BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

23 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah. Real gem of a lad is Dolan, has started working with charities to help released players / raise awareness etc. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10050409/Tyrhys-Dolan-dedicates-success-lost-pal-Jeremy-Wisten-took-life.html

Thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Yeah. Real gem of a lad is Dolan, has started working with charities to help released players / raise awareness etc. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10050409/Tyrhys-Dolan-dedicates-success-lost-pal-Jeremy-Wisten-took-life.html

That’s class. The kind of lad you want on your side and at your club. Hat’s off to the young man. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, arbitro said:

That is embarrassing. It's barely a foul I honestly don't know what the referee and VAR could have seen to warrant a red card.

Probably a brown paper bag. Turkey need to win big to overtake Norway for a playoff spot. They could only win 3-0 last time out against 11 Gibraltar players so have a better chance of a big win if there's less players on the field.

23 minutes ago, inflikted said:

Probably a brown paper bag. Turkey need to win big to overtake Norway for a playoff spot. They could only win 3-0 last time out against 11 Gibraltar players so have a better chance of a big win if there's less players on the field.

Definitely is a more ' appropriate' word.

It's as bent a decision as I've ever seen.

It's a balancing act for the U23s. Field too many young players, or make too many changes on a regular basis, you weaken the team and consistently losing or being outplayed is not necessary good for player development. I believe that this is the reason that players like Sam Durrant and Joe Nolan have been kept on at the club even though there is very little indication that they are seen as having a future in the seniors.

Winning isn't necessarily the priority for the U23s, but I believe it should be priority, amongst others, as it breeds confidence which is good for development and, if you're winning against the top teams (albeit, shorn of star players who are out on loan), it suggests players are performing at a high level.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

It's a balancing act for the U23s. Field too many young players, or make too many changes on a regular basis, you weaken the team and consistently losing or being outplayed is not necessary good for player development. I believe that this is the reason that players like Sam Durrant and Joe Nolan have been kept on at the club even though there is very little indication that they are seen as having a future in the seniors.

Winning isn't necessarily the priority for the U23s, but I believe it should be priority, amongst others, as it breeds confidence which is good for development and, if you're winning against the top teams (albeit, shorn of star players who are out on loan), it suggests players are performing at a high level.

It does seem unethical if we are holding on to young players just to pad out the under 23s, but it is perhaps the symptom of modern day reserve football which in general doesn't perhaps prepare young players for senior football.

I'm not sure it's unethical, unless you're holding on to them well into their 20s, as Chelsea have done and, perhaps, sending them around on desultory loan deals, slowly, contributing to the sapping of their desire for the game, as they exist in career limbo. I think Durrant and Nolan will have aspirations to maybe get a chance at Rovers (Nolan did feature in pre-season) and, if not, I'm sure their Rovers experience will be good for their CV when they're moving on.

I have seen Durrant play a few times on streams, last season, and, based on that very limited viewing, he seemed a technically good winger and was a regular in the great league run by the U23s. He looked very disciplined at defending as well as getting forward. I think it would be in his interests to look to move on, perhaps, next season, if he's not going anywhere (same for others). Even this campaign, he's been in and out from what I can tell.

I think more unethical is the failure to encourage players when they are doing well, as was the case last season. When the U23s were performing well as a unit with some individual solid performances, it was an opportunity to have a look at a few. We needn't have had the outgoing aged quartet on the bench, for example, last year, and blooded a Garrett, Whitehall or McBride. This year, Clarkson is not going to contribute much, it seems, so Garrett, after his solid pre-season games, or Burns, before he went off to non-league, would've been an option, if not Butterworth.

It does make me wonder if the Clarkson deal, and, perhaps, others, have clauses with appearance or squad requirements, though, I have no idea how commonplace this in the industry. All that said, like Khadra and Poveda, I have no doubt that Clarkson is talented and may do a job, but in our disjointed and unstructured team, he's found it hard and seems to have fallen down the pecking order - though, given how Davenport and Butterworth come and go in the squad, I'm not sure there is a clear pecking order.

Edit: In terms of unethical and counter-productive, I think the treatment of Magloire falls into that category. He struggled badly at Motherwell on loan and I think it's quite clear that he's not ready to be thrown in, especially, at right back, as he was. Now, he's somewhere in twilight zone of the first team. To my mind, given that he's behind Buckley as a right back and last choice at CB, he should be in the U23s regularly and have a chance to stay fit, grow some confidence and showcase himself for his next and inevitable move.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I'm not sure it's unethical, unless you're holding on to them well into their 20s, as Chelsea have done and, perhaps, sending them around on desultory loan deals, slowly, contributing to the sapping of their desire for the game, as they exist in career limbo. I think Durrant and Nolan will have aspirations to maybe get a chance at Rovers (Nolan did feature in pre-season) and, if not, I'm sure their Rovers experience will be good for their CV when they're moving on.

I have seen Durrant play a few times on streams, last season, and, based on that very limited viewing, he seemed a technically good winger and was a regular in the great league run by the U23s. He looked very disciplined at defending as well as getting forward. I think it would be in his interests to look to move on, perhaps, next season, if he's not going anywhere (same for others). Even this campaign, he's been in and out from what I can tell.

I think more unethical is the failure to encourage players when they are doing well, as was the case last season. When the U23s were performing well as a unit with some individual solid performances, it was an opportunity to have a look at a few. We needn't have had the outgoing aged quartet on the bench, for example, last year, and blooded a Garrett, Whitehall or McBride. This year, Clarkson is not going to contribute much, it seems, so Garrett, after his solid pre-season games, or Burns, before he went off to non-league, would've been an option, if not Butterworth.

It does make me wonder if the Clarkson deal, and, perhaps, others, have clauses with appearance or squad requirements, though, I have no idea how commonplace this in the industry. All that said, like Khadra and Poveda, I have no doubt that Clarkson is talented and may do a job, but in our disjointed and unstructured team, he's found it hard and seems to have fallen down the pecking order - though, given how Davenport and Butterworth come and go in the squad, I'm not sure there is a clear pecking order.

Edit: In terms of unethical and counter-productive, I think the treatment of Magloire falls into that category. He struggled badly at Motherwell on loan and I think it's quite clear that he's not ready to be thrown in, especially, at right back, as he was. Now, he's somewhere in twilight zone of the first team. To my mind, given that he's behind Buckley as a right back and last choice at CB, he should be in the U23s regularly and have a chance to stay fit, grow some confidence and showcase himself for his next and inevitable move.

What makes you think Magloire “ struggled badly “ at Motherwell ?

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I think those who have been given loan spells both in the case of the Chelsea players and Magloire are at an advantage, playing mens football in games that matter rather than sanitised kids football.

Magloire apparently has been dealing with a personal issue lately according to Mowbray. Maybe that is why he has not featured for the under 23s although again it is blatantly obvious that he will never make it here, he should have been let go in the summer if he would have agreed.

I dont really think that the thing that our first team is calling out for is more academy graduates to be rushed through. Our team is already very young and Mowbray has made a fair few academy graduates into key members of the squad.

Louie and Gibraltar are 1-0 up against Latvia inside 10 minutes. Great counter attack, Tjay de Barr the architect and Liam Walker the finisher. De Barr is currently at Wycombe and one to keep an eye on.

Louie played his part in the goal, breaking up the initial move from Latvia.

Edited by inflikted
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, inflikted said:

Louie and Gibraltar are 1-0 up against Latvia inside 10 minutes. Great counter attack, Tjay de Barr the architect and Liam Walker the finisher. De Barr is currently at Wycombe and one to keep an eye on.

Louie played his part in the goal, breaking up the initial move from Latvia.

Whats his level do you think? 

On 15/11/2021 at 20:21, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What makes you think Magloire “ struggled badly “ at Motherwell ?

I tried to follow Magloire at Motherwell through highlights and their online fan forums and he was picked regularly by their manager in a three man defence. He did ok at first but some notable errors and, perhaps, bad luck, in the form of slip-ups, resulted in fans, apparently, wishing for him to be dropped. A notable error was in the Scottish cup, against Hibs, when he allowed an attacker a virtually unchallenged header. It's 1 min 20 seconds in, if you want to watch it on Youtube here. Of course, the goal can't completely be attributed to him,

I was hoping that he'd do well because he was captain of the Rovers U23s/reserves in the past and seemed to be a bright prospect. Moreover, we seriously lack pacy defenders in the first team.

I'm sorry to hear that he has personal difficulties, if that is the case. To my outsider perspective, which is based on very limited evidence, he seems to be lacking confidence and U23 football seems ideal for him to refind form - or, a loan spell in January.

In terms of counter-productive loan spells, I think Harry Chapman is an example. Getting first team experience is good for players but it needs to be at the right level and right time. If a player is repeatedly sent on loan, there is a chance of demoralisation from the sense of stagnation and rejection. Mowbray, of course, repeatedly alluded that Chapman's commitment was lacking and suggested that was why he wasn't selected more often. On the other hand, Scott Wharton is an example who kept performing during numerous EFL loan spells and finally, thanks to, I believe, an injury crisis, got his chance at Rovers.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I think he may make it at Non-league level. To me he is an average defensive midfielder, trying to play center-half. 

You’re being harsh on the lad. I go regularly to to u23s and he’s better than Saadi and the others who’ve played at centre half excluding Phillips. Granted he’s behind Carter, but he better than the Brighton lump who Mowbray has taken. He has time to fill out the same as Wharton. A full season on loan at a league 1 team will make or brake him. I’m betting on the former. Plus he’s holding his own for the Gib when they play the lower National teams.