BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season 2015/16 Discussion

This is exactly why their tenure makes no sense. There was no ambition to stay in the PL (which was infinitely easier) - there is even less ambition to get back there.

Excuses:

- Bad advice - it was just that, advice. They didn't have to follow it so naively, the could and should have sought a SECOND opinion, or put more faith in John Williams who had successfully maintained the club with astute player sales and £3m Trust injections

- Kean was a "nice man" - REALLY? Did your daddy just hand you the keys to your business? Oh wait...

- FFP - we knew this was coming and continued to waste time with poor signings, entrusting a novice whilst we had the ADVANTAGE of parachute payments

- Embargo - this could have been challenged for a fraction of what they are losing A MONTH.

- Player sales - this will be the next one. Under the restrictions we should have been keeping every quality player for as long as they had contracts (unless release clauses were met).

Everything is half-hearted. They pretend they want promotion, with meaningless pledges, but they are trying to do that at the same time that they are downsizing, without an astute manager even attempting to work miracles in the transfer market - favours from PL teams with loans and/or excellent contacts across Europe. Why can't we do this? There is NO-ONE who would come in (reputation fully no claims protected) and a massive bonus for promotion? REALLY??

C'mon - WAKE UP!

Spot on. Excellent post.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. Is it possible to give a minus mark?

Bristol City's was generous at 4 mind. They've signed less players than us!

They haven't sold anyone though. Signing Guthrie would bring that up to a 3 but losing Rhodes has to reduce that to zero

• Moderation Lead

It's just him stating the obvious really, I wouldn't say he was 'literary gifted'! Especially when he spelt 'certainly' as 'cetainly' :rover:

Though the last line I did like:

'But would I rather be anywhere else but Ewood, meeting friends and being carried away by the hope-springs-eternal vibe on Saturday? Certainly not.'

It's just him stating the obvious really, I wouldn't say he was 'literary gifted'! Especially when he spelt 'certainly' as 'cetainly' :rover:

Though the last line I did like:

'But would I rather be anywhere else but Ewood, meeting friends and being carried away by the hope-springs-eternal vibe on Saturday? Certainly not.'

Is always an entertaining read not least because of his style.

One of our local journalists still hasn't mastered when to use 'to' or 'too' !

• Moderation Lead

Is always an entertaining read not least because of his style.

One of our local journalists still hasn't mastered when to use 'to' or 'too' !

I think it was Jim that initially highlighted the poor grammar in the LT, and when you read a lot of the articles, there are far more instances of poor grammar than there should be for journalists!

You wonder if the editor turns up p1ssed!

I think it was Jim that initially highlighted the poor grammar in the LT, and when you read a lot of the articles, there are far more instances of poor grammar than there should be for journalists!

You wonder if the editor turns up p1ssed!

Not just talking about the LT !

So chaps the seasons almost here and despite losing Gestede, or best defender in Baptiste and Cairney we've managed so far to keep hold of Rhodes.

If we manage to keep hold of Rhodes we'll probably finish mid table, if we lose Rhodes we'll struggle to stay up.

It's the most uninspiring lead up to opening day of any season I can ever remember. Not sure if I'll come up for this one, come Friday I'll be chomping at the bit!

It's the most uninspiring lead up to opening day of any season I can ever remember.

Most uninspiring aka worst preseason I've ever encountered was 3 years ago when SK got us relegated and the Raos answer was to keep him and bring Shebby Singh in.

I'd take this summer again a million times over that.

Most uninspiring aka worst preseason I've ever encountered was 3 years ago when SK got us relegated and the Raos answer was to keep him and bring Shebby Singh in.

TBH every season since relegation or under the Venky reign as been uninspiring and gets worse....only for JR's goals that 1st season down we'd off gone down again

VENKYS OUT

We still had hope that we'd get back into the Premiership, now we have no hope, assets sold, dumbing down in full flow.

Interesting that Wolves today have announced they have sold just under 14000 season tickets for this season.

Wolves being the 'massive city club' that are many people's favourites for promotion. The likes of whom we will be unable to compete with ever again (according to some).

Yet at the last count Rovers had sold about 10500 season tickets, despite one of the worst summers on record, general misery among thousands of supporters, no communication from the owners or club and numerous other problems which have been discussed to death on this website.

Interesting that the differences between the two clubs amount to about 3500 season tickets.

Interesting that Wolves today have announced they have sold just under 14000 season tickets for this season.

Wolves being the 'massive city club' that are many people's favourites for promotion. The likes of whom we will be unable to compete with ever again (according to some).

Yet at the last count Rovers had sold about 10500 season tickets, despite one of the worst summers on record, general misery among thousands of supporters, no communication from the owners or club and numerous other problems which have been discussed to death on this website.

Interesting that the differences between the two clubs amount to about 3500 season tickets.

So what you are saying is that we shouldn't be so unambitious? Maybe hang on to our best players? Maybe expect to be able to attract a better manager?

Novel. I like it. :)

Problem we have is that though we have a hardy bunch of ST holders that matches up to most Championship clubs, we sell very few walk on tickets game by game.

Though Wolves have sold 14000 STs, they will have 4/5000 buying them on matchday. We'll be lucky if we sell a 1000.

Leeds, Forest etc. are the same. Alas, it is the pitfalls of being a town club surrounded by other league sides.

Problem we have is that though we have a hardy bunch of ST holders that matches up to most Championship clubs, we sell very few walk on tickets game by game.

Though Wolves have sold 14000 STs, they will have 4/5000 buying them on matchday. We'll be lucky if we sell a 1000.

Leeds, Forest etc. are the same. Alas, it is the pitfalls of being a town club surrounded by other league sides.

We need to find a way of attracting people to Ewood and get them into the habit of going to games regularly.

Charging Category A prices for a Friday night televised game (Bolton) is certainly not the way to go about boosting home gates.

I wonder whether it is the club choosing those prices or whether the police have applied pressure?

We need to find a way of attracting people to Ewood and get them into the habit of going to games regularly.

Charging Category A prices for a Friday night televised game (Bolton) is certainly not the way to go about boosting home gates.

I wonder whether it is the club choosing those prices or whether the police have applied pressure?

A walk on, standing terrace area might help.

I know everyone is in doom mode but I reckon we aren't actually looking too bad. Compared to last summer we are stronger at gk and rb particularly, and Olsson has made lb on his own which is great.

CB we are weaker as no Baptiste. But then Gaz inexplicably didn't play Baps at CB. So arguably not much weaker. If Killer gets crocked we are screwed though..

CM we might be much better.... Depends if one or two of Guthrie, Peschi, Tomlinson and Lenihan can be an improvement. I would say the odds are that will happen as they can't all be as bad as Evans/Willamson/Lowe.

Really liked Cairney as a player but not convinced we will be any worse with Guthrie instead of him.

Major losses are Gestede and King. Neither yet properly replaced. However I do feel Conway and Marshall will weigh in with goals a lot more in the 4231 which will partially compensate. Koita is an unknown quantity but based on 30 mins against Wigan (so a stab in the dark really) I think he will struggle to get more than 6 or 7 over a season tidy as he is.

I reckon we look about a solid 12th at the moment. Could do a bit better, could do a bit worse. Can't see relegation on the cards at all unless Rhodes goes.

Not saying this in anyway to excuse the heinous crimes of Venkys - they have to go ASAP - and the mediocre management of Gaz. Just an honest appraisal of where the squad is compared to last year.

I know everyone is in doom mode but I reckon we aren't actually looking too bad. Compared to last summer we are stronger at gk and rb particularly, and Olsson has made lb on his own which is great.

CB we are weaker as no Baptiste. But then Gaz inexplicably didn't play Baps at CB. So arguably not much weaker. If Killer gets crocked we are screwed though..

CM we might be much better.... Depends if one or two of Guthrie, Peschi, Tomlinson and Lenihan can be an improvement. I would say the odds are that will happen as they can't all be as bad as Evans/Willamson/Lowe.

Really liked Cairney as a player but not convinced we will be any worse with Guthrie instead of him.

Major losses are Gestede and King. Neither yet properly replaced. However I do feel Conway and Marshall will weigh in with goals a lot more in the 4231 which will partially compensate. Koita is an unknown quantity but based on 30 mins against Wigan (so a stab in the dark really) I think he will struggle to get more than 6 or 7 over a season tidy as he is.

I reckon we look about a solid 12th at the moment. Could do a bit better, could do a bit worse. Can't see relegation on the cards at all unless Rhodes goes.

Not saying this in anyway to excuse the heinous crimes of Venkys - they have to go ASAP - and the mediocre management of Gaz. Just an honest appraisal of where the squad is compared to last year.

I too think around mid-table is where we are looking like with the squad we have at the moment, King never really played so losing him I don't think will effect our league position much in comparison to last season, and as you say if Marshall and Conway can chip in with a few goals it will help soften the blow of losing Gestede if we can start spreading goals round the team. Think that's the key for us this season, the midfield chipping in with more goals and I'm not banking on it but getting a solid centre back partnership going would also be key as for the last 3 seasons we've simply conceded to many goals. I think Killa has to start alongside one of Hanley and Duffy, get a run of games and hopefully get a confidence boosting clean sheet early on. As saturday approaches I feel myself getting more excited for the new season, hopefully at 5pm on Saturday some of that optimism will remain!

If this season sees us exit the embargo and not get relegated, then we'll have a foothold to re-establish ourselves the following season. Football clubs don't get many second chances. Maybe this is ours.

The litmus test is how the club handles its money going forward after this season. Will Venkys really have learned their lesson, or will the process of naivety and trusting the wrong people start all over again? It really has been project cut-your-cloth and eject-the-dross over the last couple of seasons. Selling your best players is never a good thing for the fans, but surely it's a necessary evil for financial responsibility. The days of £8m for Jordan Rhodes and £40K a week are over (for now at least).

They may be low expectations, but live today, fight tomorrow.

Unfortunately we will always be too poorly supported and cash strapped as a result to mount a serious promotion challenge. Just like in the 80's when we never quite managed to cross the line through lack of funds / selling our best players.

I think that's jumping the gun somewhat. Whilst I believe this team, even without the likes of Gestede, Cairney, Baptiste and (possibly Rhodes) is still decent, under the current management that is not enough.

Let's face it GB got us upper mid-table with a team that was easily top 6 in quality. Where will he get a mid-table team (which I believe we probably are without our amazing strike force and having lost a few very useful players)? Evidence would suggest under GB that we'll struggle at the wrong end of the table. The litmus test is how badly will Bowyer screw us up - relegation could kill us.

Not that he's solely to blame, but I've ranted on about Venkeys till I'm blue. But the idea of regrouping under the current management is worrying as they missed the mark well and truely with the first clear shot at a promotion push.

In fairness he got us to 8th. But c'mon blueblood you are over egging the pudding there. Our squad isn't within a million miles of the last promotion squad and even then we only finished second and shook Bolton off at virtually the last minute.

Archived