune was very successful.[/quote

Shedding the deadwood is hardly a master stoke pb.

For the jolly to be "very successful" surely we have to invest in players that improve us?

And "main aim to reduce wage bill" suggests we're not aiming to get out of this division.

The only Division the Venkys wanted us to leave was the Premier !

Was talking to a few leeds fans last night and they are gutted if Varney leaves, not a starting player for us but what a great one to throw on that can run at tired defenders. Also from what i saw in an interview with McDermott he does not want him to leave, not like our Leon Best then.

The main aim in this window was to reduce the wage bill and ship out some of the deadwood. I think most supporters believe that this has been done quite well. Indeed, some of the deadwood lower down the club has also been shed which is no bad thing. Clearly Gary's little jolly to Pune was very successful.[/quote

Shedding the deadwood is hardly a master stoke pb.

For the jolly to be "very successful" surely we have to invest in players that improve us?

And "main aim to reduce wage bill" suggests we're not aiming to get out of this division.

The financial problems are the immediate issues to deal with as they threaten the long term future of the club. The rebuilding may take more than a season or two but if the financial problems aren't dealt with we may not get that time. The owners have messed up big time and I seriously doubt anyone thinks they can rectify the situation. However, at least Gary is trying to rebuild the playing squad in a more realistic way by bringing in younger players and trying to improve them. That appears to be the way that the club is now going and I would suggest that with FFP it is the only that the Rovers can prosper no matter who owns the club in the future.

I thought Varnery was excellent when he was at B'pool that season in the PL but can't recall him doing anything since. Must be an improvement on DJC or Best though and at a fraction of the wages. Getting rid of these 2 clowns permanently would be a massive boost to this club... here's hoping.

Interesting dilemma, on paper Leon Best looks a far better prospect, international and prem experience, recovered from injury and you'd have though motivated to get on with it. In reality, he's fallen out with the manager, cant cope with his ego and in the opinion of most is presently stealing his living and therefore presumably isnt a healthy presence around the squad.

We're proposing to replace him with a player who has limited prem experience, has fallen out with his manager, hasnt got close to the first team and has just refused to play. On paper at least he doesnt look as good, but we're assuming he'll be an improvement. hmmmmmmm...

All it seems he has in his favour is that the manager wants him, and he's cheaper (and maybe less challenging) to run. Its just my opinion, but if Bowyer brings in Varney, but cant shift Best off the payroll permanently in the same window, then he's failed in that aspect of his management responsibilities. It isn't Bowyer's fault that Best was bought for big money and big wages, but the better managers find a way of dealing with egos, mavericks and poor discipline.

Go on Gary, surprise me, staraight swap Varney for Best, no cash adjustment...........

You make it sound as if it's a sure thing? Signing any player has risks, players sign with good scoring records and can turn out to be awful. My personal opinion is that he's not of the standard of player we need to get out if this division.

Agreed. Every transfer is a risk. You just hope that the manager and recruiters at least do a bit of research/homework first-even a risk assessment. I think this has to relate to performance statistics,fitness issues and in particular... character. I do trust Bowyer and his people to do this within the confines of their budget.

You really do have to wonder what "research" Steve Kean and Shebby did before sending in the clowns. And to think this followed the disgraceful contract and transfer activity that got us relegated in the first place!

Interesting dilemma, on paper Leon Best looks a far better prospect, international and prem experience, recovered from injury and you'd have though motivated to get on with it. In reality, he's fallen out with the manager, cant cope with his ego and in the opinion of most is presently stealing his living and therefore presumably isnt a healthy presence around the squad.

We're proposing to replace him with a player who has limited prem experience, has fallen out with his manager, hasnt got close to the first team and has just refused to play. On paper at least he doesnt look as good, but we're assuming he'll be an improvement. hmmmmmmm...

All it seems he has in his favour is that the manager wants him, and he's cheaper (and maybe less challenging) to run. Its just my opinion, but if Bowyer brings in Varney, but cant shift Best off the payroll permanently in the same window, then he's failed in that aspect of his management responsibilities. It isn't Bowyer's fault that Best was bought for big money and big wages, but the better managers find a way of dealing with egos, mavericks and poor discipline.

Go on Gary, surprise me, staraight swap Varney for Best, no cash adjustment...........

Plenty people keep saying this, but he has had 9 clubs and god knows how many managers and hasnt really done it anywhere for any manager. He has 7 caps for ROI but was ousted by trapatoni who got fed up with him. He's just trouble and quite frankly not that good in my opinion. Shocking signing, shocking individual and bar 20mins here and there a shocking footballer

The way I see it is Varney is coming in to replace DJ Campbell and can probably help out covering for Ben Marshall, although it'd be good to get Craig Conway in as well for that.

If we can get rid of Best it would be fantastic for the atmosphere around the club. One of the few remaining bad apples.

Best quite clearly has no personal pride whatsoever. He seems content to sit on his fat contract and not play. He's, supposedly, in the prime of his career FFS - any footballer should be doing everything they can to play week in week out. We need to come to some sort of financial agreement ASAP - because he's quite clearly not going to apologise and get his head down.

Pound for pound our worst signing in memory IMO. Even against the likes of Grella, Grabbi, Davies etc.

Best quite clearly has no personal pride whatsoever. He seems content to sit on his fat contract and not play. He's, supposedly, in the prime of his career FFS - any footballer should be doing everything they can to play week in week out. We need to come to some sort of financial agreement ASAP - because he's quite clearly not going to apologise and get his head down.

Pound for pound our worst signing in memory IMO. Even against the likes of Grella, Grabbi, Davies etc.

Grella, Grabbi, Davies all eclipsed by Best and Etuhu in my eyes.

Perhaps what really makes them worse is the obvious corruption with the "contracts" for the boys mentality they had that summer. If you work it out - 30k+30k x 52 x 3 is 9 million pounds. Add the sign on fee's and the 2.5m for best and your talking the best part of 13m for two players who have provided absolutely nothing for the club. This nearly a quarter of all the parachute money also.

Not even taking murphys 35k a week 2 year deal (which half of it was paid off) into account

• Moderation Lead

Best is a mug. He just posts photos and videos of himself on Instagram all the time. He also posted a slow motion video of him 'welcoming' Dabo to Rovers in training.

The guy is shameless.

I think you might find Varney has played more games in the prem than best had a full season with Blackpool

Guest Norbert

I do hope Best goes. Anywhere. Like others have said, he is a lost cause as a player and seems more interested in bitching about being out of the team and posting selfies on the internet. He comes across as an over grown child that demands to be centre of attention, yet does not have the talent or application to be that on the pitch.

Wiki reveals that Gestede scored 7 goals in 55 for Cardiff. In Jan alone he's scored 4 in 5. Has he been a pants signing too?

How about Shearer? He only scored 1 goal in every 6 games for Soton before KMD broke the bank for him.

Gestede looks a very good signing if hes got the pace you claim he has to add to his aerial threat then fantastic for the team and fans.

Time now to improve that central midfield area hopefully Dabo is the man along with Corry Evans.

Most outgoings are loans with us picking up rhe lion share of the wage tab,and the majority will be back for next season. Masterplan? Hardly

how much will we be paying Best to leave?? A frightening amount for sure. Good to get rid but the financial legacy will live with us for a long time.Here comes another £25million loss for this year.

You must love this football lark , Venkys. get relegated, then paying out at every turn, and then a transfer embargo fixing you firmly in the wastelands of the Championship. Tremendously astute , i must say. Oh and under FFP you can't put any more in to sign players!! What a great investment for you all. The champagne corks must be popping in La La Land. Make sure Shebby has a glass.

Archived