BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Hull game at home? He had an impact although I personally felt that Khadra was far more influential, and that Butterworth tired about 20 minutes after coming on.

I just feel that in this case, Butterworth and Clarkson's performances are getting totally different responses based on previously held reputations when both were as bad and as lightweight as each other. Clarkson is one of the loanees, he is from Liverpool so there is an assumed favour towards them, whereas Butterworth is our own player, people have been calling for him to play as more as a common criticism to use against the manager, so when both perform poorly, one gets the brunt of the abuse and the other gets excuses and further defence. 

Sorry Hull yes and id agree Khadra was slightly better but as for being far more influential I'd say that is an overstatement.He had an impact and then not seen for matches later despite the manager building him up in the media.

Hardly shocking that fans will be more protective of one of our own players rather than a loan is it?

Also think it was stupid leaving Buckley out last night.Mowbray said he wanted to rest a couple.Buckley had played one game after a 2 week international break ffs.Clarkson has done absolutely nothing to warrant a start, he hasn't impressed starting or coming off the bench

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sorry Hull yes and id agree Khadra was slightly better but as for being far more influential I'd say that is an overstatement.He had an impact and then not seen for matches later despite the manager building him up in the media.

Hardly shocking that fans will be more protective of one of our own players rather than a loan is it?

Also think it was stupid leaving Buckley out last night.Mowbray said he wanted to rest a couple.Buckley had played one game after a 2 week international break ffs.Clarkson has done absolutely nothing to warrant a start, he hasn't impressed starting or coming off the bench

I do to an extent get extra protection towards "our own" but to be honest I think we should try to judge player performance fairly and neutrally. Both were equally poor.

Buckley himself has not been overly influential this season, yet to score from attacking midfield and needs to do more in the final third, plus he was not great in the 2 losses and a draw picked up in the last 3 games. That being said, he is obviously better than Clarkson who seems an illogical loanee who is not only not good enough but not the type of player that a team actively encouraging a lack of possession does not suit. A signing out of pure desperation due to an uncompetitive budget by the owners.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I do to an extent get extra protection towards "our own" but to be honest I think we should try to judge player performance fairly and neutrally. Both were equally poor.

Buckley himself has not been overly influential this season, yet to score from attacking midfield and needs to do more in the final third, plus he was not great in the 2 losses and a draw picked up in the last 3 games. That being said, he is obviously better than Clarkson who seems an illogical loanee who is not only not good enough but not the type of player that a team actively encouraging a lack of possession does not suit. A signing out of pure desperation due to an uncompetitive budget by the owners.

Buckley has been ok far far better than anything shown by Clarkson.

In fairness Buckley has played as part of a 3 across the midfield, wide right, right wingback and centrally in a 3 behind a front man.He hasnt spent all season as an attacking midfielder.I think he should be playing alongside Travis in a 4-2-3-1 where he can use his long passing and vision and tackling to greater effect.Use Rothwell central of the 3 behind the striker.

Agree his numbers need to be improved,but overall I think he has played well, has won the ball back for us on a number of occasions with his tackling and he can see a pass better than anyone in our squad imo.

re: Burns, while it'd be nice to assume we can find a loan for him in the National League (or NLN...) post-transfer window, I imagine part of the issue is finding a club willing and able to give him starts. Maybe others on here better know the everyday striker needs of the NL, but I suspect they're not necessarily keen to hand starts to an unproven 19-year-old.

Just look at Jack Vale, who has only managed 1 start and 4 subs with Halifax Town in the NL so far this year. He has/had more pedigree than Burns, which probably helped secure the loan, but it hasn't guaranteed him starts. He also struggled for time with Rochdale in L1 last year (although I gather he continued to have injury issues). Seems he scrambled a goal for Halifax in the FA Cup last week and finally got a start yesterday, so hope that continues for him.

Burns' pedigree is growing, but I don't recall much noise about loaning him out in August. I suspect the original hope was to loan McBride out to a L2 club and have Burns continue as the 1st choice u23 striker, but McBride's loan fell through for whatever reason and then Burns started outshining him. McBride was even on the bench in favour of Burns a couple weeks ago, so this helps ensure game time for McBride

FWIW, in the brief bits I've seen, I struggle to see Burns taking the step up to the Championship level, but I certainly hope he proves me wrong! Good to see him continue to produce at the PL2 level. He's gotten a start and a sub so far with FC United, a month or two playing against 'men' can't hurt, maybe he can earn a higher loan in Jan, and their Twitter feed suggest he's impressed, including his contribution to this "beautiful" goal yesterday haha: 

Edited by RoverCanada

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

It was free last week.  That's a big increase....don't give them any ideas.

It's been free all season, but that is probably due to the Rovers not having season tickets to send out. I don't know this as a fact it is just my opinion.

Sad to read that Zak Gilsenan suffered an anterior cruciate ligament injury whilst on international youth duty with Ireland. Hope he can come back from it. As for the U23 game versus Liverpool, I think the loanee attacking trio should be involved and some other fringe players to try to build their confidence and form. Maybe, even van Hecke, for the fitness.

I was surprised to read the quote from Mowbray: “I had a difficult discussion with Jan Paul this week about how he had to sit on the bench because we were planning on playing this game with a different shape against these particular opponents." I don't want to read too much into a single sentence quote without full context and I'm sure van Hecke will improve with games, but he shouldn't be expecting a starting place at the moment.

Edited by riverholmes

38 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Cirino at fault for the first goal. Too casual.

That was Saidi. 

Awful first half with a lot of first team players not looking up for it. Garrett probably the only one looking decent, although he's already on a yellow for another for his trademark rash tackles.

11 minutes ago, briansol said:

That was Saidi. 

Awful first half with a lot of first team players not looking up for it. Garrett probably the only one looking decent, although he's already on a yellow for another for his trademark rash tackles.

Fair enough I was opposite end. Nobody any good  really 

• Like 1