BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

On 30/10/2021 at 18:54, RoverCanada said:

Side note: no idea how he's actually playing but Chapman was left on the bench in Burton's 2-0 loss today. 0 goals and 0 assists in 9 games so far and apparently not an automatic starter...

Tbh I'm not surprised, I imagine his confidence is in the toilet. He was flying on his loan last season, got signed on again for just a year...then palmed off on loan again. Think he is one of those players where most of the battle is in their head.

Mowbray's treatment of him has always been bizarre. He seems to simultaneously rate him and not rate him, having loaned him, signed him permanently, extended his deal...but never really given him a proper shake of the stick despite showing talent on numerous occasions. Some of the harsher posters on here who don't seem to deal with potential, and don't rate a player unless they force their way into our idiot manager's plans, will likely tell me he just isn't good enough. But I simply don't buy that. There have been times he absolutely should have had a run in the team and no such thing happened.

It's incredibly difficult to be undervalued, it makes you question if you're as good as you think, which makes you perform worse and question yourself more. People can say the strongest characters overcome that, and they often do, but there are still people who can play at the top that don't fit that bill of extreme mental strength. They just need things to land for them at the right time and a manager who demonstrates belief in them.

Chapman's career with us is clearly over, which just makes it all the more mystifying we signed him on again, just to sign two similar level players in his position on loan and send him off again. For his sake (and the tiny amount of money we might get from future sales if he is a success) I hope he gets it together this season to earn a proper move and get his career back on track. Otherwise I can see him retiring in the next few years. Has plenty of talent.

• Like 5

Sam Burns scored again. I think that's 2 goals in 4 games? It's production at quite a low level, but he is now doing it against 'men'. I wonder if he can secure a higher loan in January...

Jack Vale with an assist in this ridiculous 7-4 game: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59083037 Solid cross for his one assist.

Hilton started again for Hamilton in a 1-1 draw. 3 starts in a row now... but their 1st choice keepr is still out, so we'll see.

No game for Annesley with Woking yesterday, although he did start again earlier this week.

Chapman again left on the bench for Burton.

I'll draw the line at chasing down non-league loans haha (outside of Burns!), but Dowling and G. Pratt do appear to be getting starts with their NPL loans; Lonsdale apparently not.

(tempted to start a separate 'Loan report' thread!)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, RoverCanada said:

Sam Burns scored again. I think that's 2 goals in 4 games? It's production at quite a low level, but he is now doing it against 'men'. I wonder if he can secure a higher loan in January...

Jack Vale with an assist in this ridiculous 7-4 game: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/59083037 Solid cross for his one assist.

Hilton started again for Hamilton in a 1-1 draw. 3 starts in a row now... but their 1st choice keepr is still out, so we'll see.

No game for Annesley with Woking yesterday, although he did start again earlier this week.

I'll draw the line at chasing down non-league loans haha (outside of Burns!), but Dowling and G. Pratt do appear to be getting starts with their NPL loans; Lonsdale apparently not.

I still think Burns can push for our first team.

On 07/11/2021 at 11:15, RoverCanada said:

Annesley did play in a 2-0 friendly win for Woking against Brentford. He's gonna be off on international duty this week though.

5 hours ago, inflikted said:

Annesley did play in a 2-0 friendly win for Woking against Brentford. He's gonna be off on international duty this week though.

Annesley got to meet Paul Weller and his band at the club yesterday but he probably doesn’t realise how lucky he was to be in the right place at the right time 😉

41 minutes ago, rigger said:

In my opinion Annesley is non-league level at best.

Agree that it's hard to see him make it at this level. He looks at times like a midfielder being forced to play as a centre-back. His passing is better than his defensive qualities. Think he plays as a defensive midfielder for Gibraltar as well. Given his age and younger prospects on their way, he's probably on his way in the summer. 

• Like 1

I didn't know where to put this but as it's related to academies I'll stick it here.

There was an inquest into the suicide of a young lad released from Man City; https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-59214647

The lad's dad said that City should have done more. Jason Wilcox, City's academy manager, said that they did what they could. 

I know countless lads who thought that they were going to be professional footballers only to fall by the wayside. They do need help and support. I also think that clubs need to do more especially around explaining the odds of lads actually making it at a Premier League club. If an academy can graduate 1 player per year that is a success, which means that 10-12-14 others don't.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I didn't know where to put this but as it's related to academies I'll stick it here.

There was an inquest into the suicide of a young lad released from Man City; https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-59214647

The lad's dad said that City should have done more. Jason Wilcox, City's academy manager, said that they did what they could. 

I know countless lads who thought that they were going to be professional footballers only to fall by the wayside. They do need help and support. I also think that clubs need to do more especially around explaining the odds of lads actually making it at a Premier League club. If an academy can graduate 1 player per year that is a success, which means that 10-12-14 others don't.

This was Tyrhys Dolan's best mate btw