BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

Watched and enjoyed that video clip. Nice brand of football from our boys.

Its also worth watching for the miss of the millennium from a Chelsa lad. He actually gets a sliding foot on the ball when it appears to be on the line but he unaccountably screws it wide!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnGo said:

I think I may stop going to Ewood and just watch the u23s. Highlights from Chelsea FC was great and unbiased.

The only thing that gets on my nerves about the U23s, is that the refs are as bad as the championship ones.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

The only thing that gets on my nerves about the U23s, is that the refs are as bad as the championship ones.

You’re wrong rigger the refs are fucking WORSE.  I can’t believe how incompetent they are. Some of the bookings against Leicester where unbelievable. The future is bright the future is blue and white. 

7 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

You’re wrong rigger the refs are fucking WORSE.  I can’t believe how incompetent they are. Some of the bookings against Leicester where unbelievable. The future is bright the future is blue and white. 

The one against Accy completly lost control. The Accy number six swore directly at the ref. Everyone around the pitch could hear it. The ref did nothing. The Accy players from then on aimed all manner of foul language at all the officials, because they knew they would get away with it, (and they did ). It spoiled my enjoyment of the game, and set a poor example to the young lads watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

The one against Accy completly lost control. The Accy number six swore directly at the ref. Everyone around the pitch could hear it. The ref did nothing. The Accy players from then on aimed all manner of foul language at all the officials, because they knew they would get away with it, (and they did ). It spoiled my enjoyment of the game, and set a poor example to the young lads watching.

Rigger that’s the problem, they are weak and afraid that they’ll not move up the ladder if they don’t toe the line with the big clubs. A premiership referee is now on a 6 figure salary so why would they not favour their clubs. By the time they are premiership referees they are in the big clubs pockets.

I'm struggling to see what Rovers' strategy is with their reserve and youth goalkeepers. The U23s seem to alternate between Stergiakis, Eastham and Dowling a lot. Joe Hilton, on loan at Hamilton Academical where he's on the bench, I believe, was given a contract extension to 2023.

It's good to see players getting experience and, obviously, the club need to keep a number of goalkeepers on the books for the various teams, as well as in reserve for the firsts. Aidan Dowling, as the youngest, is presumably, deputising when Eastham and Stergiakis are absent. I think injuries have played a part and, perhaps, Stergiakis has been on youth international duty and missed games for that reason?

Aynsley Pears is No.2 but I wonder whether the club are nurturing any of the current youth keepers to compete for the first team, or, perhaps, they'll be looking to bring in signings again. It doesn't appear that there is a clear No.1 for the U23s, which leads me to think that the latter will occur.

Edited by riverholmes

33 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

I'm struggling to see what Rovers' strategy is with their reserve and youth goalkeepers. The U23s seem to alternate between Stergiakis, Eastham and Dowling a lot. Joe Hilton, on loan at Hamilton Academical where he's on the bench, I believe, was given a contract extension to 2023.

It's good to see players getting experience and, obviously, the club need to keep a number of goalkeepers on the books for the various teams, as well as in reserve for the firsts. Aidan Dowling, as the youngest, is presumably, deputising when Eastham and Stergiakis are absent. I think injuries have played a part and, perhaps, Stergiakis has been on youth international duty and missed games for that reason?

Aynsley Pears is No.2 but I wonder whether the club are nurturing any of the current youth keepers to compete for the first team, or, perhaps, they'll be looking to bring in signings again. It doesn't appear that there is a clear No.1 for the U23s, which leads me to think that the latter will occur.

The problem is, from what I have seen all our younger keepers, they are poor. They all have major problems in their game. It seems to be more a case of trying to decide which problem is the easiest to live with. 

Edited by rigger

21 minutes ago, unleaded said:

Doesn’t matter how poor you are at this club as long as your the son of a friend of the manager … He’s the poorest of the lot !! 

I think Pears is kept on our first team bench, because if he played for the U23s he would show how poor he really is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

The problem is, from what I have seen all our younger keepers, they are poor. They all have major problems in their game. It seems to be more a case of trying to decide which problem is the easiest to live with. 

Eastham is by far the best goalkeeper, great shot stopper, for a ‘smaller’ goalkeeper is comfortable with crosses, great kicker. He should be on the bench instead of Pears. He should go out on loan in January, and replace Pears next season. Trouble is Pears dad being mates with Mowbray, he’ll probably get an extended improved contract. Mowbray OUT, OUT, OUT.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnGo said:

Eastham is by far the best goalkeeper, great shot stopper, for a ‘smaller’ goalkeeper is comfortable with crosses, great kicker. He should be on the bench instead of Pears. He should go out on loan in January, and replace Pears next season. Trouble is Pears dad being mates with Mowbray, he’ll probably get an extended improved contract. Mowbray OUT, OUT, OUT.

As you say Eastham, is the best I have seen. His major problem, and one that is the hardest to get round, is his size. He does not command his box. A great majority of goals he has conceded this season have been due to this lack of height. I actually prefer to see him playing for the U23s than sat on the first team bench.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rigger said:

As you say Eastham, is the best I have seen. His major problem, and one that is the hardest to get round, is his size. He does not command his box. A great majority of goals he has conceded this season have been due to this lack of height. I actually prefer to see him playing for the U23s than sat on the first team bench.

I’d prefer for him to be loaned to a team that will play him. It’s not doing Hilton any good sitting on the bench. The bits I’ve seen of Hilton he looks a goodun. The others don’t fill me with confidence.

32 minutes ago, JohnGo said:

I’d prefer for him to be loaned to a team that will play him. It’s not doing Hilton any good sitting on the bench. The bits I’ve seen of Hilton he looks a goodun. The others don’t fill me with confidence.

Totally agree about Hilton.  The lad looks the best of the young goalkeepers we have and he's built similar to Friedel.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Totally agree about Hilton.  The lad looks the best of the young goalkeepers we have and he's built similar to Friedel.

I haven't seen Hilton play, but if he is our best keeper prospect, he needs to be playing at some level, not sat on a bench. 

If Mowbray and the board can actually bother to bring some players in during the January break to add some depth to the first team then hopefully some of the U23s will actually get to go out on loan. The problem is everyone at the club seemed to want to wait and see how much they can get for Armstrong and BB Díaz before even starting to sign players and left it too little too late, which also meant it was too late to loan out the youngsters. In January as fixture pileups and relegation scraps cause the League One and League Two clubs to start loaning in more youngsters, opportunities will come for the Blackburn kids. The board just needs to let them have that chance.

On 05/10/2021 at 18:55, Parsonblue said:

whats the greek lad like??,needless to say the pears signing was a disgusting piece of nepotism, the old fox warnock would never let a player leave for nothing if he was any good

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jwlrovers said:

How many are usually at the U23 games in Leyland and do you just stand or sit as you like? Not been down there before, but might give it a go tonight with my son.

You can sit or stand....walk all the way round if you want....I like to stand near the dugouts to have a listen

• Like 1

Gibraltar 2-0 down to Montenegro at HT. Annesley's been pretty assured throughout the first half, playing in the middle of a back 5 but moving into midfield when Gibraltar advance with the ball. A mistake from Joseph Chipolina allowed an early first goal before goalkeeper Chino gave away a penalty towards HT. Otherwise not much to report on. I will say for any scouts that the Gibraltar left midfielder Julian Valarino has been a nuisance down the wing.

• Like 3