BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Where do the issues lie?

Tom

• Backroom

So after tonight we have a strikeforce only bettered by Watford, near 40 goals between them.

We have signed a keeper and have another in good form.

Wingers that can create good chances.

Young attacking full backs that can defend as well as attack.

International centre halves of decent pedigree.

Yet we haven't even challenged for a promotion space in a season when any 2 from 4 can go up automatically and the playoff spots are being contended by a further 4.

Why are we falling short?

Is it purely the manager and his tactics or something else?

The mentality of the players who can't get any consistency and have squandered leads in 10 games?

Not enough leaders?

Or a perfect storm of all the above?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

This season, mainly down to management and tactics. Our issues next season are going to be very different though. I have no idea where our goals are going to come from, with Rhodes and Gestede both likely to be off. Our midfielders don't score many and our strike force will consist of Brown and two or three freebies/loans, as King probably won't be around either.

A better manager could have had us challenging in the top six this year. Next season it could very well be a better manager being needed to keep our heads above water.

• Backroom

The midfield being dire?

Sad but maybe true, since the manager came in for 4 positions across the midfield we have signed in some form:

Marshall

Conway

Cairney

Evans

Judge

Marrow

Spearing

Dabo

Taylor

Taylor

Feeney

Hopefully soon we will get it right

This season, mainly down to management and tactics. Our issues next season are going to be very different though. I have no idea where our goals are going to come from, with Rhodes and Gestede both likely to be off. Our midfielders don't score many and our strike force will consist of Brown and two or three freebies/loans, as King probably won't be around either.

A better manager could have had us challenging in the top six this year. Next season it could very well be a better manager being needed to keep our heads above water.

I completely agree with this. Bowyer really should be part of our scouting network and be given a remit to find the players that we need (to improve) - rather than just those who are available - by a manager who can get this team purring.

• Backroom

Venkys is an easy answer and the answer for why we are where we are but from that point on there are other issues that are solvable

So after tonight we have a strikeforce only bettered by Watford, near 40 goals between them.

We have signed a keeper and have another in good form.

Wingers that can create good chances.

Young attacking full backs that can defend as well as attack.

International centre halves of decent pedigree.

According to this we have decent players all over the pitch bar midfield. So it must be obvious where the "issues" (hate that word) lie.,

No pace in the team ..

Bowyer does nt know his best team..

A complete set of midfielders that cannot tackle a fish supper...

A lack of a physical presence throughout the team...

My last gripe is the goalkeeper , I do hope Raya doesnt get sold and his 1st choice next season ..Cos Steele is no bloody good !

• Backroom

its ok saying players this manager that but there is no argument they are reaping what theyve sown.

So it's pointless changing anything then?

Surely the biggest single issue is that Bowyer (or somebody) doesn't know his best team and play it, with every player in their natural position?

How do you develop a team as opposed to a squad unless they learn together on the pitch?

In Burnley's case they were better than the sum of their individual parts. We are not.

I'd add-----too many injuries which perhaps has prevented him picking the best side. Not sure he'd pick then anyway.

The whole club is being run on the cheap, lack of structure is a major issue. Probably contributes to the injuries.

I wonder if we could tempt Palace with a Gestede Murray plus cash part ex? We could then look at a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Get Baptiste in at CH and a decent def mid in the mould of Eustace at Derby or Bridcutt at Sunderland.

Difficult to see it happening but it could be doable.

Sorry, completely off topic there. I'm with Abbey by the way, Venky's and their inertia are the problem.

Archived