BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Journey Into Mordor

Sky Sports HQ Team Meeting:

The head of Sky Sports opens the meeting. "Right lads, we're now onto phase 726 of "Operation Let's-Get-Leeds-Into-The-Prem-Because-They're-A-Big-Club-By-Showing-Them-On-Sky-Every-Week". This weeks opponents are." he looks down at his piece of paper, "Blackburn Rovers."

A faintly puzzled look comes on his face as he tries to remember who Blackburn Rovers are. The look changes to one of disgust as he remembers they had the temerity to win the Premier League and spoil it for the big boys. Fortunately the media team have been able to ensure that no one will remember this event by burning all footage of Rovers winning the title. Even so, it leaves a bad taste in his mouth. "Anyone any suggestions on how we market this?"

"We could focus on the owners," one young creative spark, chirps up. "The Ultimate Meddler vs. the Immovable Indifferents." Warming to his topic the young executive warms to his topic. "You've got the Leeds owner who isn't happy if he hasn't changed the manager at least once a month, whereas Rovers owners haven't even spoken to anyone at the club in the past few years."

"That's partly because the fax machine is wonky," interjects an executive from the Preston region.

"And we could focus on which is more detrimental to the club. Interfering in every aspect of the club from transfers, who plays, what the players have for lunch and who's managing the team, or not giving a hoot about any aspect of the club, especially the positions of managing director and manager." A few appreciative murmurs echo round the table.

The Head of Sky Sports shakes his head. "No we can't do that. We promised our mate Jerry we'd keep showing that Blackburn's owners are meddling t-pots who made his best mate's position untenable. So we can't use that idea. We need something else."

Everyone was silent for a minute. Then the head of the creative team spoke up. "Why don't we do what we always do and hype up that this is the biggest game ever that everyone in the football world will be glued to. You know, loud, edgy, rock music, edited footage showing how beltingly brilliant the two teams play - ok we might have to go back in the archives for that. And best of all we'll use an over excited voice and some alliteration to show what an amazing event this is going to be.

"I'm not sure 'Who Gives A T*ss Thursday' really works" the young creative queried."

"Nah, we'll call it Fantastic Fursday's and let everyone know it will be mental. That'll reel the viewers in." The Head of Sky Sports nodded in approval; everything was sorted.

Ahem, a slightly jaded look at the fixture, but I do wonder why it's on Sky as neither team has set the Championship on fire this season. The main talking points have been how Leeds have got through another manager - that's 5 in the last 12 months - and how, for Rovers, despite only having 2 wins from 13 this season, we're somehow out of the relegation zone.

Living in the centre of the Dark Side, I've seen and heard quite a bit of media about the goings on at Leeds this season and the reaction to yet another change of manager. Mostly the consensus is that Rosler was executing a 2 year promotion plan, and under the impression that that was what he was being judged on. Of course the fact that Cellino implied this was the case (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/3440357) should not have been taken at face value. Local commentators seem to be surprised at this, praising the good work Rosler had done in uniting a divided dressing room - a dressing room spirit that cannot have been helped when all the Italian players went on strike for a game last season - and how this was necessary before progress could be made on the pitch.

Perhaps the best news for Leeds fans is that Cellino has been banned again for tax evasion (good job we've got that fit and proper person's test) and so won't be able to interfere with the day to day running of the club. His last act before the ban was to appoint former Rotherham boss Evans as manager. Having got his previous two clubs promoted, and kept Rotherham in the Championship, his CV isn't too shabby. He's not the most tactful of managers and it'll be interesting to see how that plays with Cellino (when he is back) but also the fragile dressing room at Elland Road. His one match to date was a creditable draw against an in-form Fulham team.

It's nice to be able to focus on other team's problems.

As for us... Losing to the dingles hurts a lot, and it really is crunch time for Bowyer, after what was a disastrous week for us. A loss to MK Dons, who're in abysmal form, a creditable point against Derby marred by the fact that we could have had three if we'd have had a right good go, was compounded by the cardinal sin - loosing to our hated rivals at home - AGAIN. Despite a promising performance we ended up with nothing. Some might just say when this happens on a regular basis, that it shows we're in the deep do-do going nowhere under Bowyer and Shaw's inept leadership. (When Bowyer is the more promising of the two you have issues...)

Rant about how losing to a bunch of Yorkshire inbreds aside (I hate, absolutely hate, losing to them.) A fixture vs Leeds however under increased pressure (or what passes for it) is not unfamiliar territory to Bowyer. Last year after a dismal run when questioning of Bowyer began to surface in increased volume, Rovers turned things round with a fantastic 2-1 home win against Leeds which put the breaks on the growing discontent among Rovers supporters. In the return fixture at Elland Road Rovers managed a comfortable 3-0 win - although 2 of the scorers that day Spearing and Cairney are no longer at the club. Bowyer really needs more of the same this time round after a loss to the dingles and a generally crap start.

The year before, was my first and only visit to Elland Road for a very exciting 3-3 draw between the two teams in which Rovers contrived to both throw away dominating a match and in no danger of losing and then get something from nothing thanks to a cheeky back heel from Rochina. It was a certain Jordan Rhodes debut for Rovers and the only other player who is still with us and started that day, was Marcus Olsson (who scored a good goal). Both Lowe and Hanley came on as substitutes which along with only 2 of the 11 still being with us, shows how much times have changed.

Based on living in Leeds and having been to the ground the only helpful hints I can give fellow Rovers fans are as follows:

1. You can walk it from the train station to the ground, it's not far. Do it with other people though as south Leeds makes Mordor look like a holiday camp.

2. Traffic in Leeds is appalling. Words cannot describe how frustrating a city it is to drive through. Thankfully the ground is near the motorway - just off it in fact - but even so factor in more time for getting there, because trying to get into any part of Leeds of an evening is horrendous.

3. The view from the away seats is pretty decent, even if the ticket prices are extortionate.

4. Because of the extortionate ticket prices Elland Road will not be full. Why they charge such prices is beyond me as they could easily fill the ground such is the amount of support within the city itself.

Finally a prediction. I reckon Garry Houdini will magic a win to relieve the genuine pressure on him and see him safe in the job, at least for another trillion years. Leeds will still be adjusting to Evans' style, and we also contrived to miss our entire quota of sitters for the season on Saturday. I fully expect Rhodes, Apkan and Taylor to all smash the ball into the back of the net as Rovers run out 3-1 winners.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Ahem, a slightly jaded look at the fixture, but I do wonder why it's on Sky as neither team has set the Championship on fire this season. The main talking points have been how Leeds have got through another manager - that's 5 in the last 12 months - and how, for Rovers, despite only having 2 wins from 13 this season, we're somehow out of the relegation zone.

When I look at the Sky info listing for Thursday I get the feeling they don't quite have their finger on the pulse:

"Both teams are in need of a win in order to propel themselves towards a play-off spot in the table."

Errrr, ok. The teams in 17 and 18th, 2 and 3 points above the relegation zone are really focused on that last play-off spot 10+ points away.

We've had a decent record at Leeds in recent seasons, so something to cling onto there perhaps. However I feel like this could be a similar scenario to last time we lost to Burnley, the following game was a dire performance against Bournemouth and a 1 nil defeat.

It's a matter of time before those decent performances in defeat become poor poerformances because the players have lost their way. I can't see GB turning this one around. It doesn't get any easier afterwards against a resurging Birmingham side under their talented manager.

I'll go 2-1 Leeds, with that Antenucci chap to bag 1 and Chris Woods to get the other for them. Rhodes (who else?) to get our goal.

Good post Blue Blood, a good read.

Just a comment on the logistics - it is walkable from the station, but it's at least as far as Ewood is from Blackburn station, I'd guess a bit further. For folk who haven't been before, there are 'football special' buses that run from near the station directly to the ground (and will bring you back after the game). Might be worth the investment. There are ordinary buses that go near the ground, but I've only used those for daytime games so can't comment if they're a good option for evening games.

We've had a decent record at Leeds in recent seasons, so something to cling onto there perhaps. However I feel like this could be a similar scenario to last time we lost to Burnley, the following game was a dire performance against Bournemouth and a 1 nil defeat.

It's a matter of time before those decent performances in defeat become poor poerformances because the players have lost their way. I can't see GB turning this one around. It doesn't get any easier afterwards against a resurging Birmingham side under their talented manager.

I'll go 2-1 Leeds, with that Antenucci chap to bag 1 and Chris Woods to get the other for them. Rhodes (who else?) to get our goal.

Oh god. The worst performace in footballing history.....untl there were two or threee even more worse.....

We always beat Leeds these days. 1-2.

Fantastic preview.

I've never seen us beat Leeds at Elland Rd in the flesh, though I did see Shearer score a hatrick and Dino Baggio score.

Having won our last few there, I predict 1-1.

Brian Deane for them and Dino Baggio for us.

Edit. I have seen Rovers win at Leeds. 3-1 and I think Gresko broke his leg.

We've had an excellent record at Elland Road since we came down in 2012 (2 wins and 1 draw) and scored about 8 goals in the process.

Anything less than a win here and we are in serious trouble. Leeds are one of the few teams that i still have some confidence we can finish above this season.

Then their abysmal home record. They haven't won at home for more than 7 months and 12 games. What odds on us being the first ones to break that record?

We all know what happens next. Evans will be desperate to get off to a winning start at home and endear himself to the home supporters, and with soft touch Rovers turning up they won't get a better opportunity than on Thursday night.

Our away form is my biggest concern of all, as i think we are sufficiently strong at Ewood to keep picking up wins/draws. However away from home we are weak. We concede at an alarming rate, seem to manage to find ways to lose/draw when we should be winning (Fulham, Brighton, QPR), fail to capitalise when we are on top. We aren't ruthless or clinical enough and very rarely are ahead in games. We need to find a radically different approach to our away games, because if things continue as they are then we are going to be heavily dependent on winning our home games to survive.

I'm not holding my breath, but expect a draw at Leeds which will be hailed as a wonderful result considering it is mighty Leeds at Elland Road and they have a new manager in place.

• Backroom

A good read, cheers.

Based on the fact we usually do well at Leeds and they haven't won at home in a while, we'll likely lose, 2-1 or 1-0. Rhodes scoring if we get one, as he's the only one who can.

Can see it now.

Evans' first home game, Leeds not won at home all season. Big atmosphere.

Rovers will roll over and get their bellies tickled.

Bowyer hardly ever loses 3 on the bounce.

Ah but thanks to the fantastic 0-0 against Derby then even if we lose to Leeds it won't be three defeats on the bounce!

Our record whilst infront of the TV cameras these last few seasons has also been woeful. I'm trying to think of the last time we played well/won whilst on tv. There were the cup games against Liverpool last season where we did well defensively but ultimately lost, the game against Bolton this season was dire, last season we were on TV early doors against Cardiff when we drew 1-1.

What I would give for a 'complete' performance on Thursday. Go to Leeds, exploit their obvious home weaknesses as everyone else has done, beat them whilst their friends at Sky Sports are watching and put the disappointment of this last week to one side going into a winnable set of fixtures against Birmingham, Brentford and Preston.

Its worth noting that despite their poor run at home Leeds have rarely been flattened in games, often losing late on or by one goal. I'd like us to go and win 1-0, keep a clean sheet for a change and do a professional job for 95 minutes of being calm and defensively resolute. I'm not confident we'll get that, because somehow we always manage to find a way of conceding or giving the home side the advantage in games, which explains why we can't win away from home.

• Moderation Lead

Fantastic preview.

I've never seen us beat Leeds at Elland Rd in the flesh, though I did see Shearer score a hatrick and Dino Baggio score.

They still got Tony Dorigo? Proper player.

Fantastic preview.

I sat in the Leeds end last season when we won 3-0.

I was sat next to a very unhappy bro-in-law and niece :-))

We were being battered by Leeds until they had a stupid sending off.

A grand day out.

Finding it really difficult to muster up the energy/enthusiasm to care about this one.

We lost the derby, we are going nowhere fast, and all a win really serves to do is keep Bowyer saying all is rosy and give a bit of daylight between us and the relegation zone.

Expectations have been numbed down so much that I find a win that takes us to 15 points from 14 doesn't fill me with any sort of excitement.

The worrying thing for me is that the goals have dried up; it's 3 3/4 games since we last scored. :angry:

I'll totally miss this; quite apart from anything else, one of my friends is getting married on Thursday and, for some reason, there won't be a big screen behind the top table tuned into Sky Sports! :(

Archived