BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Increase In Attendances

damo100

I was disapointed with the attendance yesterday, i think the awful weather and xmas coming soon were factors, however i felt after all the positivity from Rover's fans since PL's appointment, we would see increase (2-3000) how wrong was i!!

And before anyone mentions me moaning or being negative, i am not, i feel the club have just done an outstanding piece of business, it looks like we will be out of the embargo, the future looks so much more positive, I feel it's time the fans started to back the club now, we need you!

What do fellow fans think?​

I was surprised to see only 15k on with over 3k from Sheffield, especially after the Preston win and general optimism around the Lambert appointment.

But as SG says, some of the hurt thats been inflicted on the fans over the past 5yrs isn't going to go away over night, but success on the pitch will always bring fans back, and thats what the club should be aiming for.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made the return to Ewood yesterday, not been for 12 months although have been to quite a few away games in that period.

I enjoyed being 'home' I thought the atmosphere was vastly improved re negativity although still a bit quiet.

Hot water in bogs still cold?, but that's just me being picky. All in all enjoyed it again. I used to have 4 season tickets, can't see that happening again but will most definetly attend more games this season.

COYB

Another thing to factor in is the tine it takes to adjust schedules to get back into, or more likely more into, football. Bowyer was sacked out of nowhere and so many people may have already committed to work, family events etc. Not expecting things to change.

That was certainly the case with me having committed to work this weekend. Had I been free I'd definitely have gone. I imagine others could have been in similar situations.

Expected a slight increase but in all honesty it's going to take an awful lot of work to undo the wrongs of the last five years.. If Saturday taught us anything is it isn't going to happen over night and if we get the embargo lifted maybe just maybe we can make a play off push in all honesty it'll probably be next season when we really go for promotion as this sort of decision should of been made in the summer

The problem is that we lost so many fans is one go in 2012.

Of course, after relegation you will lose fans, that's a given, but we lost additional support due to the Kean debacle that had no end in sight.

The 12000 or so regulars of the last 3 years would have been 14000/15000, so we are now working from a decimated base. And as Tyrone has said, a lot of those fans have gone for good.

• Moderation Lead

Manager or no manager, Venkys or no Venkys; it still boils down to what league it is and who we are playing.

Fundamentally, this is what it comes down to, you're right Joe.

Last season when we played Liverpool away in the cup, I couldn't believe the audacity of people complaining that season ticket holders got priority for that game, unbelievable.

I just think there is something wrong when one week we are taking a 5,500 sell out to an away game at £25 a ticket plus travel costs, then the next we aren't even managing 13,000 on a home game at £22 a ticket despite winning the previous week and despite the feel good factor of the last 2 weeks and new manager effect.

It just doesn't seem to add up to me.

No doubt if our allocation had enabled it we would have shifted another few thousand at Preston given it was sold out a week before the game.

I understand what some people are saying about it being a slow process of bringing people back, but as someone else said, I would have liked the fans to have sent a big message of approval to Venkys for their recent decision making by turning up in their numbers and giving a big thumbs up to the Lambert appointment. Unfortunately we didn't get that, and no doubt some at Venkys are now wondering why after giving people what they wanted yet the numbers were barely any different to the usual under Bowyer.

Rovers fans have always been a fickle lot JHR. It took a fair while to build up our base support when we initially got promoted into the Premier League. In that first season, when the likes of Newcastle and Leeds came to town, they packed the Darwen End and the attendances were only 20k meaning around 14/15k home fans which, to be honest, was a poor do. Any other club would have built a fence down the middle of the Darwen End and given our fans an extra two or three thousand tickets but , at that time, the demand wasn't there.

I just think there is something wrong when one week we are taking a 5,500 sell out to an away game at £25 a ticket plus travel costs, then the next we aren't even managing 13,000 on a home game at £22 a ticket despite winning the previous week and despite the feel good factor of the last 2 weeks and new manager effect.

It just doesn't seem to add up to me.

No doubt if our allocation had enabled it we would have shifted another few thousand at Preston given it was sold out a week before the game.

I understand what some people are saying about it being a slow process of bringing people back, but as someone else said, I would have liked the fans to have sent a big message of approval to Venkys for their recent decision making by turning up in their numbers and giving a big thumbs up to the Lambert appointment. Unfortunately we didn't get that, and no doubt some at Venkys are now wondering why after giving people what they wanted yet the numbers were barely any different to the usual under Bowyer.

Great post JHR. agree entirely. I wasn't expecting a Liverpool style sell out but I was expecting Lambert's arrival to generate enough interest to see a modest increase to c15k home fans for the first match.

Was speaking to someone last night who was speaking to someone else who had vowed not to go again until GB left and this chap apparently went on Saturday. The chap you went said that the only thing he could think of was that the abysmal weather put people off.

" I'm Rovers 'til I die" ***

*** (Unless the weather's bad.)

£27 behind the goals which can't be classed as cheap particularly at this time of year plus the weather being a bigger nightmare than usual probably kept the gate down a thousand or so. Still wouldn't have been as big as expected though so it seems some creative thinking may be needed.

£27 behind the goals which can't be classed as cheap particularly at this time of year plus the weather being a bigger nightmare than usually probably kept the gate down a thousand or so. Still wouldn't have been as big as expected though so it seems some creative thinking may be needed.

We all hope half STs sell well, though they don't kick in till Boxing Day. However, as I've mentioned before we have two night matches in the run up to Christmas (one live on Sky).

Surely it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to do say 'Two matches for £20' or some such? Obviously won't happen now, so stand by for some pretty low crowds.

Despite facts about the support, it's worth mentioning the current staff employed to engage and sell tickets should be doing better.

I don't but Myers "devaluing" the product point because any empty seat watches the game for free.

JW was creative with game deals (albeit in a division playing United, Liverpool etc) especially during the "fortress Ewood" campaign, and we need even more creative minds to bring back people to those empty seats.

Working with schools more not just giving tickets, taking some of the load of organising it with them in terms of risk assessment, chaperones or transport etc will improve the atmosphere for a start.

Giving season ticket holders a discount when buying tickets for friends including incentives or a point scheme for getting a reduction on your own season ticket.

Offering home games free with away travel.

I'm not a marketing ideas man in anyway, so surely somebody within the club should be making a more considered effort to do these things.

Nice to see that video.

Hopefully those in charge of the club see things like that and realise the importance of the club, and continue to make improved decisions to safeguard its future.

• Backroom

I'd like to see the Rovers players do a SEEHEAR video for fans. 'Merry Christmas Everyone' in English and BSL.

Or perhaps do a mimed cover of a classic, like when the Belfast Giants did 'All I want for Christmas is you' ;)

Next two home games are December nights with the more attractive better supported opponents a televised game to boot.

So two 12,000 gates with more ST holders actually showing up but if we collect 7 points from 9 and roads are passable on Boxing Day, I will be very disappointed not to see a 20,000+ gate for Boro'.

Archived