BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] IT'S A BAD DAY!

It's all ifs, buts and maybes but matches are won or lost, in the main, with momentum. If you make a change which gives the other side the momentum then it is going to be noted if the results slips.

With Dunn on the pitch, we were good in the first half. We struggled as a team in the first part of the second half but at least the game was being played in the middle third and beyond. After he went off that changed and we were playing in our own half much more resulting in more pressure on our goalkeeper and defenders. It's not a massive leap.

What I wouldn't give to have Dunn 10 years younger. Heck, 3 would probably do in this division.

After he went off ? they scored 2 minutes after the substitution - amazing how much difference he would have made in two minutes !

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it was nothing to do with fitness and all to do with tactical suicide.

Feeney coming on for Dunn will always be a puzzler.

Isn't it a case of feeney coming on to replace varney who takes dunn's position? (genuine question - couldn't see the game)

Also how did Keane play?

• Backroom

I thought we did well in the first half. We dealt with Burnley's early pressure and asserted ourselves well after that. When we scored it really seemed to knock Burnley's confidence, they struggled for the remainder of the half and created nothing of note. The only time they threatened was when Conway nearly gifted them a goal with that suicidal backpass.

I get the feeling Dyche fired a proverbial rocket up the backsides of his team at half time, as they came out with far more conviction. We settled into our usual position of sitting back and letting them come at us, which was very disappointing. If Jordan had scored what was, in truth, a simple chance, I think the game would have been very different. Unfortunately he somehow contrived to miss a chance ten times easier than the one he put away in the first half, and it was then that we began to succumb. Burnley's equaliser and subsequent winner were inevitable. In the second half you could see the difference in quality between the teams - not necessarily individual quality, but more work ethic and intelligence. A lot of our players lack intelligence and that's what often hurts us. Burnley had some very intelligent play across the pitch and it made their performance look far more sophisticated than ours. What many of Burnley's players lack in technical quality they make up for in intelligent play. We similarly have a lot of workmanlike players but mentally it's clear they don't match many other teams in this division.

The atmosphere in the first half was really good, but declined sharply in the second half when people realised what was coming up. When Rhodes hit the post the tension really kicked in. When the equaliser came everybody knew what was going to happen.

In terms of our players, we have some real weak links in the team. Our defence is so young, and it showed often today. Henley really, really struggled. I worried every time an attack came down his flank or even just when he got on the ball. Hanley had a few "bull in a china shop" moments but was generally good enough, whilst Keane had a solid enough debut. Spurr was so-so, as with MGP I dislike the long throw approach and once again it brought us nothing today. I would have preferred some build up play on the floor as opposed to hurling balls into the box, especially when we are not set up to take advantage of the ball bouncing out of the box.

Conway and Varney were both workmanlike without producing anything special. Evans was a very welcome addition back and would have been my MOM (for Rovers anyway). His play was tenacious and intelligent. Lowe was Lowe. Dunny was a big influence on the game, but there were many times when his lack of pace let him down. Oh to roll back the clock. Rhodes did a good job in the first half but as the team retreated into their own half, he lost any impact on the game. He had one big moment in the second half and blew it. Such a shame as his goal in the first half was truly fantastic, but the miss in the second will haunt him for some time. A player of his quality should be able to bury a chance like that in his sleep, sadly I think it cost us the game and Rhodes probably knows that. Hopefully it doesn't affect him too much.

The subs didn't make enough of an impact for me to care a great deal, though it was concerning to witness Feeney's ridiculous stamp-tackle moments after he had come on. Another ref may have given a red for that.

Very very disappointing to lose to Burnley but I think we all knew it was coming. They are superior to us in many ways and their massive lead over us in terms of points shows that. They seemed to be overcome by the occasion in the first half, but had their tails up in the second and showed why they are second in the league. We had a good first half and a poor second, an inconsistent streak which has plagued us all season and is the reason we are where we are.Losing to Bolton in the manner we did last week and then getting beaten by Burnley at home in the next match is a really bitter pill to swallow. I've always had strong faith in Bowyer but I have to admit the last couple of games have simply not been good enough. Whether we get into the playoffs or not, a strong end to the season is a must. If we end this season fighting another relegation battle I will be disgusted, as there is no need for that.

Isn't it a case of feeney coming on to replace varney who takes dunn's position? (genuine question - couldn't see the game)

Also how did Keane play?

Feeney replaced Dunn - and Conway moved into Dunn's position. Gestede came on and replaced Varney - and Conway moved back to the wing.

Keane I thought looked excellent - there were times when the lack of understanding between Hanley and him showed (understandable) - but they have the makings of a good combination.

Also interesting to read the tactical breakdown - seems "they" are being praised for a direct style while some are criticising rovers for doing the same but this game was only ever about the result and Bowyer has just lost another chunk of the supporters...

We were going long ball....to Rhodes who has proven all season that he can't win headers or hold it up. They also had midfielders who were running on to knock downs/winning the second ball, whilst ours left Rhodes isolated. Bowyer is an awful tactician. As someone else said earlier - They are led by a manager, we are led by a coach.

Despite individual performances, there were 2 pivotal points within 2 mins of the second half that changed the game.

Who didn't think that when Rhodes hit the post, closely followed by the substitution of Dunne, I fear the worst?

Fair play to them when all said and done, I think they've now reset the bar.

Two hats the lot of em!

Also how did Keane play?

I thought Keane was alright all things considered.

The issue with bringing Dunn off for Feeney was that at the same time our gameplan also appeared to change and we seemed far too content to sit back and soak up pressure. Whenever we got the ball it was just lumped up to Rhodes and came back. Not Rhodes fault, that's not his game. If Bowyer thought we could get away with 45 minutes of that he's a problem.

If that was our plan b it was a crap one but even so, why not bring a target man on who would at least retain the ball a bit better?

In short, that 10 seconds of changing the team and personnel was shambolic. It wasn't just the sub it was the changes that went with it.

As much as I hate to admit it, I can only see this going one way and that is a Burnley win. It has to come eventually and I really can't see us even getting even a draw this time. The difference this time is they come to us on the crest of a wave and we don't have the team up for this.

If any fan wants to take the sting out of the disappointment a tad, get £50 on it as one of the exchanges at the minute returns £135 for this. Get out after the game and spend it on the ale and a big curry, take the following day off work and avoid and dingle friends like mad.

It won't help much, but that's all I can offer to help, as I really do fear the worst!

For anyone who took my advice, I hope the drink is blurring it a touch. I can only liken this to burning your finger and dipping it in cold water. It takes the pain away for a short time, but it keeps coming back. Only the curry to go now on the winnings, the beer is nearly done.

Just got back from the Wagon in Clitheroe, agreed to meet the next door Dingle, win, lose or draw.

Needed to take the pain, but the general consensus from the opposition was thanks for the sub of Dunny, the bringing on of Feeney, and the general sitting back of our team for the last 20 mins.......nuff said.

I work in Nelson.

My preferred tactic is all out insincere flattery (is that tautologous?). It disarms them. They can't work out whether your mocking them or not.Then just watch and laugh as they get thrashed week in week out next year and come straight down. And then the club disappears the money into its backers' failing businesses. Ha!

OK I'm being optimistic - it's a coping mechanism. Just humour me.

Good first half playing the game a high intensity and pressing them high up the pitch. Sadly second half Bowyer showed that he will never learn and from the very first minute of it we sat back and played direct up to Rhodes, which didn't created anything for us. The Sub of Dunn of Feeney on was baffling, I don't think the players knew who was meant to be playing where. Rudy should have been on at half time if we were going to play the way we did second half. As for bringing Chris Taylor on I think it was disgraceful that he didn't score or assist a goal, I mean how much time does he need.

I thought the behaviour of both sets of fans was very poor today most of the fans in the blocks nearest to the Darwen End were more interested in goading their fans than watching the game and vice versa. Then we had the chicken on the pitch, the stupid Pyrotechnic when we scored, the plane and plenty of unsavoury chants from both sets of fans. I don't mind banter between the fans but I thought that both sets over stepped the line today. At least Wednesday night all the want to be hooligans will have crawled back under their rocks, for the season. Just out of interest I didn't hear who got man of the match today, who did get it? .

I work in Nelson.

My preferred tactic is all out insincere flattery (is that tautologous?). It disarms them. They can't work out whether your mocking them or not.Then just watch and laugh as they get thrashed week in week out next year and come straight down. And then the club disappears the money into its backers' failing businesses. Ha!

OK I'm being optimistic - it's a coping mechanism. Just humour me.

65m for going up, 50m coming down, read and weep......Loons, they certainly are. That's what promotion gets you.

• Backroom

Why bring Taylor on and burn a minute or so of time .

That was just bizarre

We are 2-1 down in injury time about to take a corner and we make a sub which has roughly 1% of affecting the outcome

That was just bizarre

We are 2-1 down in injury time about to take a corner and we make a sub which has roughly 1% of affecting the outcome

Speechless at that one ...Also he had Williamson warming up earlier (could have been to stretch his legs ) then again ?

Just got back from the Wagon in Clitheroe, agreed to meet the next door Dingle, win, lose or draw.

Needed to take the pain, but the general consensus from the opposition was thanks for the sub of Dunny, the bringing on of Feeney, and the general sitting back of our team for the last 20 mins.......nuff said.

That bit of lunacy gave them belief in my view !

find it astouding some posters are blaming Bowyer for taking Dunn off ......... do you honestly think he wanted to take him off?? would he not want a David Dunn on the pitch for the full game we all know he cant last 90 minutes and in hindsight you could say he should have had him sub and bring him on to win the game but then the same folk slagging him off for subbing him would be the same folk moaning coz he didnt start

find it astouding some posters are blaming Bowyer for taking Dunn off ......... do you honestly think he wanted to take him off?? would he not want a David Dunn on the pitch for the full game we all know he cant last 90 minutes and in hindsight you could say he should have had him sub and bring him on to win the game but then the same folk slagging him off for subbing him would be the same folk moaning coz he didnt start

I can only speak for myself but you're missing the point. Bringing Dunn off wasn't the issue.

Correct, there are better points to blame Bowyer for

• Backroom

Stark contrast in attitudes as well today I saw Danny Ings chase Robbo down from near the half way line

Our players couldn't be bothered chasing down 10 feet at times

In summary:

We were 1-0 up at home, great atmosphere, half-time.

Who had the best HT team talk, as which team came out better?

A second would put us in the driving seat......JR didn't score when he (we) wanted, and hit the post.

Our talisman against them was knackered, but others were not passing to his feet.

He was going to be subbed, we were still one to the good.

Why, oh why, did he not bring on Rudy for him, continue to take the game to them?!

Played five in midfield which invited their attack.

When they scored, had no plan B, but more of the same.

Only when they went into the lead did he bring Rudy on.

Taylor, why?

GB, please answer this?

England thrashed Wales in the rugby so it's not all a bad day.

Rhodes's shot against the post was pivotal - if that had gone in we would have won comfortably.

Good luck to Burnley - they are showing that with good management on and of the field you do not need piles of cash to be successful.

I hope they stay up next season.

England thrashed Wales in the rugby so it's not all a bad day.

Rhodes's shot against the post was pivotal - if that had gone in we would have won comfortably.

Good luck to Burnley - they are showing that with good management on and of the field you do not need piles of cash to be successful.

I hope they stay up next season.

Shows up the Venkys for not taking the managers job ,seriously !

In summary:

We were 1-0 up at home, great atmosphere, half-time.

Who had the best HT team talk, as which team came out better?

A second would put us in the driving seat......JR didn't score when he (we) wanted, and hit the post.

Our talisman against them was knackered, but others were not passing to his feet.

He was going to be subbed, we were still one to the good.

Why, oh why, did he not bring on Rudy for him, continue to take the game to them?!

Played five in midfield which invited their attack.

When they scored, had no plan B, but more of the same.

Only when they went into the lead did he bring Rudy on.

Taylor, why?

GB, please answer this?

Agree with most of this

Dunny didn't look too knackered to me. Could have been kept on just to hang around in their half and use his craft and presence.

Wouldn't have done any worse than Feeny's contribution

Agree with most of this

Dunny didn't look too knackered to me. Could have been kept on just to hang around in their half and use his craft and presence.

Wouldn't have done any worse than Feeny's contribution

I could not have done any worse than Feeney !

Like ,I said earlier Dunns substuition gave Burnley belief and drained our fans of it !

Archived