BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for wood for trees Mani Rovers situation won't improve until Venky's Go ..If as most are predicting and it certainly seems that way the financial plight as got worse or Venky's have an exit plan can definitely see Rhodes going close on valuation where previously the Rao's have knocked back and Gestede may be left sulking depending on financial and Venkys stubborn ways it looks like we'll have to wait and see..

The club is an absolute sham at the moment even season tickets not back on sale what is all that about

Venky's have been terrible for our club. The vast majority of their mistakes occurring in their first 6 months in charge... Williams, Sam, Anderson, Shebby, Kean etc... Can't help thinking what they'd have achieved if they'd just kept the top two.

But be careful what you wish for!! I'm not sure we'll exist for long after they've gone. The only thing that can save us long term is a good run and promotion. There's worse teams who've done it. Then at least we'd be financially secure

Yeah, like I said... Furman, Maguire and Kim would represent a brilliant bit of business in the circumstances IMO.

I'm not sure anyone will offer the 'up front' money on Rhodes or Gestede. I'm not sure they're actually worth those amounts...

However, I do think Gaz is setting us up for a 4231 or a 4411 formation with Marshall or Kim deployed as a 10 behind the striker...if so then that appears to suggest that they expect to lose one of the two.

We will see.

Pity they can't keep them both. Rhodes up top against the weaker opposition where we will have territorial advantage and expect to be in and around the box more and Gestede up top for when we play the big boys of the Division.

Just as an aside if we set up to play a big man up top who is strong with his back to goal, can dominate centre halves and can bring in the midfield players then Brown and Gestede are pretty interchangeable should injury / suspension demand it. Although his 1st touch is poorest of all three Gestede is like a hybrid of the best bits of the pair of them

....correct .

And not 35 yard from goal on his ownsome lonesome with no support within 15 yards.

Said many times before,ball to the bye line into the box and Rhodes is at his best.

Agreed, he needs it cut back.

Bit difficult to do that with dyslexic wingers and a comatose midfield.

Slightly alarming reading some of Bowyer's comments this morning in the Telegraph re. Rhodes.

Once again he is basically broadcasting that Rhodes will be available. No statement of determination to keep him, no statement of we will only sell him to a Premier League side. No mention of how he is a critically important player for us and whose departure to a league rival would be the final straw for a lot of supporters. Bowyer must know himself that lose Rhodes and Gestede and it will be League One time. Dean Furman won't save us from that. Lose 20 goals and we might be able to make up 10 from other players, but lose 40 and that is impossible to replace.

I am still confident that no Championship club is going to be in a position to be either willing or able to stump up the anticipated £8-10 million asking price for Rhodes. If someone does and the club sells him to a rival then I think we all deserve answers as to why we have to cash in whilst under an embargo to try and achieve future compliance whilst similar sized clubs can spend millions on strengthening and still avoid sanctions.

Also seems odd that for the second day running the Lancashire Telegraph have referred to a work permit as being a potential stumbling block in the Kim signing. I don't think that was an issue when he signed for Cardiff or Wigan so why should it be an issue if he is joining us? More likely wishful thinking from the Telegraph who are worried we might be signing a decent player in spite of the embargo which they have thoroughly enjoyed reporting on all summer. Either that or the establishment are planning on screwing us over once again.

Venky's have been terrible for our club. The vast majority of their mistakes occurring in their first 6 months in charge... Williams, Sam, Anderson, Shebby, Kean etc... Can't help thinking what they'd have achieved if they'd just kept the top two.

But be careful what you wish for!! I'm not sure we'll exist for long after they've gone. The only thing that can save us long term is a good run and promotion. There's worse teams who've done it. Then at least we'd be financially secure

We simply haven't got the foundations for a promotion push, ie decent owners, a competent MD and a competent manager.

And therein lies the real conundrum. Promotion would be the answer to our financial plight but the majority of fans don't think we have the right structure in place, both on and off the field. How on earth can the Indians (and Bowyer to a degree in his recent LT article) be serious about promotion when they would sell any player for the right price. All this does is dumb down the hopes of the fans.

Hypothesising and fast forwarding twelve months we will be in an even worse position without promotion so eventually something will have to give.

It's the one thing that grates with me, 'we don't play to Rhodes strengths'.. Well as a footballer, he has no strengths.. He is a finisher, nothing more..

"Play the ball to his feet" I hear :).

Under pressure, away from home, the ball to relieve pressure is the ball into the corner. The long straight ball is the worst ball out of defence. All the good strikers run the flanks, but Rhodes just can't do that job. There's talk of us not playing the ball up around his ears, but any straight ball would have to be up around his ears because anything straight and along the ground would be cut out. Again, the most effective outball to feet is the one into the corner.

As you say, he's a finisher, a very good one, but nothing else.

Another post aimed at starting a row.. What is it with this message board..?

It'd be a 'great coup', but you 'fear'..?

Accusing Tom of starting a row just demonstrates how little you know.

How on earth can the Indians (and Bowyer to a degree in his recent LT article) be serious about promotion when they would sell any player for the right price. All this does is dumb down the hopes of the fans.

I can't think of a single part of my time watching rovers where this wasn't the case. Even Shearer had a "right" price.

It's also not quite as easy to hypothesise the outcome of selling more players as we have no idea of the impact that may or may not have one the financial situation surrounding the club

For instance if Mercerman is correct- surely selling players could be good as it facilitates the exit of the owners. Now, being realistic that could be even worse in the long run because what's stopping a "gaydamak buys from mandaric" scenario? We could be lumbered with even worse owners.

If I had to guess what was going to happen... I wouldn't bother. You can't predict this structure because, as we've seen time and time again; it's impossible.

.....Also seems odd that for the second day running the Lancashire Telegraph have referred to a work permit as being a potential stumbling block in the Kim signing. I don't think that was an issue when he signed for Cardiff or Wigan so why should it be an issue if he is joining us? More likely wishful thinking from the Telegraph who are worried we might be signing a decent player in spite of the embargo which they have thoroughly enjoyed reporting on all summer. Either that or the establishment are planning on screwing us over once again.

Nobody likes me, everybody hates me, think I'll go and eat worms.....

We simply haven't got the foundations for a promotion push, ie decent owners, a competent MD and a competent manager.

Crikey! You missed out the most obvious and important factor...... good players!

Under pressure, away from home, the ball to relieve pressure is the ball into the corner. The long straight ball is the worst ball out of defence. All the good strikers run the flanks, but Rhodes just can't do that job. There's talk of us not playing the ball up around his ears, but any straight ball would have to be up around his ears because anything straight and along the ground would be cut out. Again, the most effective outball to feet is the one into the corner.

There are none so blind as those that cannot see, den.

I can't think of a single part of my time watching rovers where this wasn't the case. Even Shearer had a "right" price.

It's also not quite as easy to hypothesise the outcome of selling more players as we have no idea of the impact that may or may not have one the financial situation surrounding the club

For instance if Mercerman is correct- surely selling players could be good as it facilitates the exit of the owners. Now, being realistic that could be even worse in the long run because what's stopping a "gaydamak buys from mandaric" scenario? We could be lumbered with even worse owners.

If I had to guess what was going to happen... I wouldn't bother. You can't predict this structure because, as we've seen time and time again; it's impossible.

Neither Jack Walker or Ray Harford did any interviews about selling any players and both did their damnest to keep our better players, especially Shearer. You have hypothesised a couple of scenarios yourself which is a normal human trait. The difference being that, given the facts the majority have a good idea where we are heading.

Neither Jack Walker or Ray Harford did any interviews about selling any players and both did their damnest to keep our better players, especially Shearer. You have hypothesised a couple of scenarios yourself which is a normal human trait. The difference being that, given the facts the majority have a good idea where we are heading.

Yes but neither could stop us from selling players for the optimum. Same goes for Hughes, Souness, Big Sam etc.

Also, when else in history have we been in embargo for losing money, and as financially unstable? I haven't kept the same level of expectation in this climate.

We all may think we know where this is going, but how do we truly know? The hypothesis about JR leaving is 4 transfers old now. How many would've predicted that? Not many, certainly not the majority of this website.

I also thought Rudy would be gone in June... As I think many on here would say the same.

If we keep the strikers, there's no guarantee that well fare any better or worse, just like losing one or both is not the guaranteed death knell many predict.

Sick of using Burnley as an example but they sold their best striker and had another unknown waiting in the wings.

Bournemouth last season also had 5 players on 10+ goals (plus Harry arter on 9) and that's part of the reason for their success. Daryl Murphy bagged 27 for Ipswich and they still finished 6th.

If all this was so easy to predict as many seem to think- none of us would be working, we'd be putting bets on all day!

Nixon also says that there is a £4 million price tag on Hanley's head and an £8 million cash price tag on Gestede's head. If those figures are correct and Venkys will not budge at all on those then I can't see any of them departing this summer.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out, particularly with Gestede. Will he knuckle down and accept it if he doesn't get a move?

Some people might call it stupid but I think that putting hefty price tags on Rhodes/Gestede is exactly the way to do business. Don't budge an inch. They are our players, very good players, and we can't do very much to replace them. Why on earth should we be under pressure to sell them?

And that gentlemen is exactly why Rhodes would be a poor acquisition to a bottom 10 premier league club.

When you re under the cosh for 70 mins of a game away from home against top Premier League opposition to play Rhodes would be suicidal.

The ball would be coming back at the defence every single time. The boy is not an all round footballer with very little pace. In the Premier League his goal scoring chances would be very limited.

And thats why IMO Rhodes if hes going anywhere it will be to another to another Championship side.The Premier League will find him out.

Ask Gordan Strachan ..

Ha ha probably.

I hope he does stay. 12 or 25 million, short term will make no positive difference to US except to make us weaker.

One day he will have to go imy. A footballers career is pretty short and one man does not make a team remember. I've seen dozens of better players than JR leave too. Just as an aside seeing Matt Jansen in last nights LT made me so sad. I know it's apples and pears but Matty was about a tenth the player Alan Shearer was but was 10x the player Jordan Rhodes is.

I also thought Rudy would be gone in June... As I think many on here would say the same.

Seems to me both Gestede and Rhodes not surprisingly given their pro's and con's are not prime targets for Premier League clubs or they would have gone. BUT they could well become panic buys as the clock to the deadline ticks down and clubs have missed their primary targets.

As per what I said yesterday, both Rudy and Rhodes are available but only if someone is willing to match Venky's valuation. Rhodes valuation is based on Ross McCormack (sp) being sold to Fulham last year for £11 million, Venky's want more than that hence the £12 million value. I would say £10 million upfront with £2 million guaranteed add on's would get him. As the we get closer to the end of the window I can see someone getting desperate and paying that. Whilst Rovers are under embargo and want to come out of it as soon as possible, what Venky's seem to have decided that they would rather remain under embargo than to sell players below their valuations.

Archived