BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Talk Part 2

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We really should be looking for a bit of youth upfront with a bit of pace not these ageing injury prone lumps. If we'd made an effort to find one in the past to have on the bench it might not make the situation so dire in the short term if we lose Rudy. Big lumps are ten a penny in this league and lower and it should be easy to find another one of them if needed. Very much doubt the Gestede situation will be repeated they're are unique and only happen once in a while.

Now Cairney has left number one priority has to be finding someone who can play centre midfield and pass the bloody ball as well as get up and down the pitch and put a tackle in.

Closest we have had to that is Tunnicliffe so I would sign him. Jamie O'Hara used to be good but when I've seen him in the last four years he's been weak also he has an abysmal injury record... Spearing went from an amazing debut to terrible. Also Gaz seemed to be avoiding playing him towards the end of the season so can't see that happening.

As for Cairney - most players who have left Rovers I have thought they would not go on to do much with their career (obvious ones like Nzonzi, P and J Jones aside), however Cairney I reckon could end up in the Premiership. Never did that much for us, but has the quality on the ball for the top league. If he can perform better defensively he could step up I think.

• Moderation Lead

He's a pupett working for a puppet board and don't believe everything your told.

To be fair to him Athlete, it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing....

When we signed Gestede I looked at his scoring record and after his first performance I called him a "downgraded version of Leon Best"!

So you never know, Rovers might be able to get the best out of Davies (if we sign him) like they have done with Rudy. Davies poor goalscoring record is better than Rudy's when he joined us.

When we signed Gestede I looked at his scoring record and after his first performance I called him a "downgraded version of Leon Best"!

So you never know, Rovers might be able to get the best out of Davies (if we sign him) like they have done with Rudy. Davies poor goalscoring record is better than Rudy's when he joined us.

Wasn't it "poor mans Leon best?"

Yes but Gestede was 25 and joined us from a Premier League club having previously played in the top division in France. He clearly had something about him, had years ahead of him to realise his potential and increase in value for the club to sell him on at a big profit.

Davies is the opposite of the above. He's 29, unlikely to improve, will never command a significant transfer fee. In his career to date he has appeared for about a dozen Football League clubs, most of which were in the Third Division at the time he played for them. The only two clubs he has had any kind of prolific scoring record for have been Chesterfield and Barnsley.

The thought of him and Chris Brown being our first choice strikers next season actually makes me feel ill.

A side that finished miles behind us last season are letting him go and are contemplating giving Emile Heskey another years contract. I think that says it all to be honest.

To be fair to him Athlete, it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing....

We seem to be split into people who believe one thing people who believe something else ..It's all about opinions mine is Bowyer didn't want the gig then changed his mind he's constantly proved he's out his depth either that or there not his decisions.. Why after going so called rogue his Shaw still in charge ? Did he take the flak for the Rao's ? Hence another joke . Where's our chairman or CE ? What are the Rao's plans ? If they wanted promotion a proper manager would be installed if not leave or install a pupett.

Do they want a proper run club if so get in a proper board structure if not keep some one who has no power

Let's see if the same is being discussed in 12 months time

Vastly different. Rudy was a one off and was young and always had a bit of potential in his all round play if not his scoring record, mainly due to his athletic ability. Signing ageing injury prone cast offs with a questionable record from poor sides like Bolton is only going to end one way. We've seen it all before, if he was signed to replace Brown or Varney as back up then fair enough.

Seen a lot of him have you?

I have and he is poor. I have said several times that there are League Two and National Conference players who would be better for us than Brown and offer more in terms of mobility. And they wouldn't cost what we are paying him and have a hunger that he hasn't.

He's right one way or another

I'll bow to your opinion as I'm sure you've seen Brown more than the two games I've seen. From what I saw he was physically strong with a sound touch and used the ball intelligently. He's ok for a freebie but, of course, no world beater. Nor is he deserving of the invective that he's subject to on here. It's a bit tiresome and getting as tedious as 'has numbnuts gone yet?'.

Are you sure that was Chris brown you were looking at? I don't normally get involved in criticising players but brown was poor whenever I saw him last year. The job of a striker or any forward player is primarily to score goals, to threaten to score goals or to help others score goals. Which of those did he do regularly when played?

Are you sure that was Chris brown you were looking at? I don't normally get involved in criticising players but brown was poor whenever I saw him last year. The job of a striker or any forward player is primarily to score goals, to threaten to score goals or to help others score goals. Which of those did he do regularly when played?

Like I say I only saw him a couple of times, he was arguably the pick of a poor bunch against Rotherham. I wouldn't say he's top drawer but he could be a decent squad member. It might be interesting to see what contribution he can make with a pre season under his belt.

Often you can find yourself in odd positions on here defending players or administrators you don't particularly like or rate merely to act as some kind of counter balance to to the ever increasing number of band wagon jumpers who have no sense of nuance whatsoever.

Like I say I only saw him a couple of times, he was arguably the pick of a poor bunch against Rotherham. I wouldn't say he's top drawer but he could be a decent squad member. It might be interesting to see what contribution he can make with a pre season under his belt.

Often you can find yourself in odd positions on here defending players or administrators you don't particularly like or rate merely to act as some kind of counter balance to to the ever increasing number of band wagon jumpers who have no sense of nuance whatsoever.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon. I seriously have not seen a half decent performance from him. Many years ago, in the past when we had some good players, the guy behind us used to get on Lucas Neil's back. I could never understand it because even on a poor day, Lucas wasn't bad. Then when he left, the guy got on pedersens back, and I couldn't understand it because Pedersen, even on a bad day, might just find the touch we knew he had. I've seen nothing from brown to suggest he's ever had a touch, ever had any talent or ever looked like doing the job I think strikers are paid for.

I know we are talking a different level of player and I'm not expecting him to be of the calibre of Neill or Pedersen. I'm not even expecting him to be of the calibre of our other strikers because they are good. However, I am expecting him to be of the calibre of a decent back up striker, and so far I've seen nothing to suggest he might be. He looks poor and so far our return on him has been poor.

I'm not jumping on a bandwagon. I seriously have not seen a half decent performance from him. Many years ago, in the past when we had some good players, the guy behind us used to get on Lucas Neil's back. I could never understand it because even on a poor day, Lucas wasn't bad. Then when he left, the guy got on pedersens back, and I couldn't understand it because Pedersen, even on a bad day, might just find the touch we knew he had. I've seen nothing from brown to suggest he's ever had a touch, ever had any talent or ever looked like doing the job I think strikers are paid for.

I know we are talking a different level of player and I'm not expecting him to be of the calibre of Neill or Pedersen. I'm not even expecting him to be of the calibre of our other strikers because they are good. However, I am expecting him to be of the calibre of a decent back up striker, and so far I've seen nothing to suggest he might be. He looks poor and so far our return on him has been poor.

Fair enough. I wouldn't accuse you of being a bandwagon jumper, sorry if that's the impression I gave.

Gumboots, check out the Sheffield Wednesday away highlights- on one of his handful of starts he made a big difference. He also had a big impact as sub against leeds away it I'm not mistaken.

Whilst he also looked absolutely terrible against Brighton (many did) I still think he's good foil for rhodes.

No good playing reasonably well in a couple of away games though. If he's going to play, it's probably not going to be as a foil for Rhodes, who is currently more likely to leave than not. He needs to do what you expect strikers to do - score - even if not regularly. He needs to regularly threaten to score and set up chances for others. I accept he may have done ok in a couple of away games but not at ewood, or not when I've been watching. When I've watched I've seen a big guy who can't jump, doesn't look like scoring and is totally without pace. He's not even fun like kuqi was

Archived