BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

6 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

whats the greek lad like??,needless to say the pears signing was a disgusting piece of nepotism, the old fox warnock would never let a player leave for nothing if he was any good

Lol I wish it was for nothing. Was reported as something like 300k. To think we could have probably used his contract's wages to add another year to Kaminski's deal instead, and still had 300k left over.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

Lol I wish it was for nothing. Was reported as something like 300k. To think we could have probably used his contract's wages to add another year to Kaminski's deal instead, and still had 300k left over.

Another good performance tonight, Burns was again, a class above. Eastham distribution is superb, but his lack of height will restrict his career 

7 hours ago, rigger said:

I disagree with your statement, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

If you believe he is or could be as good as garner then we have a seriously talented striker on our books and a long term solution as long as we tie him down ( I won’t hold my breath) . How far away would you estimate he is away from regular first team football as it sounds like a matter of when not if. I’ve never seen him play 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

If you believe he is or could be as good as garner then we have a seriously talented striker on our books and a long term solution as long as we tie him down ( I won’t hold my breath) . How far away would you estimate he is away from regular first team football as it sounds like a matter of when not if. I’ve never seen him play 

I would say he is already, as good as any of our forward options. I would expect him to be on the bench against Coventry. Personally I would start him, as his main asset is his non stop hard work. I don't think he will make such an impression as an impact sub. 

Edited by rigger

3 hours ago, rigger said:

I would say he is already, as good as any of our forward options. I would expect him to be on the bench against Coventry. Personally I would start him, as his main asset is his non stop hard work. I don't think he will make such an impression as an impact sub. 

I disagree rigger, I think Burns would do the business whether he started or came on as a super sub. The lad never stops, and at last nights game he showed he has a nasty streak when after their goalkeeper took him down at the next chance he took the lad out ala Speedie. Plus he gave as good as he got from their two centrehalfs.

13 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I disagree rigger, I think Burns would do the business whether he started or came on as a super sub. The lad never stops, and at last nights game he showed he has a nasty streak when after their goalkeeper took him down at the next chance he took the lad out ala Speedie. Plus he gave as good as he got from their two centrehalfs.

I tend to agree with you. What I was trying to say, was that I think  his intensity should be utilised from the beginning of a game, as he can last at least 70 mins, rather than just 10-20 mins as a sub. On his aggresive side, at a  game earlier in the season, two center-halfs got so wound up with Burns that they reverted to trying to physically intimidate him. He had none of it, neither of them could handle him. Another bonus is that for a player who puts himself about, he doesn't get booked that often. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Speedie couldn't lace Garners boots.

As much as I love Garner I’m not sure about this. Speedie played and scored in the top division, not something Super Simon can claim. I don’t think there was too much to choose between them either way to be honest. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

As much as I love Garner I’m not sure about this. Speedie played and scored in the top division, not something Super Simon can claim. I don’t think there was too much to choose between them either way to be honest. 

Garner had offers....different era, he was loyal...speedie was the opposite. 

I am right with oldjamfan1. Garner is easily my favourite ever player. He made his debut in my 1st season watching. Speedie played at a higher level and as an International.  I have no doubt that Simon could have been a decent 1st division striker and in these modern times we wouldn't be able to keep hold of him. 

Regarding Sam Burns; he is good to watch and has a petulant streak and is a tough little striker. I went last night and enjoyed his performance.  I can see why people might make the Garner comparison . If he provides even a fraction of the joy and sheer pleasure that watching Garner brought then I will have no complaints 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Garner had offers....different era, he was loyal...speedie was the opposite. 

I assumed you were talking about their footballing talent. Let’s be honest they were different times but even taking that into account Garner was hardly a model professional. Speedie wasn’t a particularly nice bloke. Talent-wise not much to choose between them I would say. Although Kenny did and he chose Speedie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I assumed you were talking about their footballing talent. Let’s be honest they were different times but even taking that into account Garner was hardly a model professional. Speedie wasn’t a particularly nice bloke. Talent-wise not much to choose between them I would say. Although Kenny did and he chose Speedie. 

I suppose slightly different players, soeedie was more.your nippy winger/attacker at Chelsea and he was good to be fair....although as a poacher, Garner found the  net with ease.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Of the all that's taken place in the TM era this stink angers me the most. Considering we are basically skint and constantly up against ffp, so waste several 100 k on this non league standard keeper is criminal. Imagine if we used that fee and his wages to up the renewal terms offered to Rothwell et al?

Annesley played 90 mins in the 6-0 defeat to the Netherlands. Had some good moments but it's hard to have a good game when you're under constant attack from players like Depay and Klaasen. Special praise for debut goalkeeper Bradley Banda, the national team's 3rd choice goalkeeper who got called in due to injury to Coleing and Goldwin's suspension and ended up saving a Depay penalty in one of his first pieces of action. Dutch fans full of praise for the 23 year old, still working part time as a teaching assistant for disabled children at a special needs school in Gibraltar. Kind of shows that the goalkeeping department is thriving over there and maybe pro teams should start taking note.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 16:35, chaddyrovers said:

Sam Burns is bang in form and for me should be on the bench for the Coventry game if Gallagher isn't available and Brereton isn't back in time and cant be on the bench. 

Always like the look of him from the first game I've watched him played for under 16's

Tony will rather put a loanee on the bench than our own in-form youth players. Happy to be proven wrong!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Tony will rather put a loanee on the bench than our own in-form youth players. Happy to be proven wrong!

Contractual situations should be a total irrelevance 11 games into a season, I don't understand the obsession about loanees. Whether they are on a long term deal like Dolan, a contract with an option for next season like Brereton and Burns, are into their final year like Butterworth or are on loan like Khadra and Poveda, the decision should purely be made on ability and performance levels. Permanent, loan, long term, short term, old, young, just pick the best to win the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Contractual situations should be a total irrelevance 11 games into a season, I don't understand the obsession about loanees. Whether they are on a long term deal like Dolan, a contract with an option for next season like Brereton and Burns, are into their final year like Butterworth or are on loan like Khadra and Poveda, the decision should purely be made on ability and performance levels. Permanent, loan, long term, short term, old, young, just pick the best to win the game.

Downing said that decisions on selection aren't made based on performance.

34 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Downing said that decisions on selection aren't made based on performance.

Thats not the point I was making, I was talking about the common recurrence of people demanding that academy graduates/permanent players are picked over loanees, it should be solely based on getting a result hence why Nyambe, Lenihan and Rothwell should play too.

Downing actually said that the subs bench was regularly rotated, not the starting 11. He sometimes missed out on the bench because Mowbray used to rotate the subs bench to keep the whole squad happy, which I agree was counterproductive. 

On 10/10/2021 at 09:35, chaddyrovers said:

Sam Burns is bang in form and for me should be on the bench for the Coventry game if Gallagher isn't available and Brereton isn't back in time and cant be on the bench. 

Always like the look of him from the first game I've watched him played for under 16's

is`nt he an out and out centre forward??not a good position to be in if you are in mowbrays squad,i agree  with you,he should be given a chance as he`s banging the goals in