BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield Wednesday v Rovers

Neal

your right nodrog, it is cause and effect, he caused loads of grief and people are starting to get effected by it

Well he doesn't bother me. Maybe it's because I don't take an awful lot of notice of at least 75% of the posts made on here. Most are done in anger, ignorance, optimism, pessimism or worse with either a hidden agenda or a vendetta.

btw it's 'affected' roverandout. :tu:

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes stats - but interesting how not so long ago people were saying what a good run we were on just to highlight the fact that Lowe hadn't been in the team :rock:

Good point. I'll dig out my laptop later and update it. I said I would after QPR and forgot.

Problem is who would you bring on and take off? Dunn would have been ideal for Rhodes but not available. A solid cm after 65 minutes but again nobody on bench. Take off conway, Rhodes or gestede for an inferior player? Think Bowyer got it right and the players have to take responsibility for this one.

I thought they had " a good chat with the players" this week to cut out the silly mistakes.

Anyway we still have a lot to learn, Much as the finances suggest we need to go up this season in reality neither the manager or team are ready for that yet.

• Backroom

Anyway Have we heard from anyone but JB and Chaddy who was at the game? We've had polar opinions of the game from those two.

Either way an ultimately frustrating day, a poor result snatched from the jaws of a great result as with Brighton recently :(

Problem is who would you bring on and take off? Dunn would have been ideal for Rhodes but not available. A solid cm after 65 minutes but again nobody on bench. Take off conway, Rhodes or gestede for an inferior player? Think Bowyer got it right and the players have to take responsibility for this one.

Not sure but King may have given them a few problems with his pace, maybe Rhodes off on 80 mins, or Cairney in middle and Lowe/Williamson off.

I'd have brought Williamson (yellow card) off for Varney with 20 minutes left, and played Varney wide left and Cairney central. Then with ten minutes or so left, brought Rhodes off for King and told him to run with the ball.

Fair enough - i disagree as i think cairney and lowe would have got murdered but respect your opinion

Something had to change, all their danger was coming from set pieces and the wings - I put that down to the wingers running out of steam. At least King would have pegged them back, and Varney has a good engine on him.

Two indifferent decisions by Rovers players were the key moments for me. If Rhodes had slipped the ball to Gestede, who had an empty net in front of him, instead of trying to beat Kirkland on the near post and only finding the side netting it would have been 4-2 and game over. Then, of course, young Keane made a huge mistake in the final moments trying to play a pass when a good old fashioned punt to the far corner flag would have seen out time.

A thoroughly entertaining game for me and another good performance from the Rovers. For me this is further evidence that we are on the right lines and that Bowyer is evolving a team that will be challenging next season.

Substitutions are a key part of the modern game and clearly Gary just doesn't know what he's doing in this area.

Will he learn? Well he certainly hasn't up to now.

Personally, I thought it was difficult to see what substitution would have improved us. Wednesday started to get a little more joy down the flanks but apart from possibly putting Kane on for Cairney to help Keane, I'm not sure what else he could have done. King would have given Keane no protection as he doesn't track back. Of course if he had replaced Cairney with Kane he would have been attacked for going defensive. Sadly, Bowyer, rather like Lowe and Williamson, is always going to be the convenient whipping boy for some on here.

Two indifferent decisions by Rovers players were the key moments for me. If Rhodes had slipped the ball to Gestede, who had an empty net in front of him, instead of trying to beat Kirkland on the near post and only finding the side netting it would have been 4-2 and game over. Then, of course, young Keane made a huge mistake in the final moments trying to play a pass when a good old fashioned punt to the far corner flag would have seen out time.

A thoroughly entertaining game for me and another good performance from the Rovers. For me this is further evidence that we are on the right lines and that Bowyer is evolving a team that will be challenging next season.

Well said sir

As for the rest, Chaddy said much the same. Watch out for the angry mob.

Gutting really to lose such a late goal. When you're 3-1 you should go onto win the game so very disappointing to end up drawing. They are a decent team tho so a draw against them at their place is no disgrace but with being 3-1 up and needing a to win to keep our play offs hopes alive, it is ultimately a bad result.

Still, we are looking a very potent attacking force (and are not just relying on Rhodes` goals), are incredibly difficult to beat, and are starting to gel well as a team. Let's not forget this time last year we were 22nd and on the brink of relegation. A year later, we are 10th, have completely rebuilt the squad, 4 points of the play offs, 8 unbeaten, and scoring goals for fun. Not perfect yet but we have made HUGE strides in 12 months. I know a lot of wind up merchants on here will argue otherwise but the evidence is there for all to see.

• Moderation Lead

Time will tell about next season, I hope those that think we'll do much better then are right....

I wouldn't call it an over-reaction, more of pent-up frustration at yet more dropped points from winning positions. Recent examples include: Watford, Brighton, Burnley as well as today.

is that the number to ring when you can't get a job at Rovers?

Ouch!!!!

I am frustrated with bowyer this season. He has been very good in the market and has bought players that should be challenging for at least the playoffs. Credit were credit is due. We've gone from what looked to be certain league 1 fodder to just missing out on the playoffs.

Anyone who doesn't give him credit for that is clueless in my eyes. People moan about some saying stability but he has done that with little experience. After the last few years a bit of on the field stability is a godsend.

My problem with bowyer though is he isn't learning from his mistakes. He sets his teams out ok but not great and then struggles to cope with a plan b. I'm presuming he gets far too nervous as well and this transmits to the players and tactics hence why we drop so deep as the game goes on

He seemed a lot more adventurous at the start of the swain and Evans and cairney dominated games in the centre. We played some bloody good football and pinned teams back. Then Evans got injured and for some unknown reason he decided that cairney wouldn't play central anymore.

I appreciate what bowyer has done and don't understand why there is so much hatred towards him on this mb. I personally would like a proper manager in place and I think we have a very good 11 that could challenge for promotion with someone else in charge but I wouldn't for one minute slate gb like some on here

He makes lots of mistakes tactically and is probably in a little over his head but he hasn't done a terrible job that some imply

There is no hatred of Bowyer. There is an acceptance by some that he is a better scout than a manager, and a blind faith from others that he will become a good manager by the start of next season. Maybe this season was just a practise.

If we aren't going to get a new man in then we had better hope that Bowyer does become a good manager, as judged by the majority of fans, not just by his mates - and by some better yardstick than 'we can't do any better'.

There is no hatred of Bowyer. There is an acceptance by some that he is a better scout than a manager, and a blind faith from others that he will become a good manager by the start of next season. Maybe this season was just a practise.

If we aren't going to get a new man in then we had better hope that Bowyer does become a good manager, as judged by the majority of fans, not just by his mates - and by some better yardstick than 'we can't do any better'.

I think people such as yourself misjudge how much of an impact Bowyer has on the happenings on the pitch, he didn't miss the Rhodes sitter, he didn't try and pass the ball out for the last goal instead of smashing it up the line. Maybe there isn't a hatred of Bowyer but there is certainly a toys out of the pram mentality because people think we should have a bigger name or more proven manager. We have Bowyer and barring a poor start to the next campaign we will still have him come xmas time, if he bothers you that much - don't go?

EDIT - When we win its the players have done well, when we lose its Bowyers fault.

• Backroom

EDIT - When we win its the players have done well, when we lose its Bowyers fault.

And from other people when we win Bowyers has done great and when we lose its the players fault

The truth as always is somewhere in the middle but now to prove a point we have hyper criticalness of the manager and OTT praise side by side!

And from other people when we win Bowyers has done great and when we lose its the players fault

The truth as always is somewhere in the middle but now to prove a point we have hyper criticalness of the manager and OTT praise side by side!

Wouldn't argue with that Tom, I just can't think of a set of fans anywhere who appear to want a manager to fail so much so they can get a 'big name' in. I don't expect anyone to own up to being one of these people and certainly not aiming it at you Tom, but there are a few about without a doubt.

No-one wants Bowyer to fail.

It's just that his talents are in scouting, not as a manager.

I've still not had anyone give me a clue as to how much longer he should get. Do we wait until we have a 10 game freefall next season? Or does he have an unlimited free pass? Because most of the arguments at the moment [for keeping him] will still apply by Christmas.

Some shocking defending by both teams in a game that could have ended 6-6. Grant Hanley was the poorest of our defenders as he reminded me of the old Hanley who clearly thinks he is a better player than he actually is. Lowe was our best player I thought and on another day Gestede would have been sent off for two embarrassing dives. My only criticism of Bowyer was bringing Varney on to play a five across the middle. Has we continued with the same shape and like for like substitution I thought we could have really pushed for a fourth goal. As it was we sat deeper and invited pressure.

Archived