BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

From the line-up, it looked as if we started with 3-5-2 and then switched to four at the back when Brennan came on. Anyone know if this was the case? 

It looked like 4 at the back from the start. JRC, Wharton, Saadi, Cirino. 

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

No, 3 at the back to start. Carter Wharton and Saadi in a 3, 2 wing backs and we reverted to a 442 in the second half when Saadi went off.

JRC and Cirino, seemed to be in full-back positions, with Carter playing as defensive midfield. Perhaps the first teamers were introducing the Mowbray defensive system.

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

JRC and Cirino, seemed to be in full-back positions, with Carter playing as defensive midfield. Perhaps the first teamers were introducing the Mowbray defensive system.

Wing backs jrc and LC in the first half. They were in full back positions because Liverpool pushed them back into a 5

Edited by Sparks Rover

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Wing backs jrc and LC in the first half. They were in full back positions because Liverpool pushed them back into a 5

I think that the reason JRC and Cirino seemed to be wing-backs, is because neither are very good full-backs, and keep getting caught out of position .

41 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think that the reason JRC and Cirino seemed to be wing-backs, is because neither are very good full-backs, and keep getting caught out of position .

Carter Wharton and Saadi were in a line as a 3 at the beginning with Harlock, Garret and Davenport in the middle.

Not sure what you were watching.

I've only seen JRC twice in the under 23s before he broke into the first team and he didn't impress me. Later when he became a first team regular he looked great and now I always look for him in the starting line up.

My point is that you cannot judge players playing for the "reserves". It was always like this watching Central League back in the 60s. A great first teamer was often rubbish in the reserves whereas a good reserve player was often found out when called into the first team.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Carter Wharton and Saadi were in a line as a 3 at the beginning with Harlock, Garret and Davenport in the middle.

Not sure what you were watching.

The same game as you. You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. Whatever system was being played, it didn't work. 

13 hours ago, rigger said:

The same game as you. You have your opinion, I have mine. Let's leave it at that. Whatever system was being played, it didn't work. 

It was definitely 5. Terrible system I agree. Didn't work at all. Against a weak Liverpool side ahead of their PNE cup visit.

JRC Carter Saadi Wharton Cirino

Harlock Davenport Garrett

Butterworth McBride

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It was definitely 5. Terrible system I agree. Didn't work at all. Against a weak Liverpool side ahead of their PNE cup visit.

JRC Carter Saadi Wharton Cirino

Harlock Davenport Garrett

Butterworth McBride

My take on the game. First half, play a wierd system, go two nil down. Second half, revert to a back four, game ends two each. There's a moral to that story. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, rigger said:

My take on the game. First half, play a wierd system, go two nil down. Second half, revert to a back four, game ends two each. There's a moral to that story. 

My take, we got battered.

Second half they got tired and let 2 late goals...youth football....

They were miles ahead of us and their best 18 year olds weren't even playing....couple of them lads are on the bench tonight for the first team....that Dixon Bonner is a quality player.

A goal for Burns in the FA Trophy for FC United (albeit against the venerable Runcorn Linnets in the FA Trophy). Apparently deserved a pen too.

BBC report seems to suggest Annesley started at LM for Woking to start his loan there.

Vale started again for Halifax. Seems to be getting a run of starts after scoring in the FA Cup, but seems to get pulled off after 60-70min.

Hilton has finally started a couple league matches in a row for Hamilton after sitting on the bench for a while (otherwise, he started in their Scottish Cup games at least). Seems their usual starter is injured, but they had a pretty poor GA record up to this point, so could be a chance for him. 1 goal against today after a clean sheet on Tuesday.

Side note: no idea how he's actually playing but Chapman was left on the bench in Burton's 2-0 loss today. 0 goals and 0 assists in 9 games so far and apparently not an automatic starter...

• Like 5

11 hours ago, inflikted said:

Woking fans seem very impressed with Louie in his Woking debut on Saturday. They won 3-2 in the end but they liked his movement and distribution. Hopefully this loan will really help him kick on.

He has reached his level.

On 30/10/2021 at 18:54, RoverCanada said:

A goal for Burns in the FA Trophy for FC United (albeit against the venerable Runcorn Linnets in the FA Trophy). Apparently deserved a pen too.

BBC report seems to suggest Annesley started at LM for Woking to start his loan there.

Vale started again for Halifax. Seems to be getting a run of starts after scoring in the FA Cup, but seems to get pulled off after 60-70min.

Hilton has finally started a couple league matches in a row for Hamilton after sitting on the bench for a while (otherwise, he started in their Scottish Cup games at least). Seems their usual starter is injured, but they had a pretty poor GA record up to this point, so could be a chance for him. 1 goal against today after a clean sheet on Tuesday.

Side note: no idea how he's actually playing but Chapman was left on the bench in Burton's 2-0 loss today. 0 goals and 0 assists in 9 games so far and apparently not an automatic starter...

Thanks for the round-up. Chapman's loan move to Burton hasn't worked out so far, as far as I can tell. I've read a few comments from their fans admiring his workrate and skill but that he's not always been a team player. It's a shame after how well he did at Shrewsbury and then his positive contribution early in the season for Rovers when it seemed that he might stay at the club. Let's not forget, in these times of financial constraint, Rovers paid Boro an undisclosed fee to sign Chapman.

I see some of these, initially, short-term non-league loan moves as flawed choices by Rovers, though, I admire Burns and Vale's eagerness to go and play football. Unless they do outstandingly well over a long period, it's hard to see it advancing their development or potential transfer value. And, there is a real risk of returning injured, as Pike has done or with diminished confidence, if they struggle to immediately adapt to the new style of football. Nonetheless, it's good to hear that they're making an impact.

Hilton is a very strange one - as with the general 'keeper situation at Rovers. He was given a longer-term deal and has spent his time out on loan mostly but there is no sign he has a Rovers future. Eastham looks to be leaving on a free soon and Stergiakis and Pears, goalies 3 and 2 at the club, have, generally, been unconvincing - though, in their defence, they have not had a run of games to gain form. There doesn't seem to be a clear succession plan for Kaminski, as yet. Moreover, as good as Kaminski is doing, there is no one competing and keeping him on his toes.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Butterworth got the winner. 

JRC and Scott Wharton both played 90 minutes

Good win with Palace featuring some experienced players. The Wharton brothers played together, according the line-up. No Stergiakis or McBride.

Edit: A couple of Palace fans' views posted on their online forum to praise the Rovers team for, what sounds like a counter-attacking game - and, also Eastham, who made a number of saves. 

Edited by riverholmes

Apropos of noting,  but speaking of Stergiakis, at least he actually stands between the sticks from time to time.

With no pure reserve team football anymore and the plethora of young keepers on the books, plus our tendency to exit cup competitions as rapidly as possible, Pears pretty much never plays a game… great work if you can get it, but a bloody odd career all the same.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Apropos of noting,  but speaking of Stergiakis, at least he actually stands between the sticks from time to time.

With no pure reserve team football anymore and the plethora of young keepers on the books, plus our tendency to exit cup competitions as rapidly as possible, Pears pretty much never plays a game… great work if you can get it, but a bloody odd career all the same.

Our problem will come if Kaminski gets injured. Stergiakis, Eastham and Pears are not good enough.

• Like 2