BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lambert Leaving!

• Backroom

I'm not convinced Lambert would have made us significantly better on a typical Championship transfer budget - not in the same way McCarthy has at Ipswich, or Rowett at Birmingham. It seems like he wanted a far heftier investment from Venky's and perhaps with that he would have gotten us back into playoff contention. The fact is Venky's have only ever given a remotely sizable budget during our first season in the Championship, and much of that was squandered on some major jokers who are costing us money to this day despite being nowhere near the club.

I just don't understand Venky's thought process. I assume Lambert made it clear that he felt he needed a fair amount of money in the summer to rebuild and push forward - so why bother hiring him if that was never the plan? Why not just hire another Bowyer, or a lower league manager used to working on a small budget? This whole thing makes no sense. Venky's make no sense. It's genuinely like they are screwing the club over on purpose.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not convinced Lambert would have made us significantly better on a typical Championship transfer budget - not in the same way McCarthy has at Ipswich, or Rowett at Birmingham. It seems like he wanted a far heftier investment from Venky's and perhaps with that he would have gotten us back into playoff contention. The fact is Venky's have only ever given a remotely sizable budget during our first season in the Championship, and much of that was squandered on some major jokers who are costing us money to this day despite being nowhere near the club.

I just don't understand Venky's thought process. I assume Lambert made it clear that he felt he needed a fair amount of money in the summer to rebuild and push forward - so why bother hiring him if that was never the plan? Why not just hire another Bowyer, or a lower league manager used to working on a small budget? This whole thing makes no sense. Venky's make no sense. It's genuinely like they are screwing the club over on purpose.

Exactly. So why not simply keep Bowyer in charge?

For me, nothing about the Venky's, or the decisions taken, have ever made any sense. Right from the word go.

The suspicious thing for me is the so called get out clause. Was it real or was he only ever on a short term deal with a view to getting it extended ?

With a two and a half year contract if you get sacked, get yourself sacked or agree mutual consent that's a hell of a lot of money. Not many would choose to just walk away like that especially given Venkys rep for paying people off. I think the plan was only ever for them to 'have a look' at each other and see how it goes with a view to hopefully kicking on. Hence he's frustrated but there is certainly no bitterness as there would be if he'd been totally hoodwinked.

From their side of it I definitely think he's been used to oversee the Rhodes exit with as little damage as possible, I certainly think that was on their minds as well.

I agree with all of that apart from the last part re. Rhodes.

I think if Venkys wanted to cash in on Rhodes they could easily have done it with Bowyer in charge. Infact it was their refusal to allow it that stopped the deal happening last summer. Rhodes was always a strange one really. If they sold Cairney to pay the bills then why not sell Rhodes last summer when he wanted to go?

If there was a plan when appointing Lambert to cash in on Rhodes that was entirely dependent on a club being prepared to pay £8 million plus and take on his huge wages, and no Premier League club was going to do it.

I believe that selling Rhodes was purely a decision made by Lambert with a view to strengthening the team and it worked with bringing in Danny Graham who has done very well. Lambert had clearly earmarked the £9-11 million as a big chunk of the money he needed in the summer, but now doesn't seem to be getting any of it.

As for Lambert, this spell hasn't really done him any major harm. He's likely to leave here with a 30 odd percent win record which is average, he's got his name back in the limelight and nobody will blame him for not being able to work for these clowns.

I just don't understand Venky's thought process. I assume Lambert made it clear that he felt he needed a fair amount of money in the summer to rebuild and push forward - so why bother hiring him if that was never the plan?

Read Scotty's post #547 - Just about sums up the position for me as to what happened from when he was appointed to the events of yesterday.

I keep going back and fourth about Lambert but having read the LT article... Who can blame him? He'll probably find work again at some point and it's probably best for his career that he leave now because he can see the @#/? storm thats coming with these owners in charge. He mustn't have realised just how bad they actually are.

• Backroom

Read Scotty's post #547 - Just about sums up the position for me as to what happened from when he was appointed to the events of yesterday.

I read it but it doesn't answer the question of why Venky's would suddenly decide to change strategy, after years of cost cutting and downgrading, then literally two months later go back to the original plan. The only part that makes some sense is that they didn't want to entrust Lambert with a lot of money after poor performances - but they certainly gave Steve Kean enough. As oojw says, they've made no sense from the beginning and are continuing in that fashion.

I think one of the worst parts of all this is that with each passing day it becomes more and more likely that we will be seeing Chris Brown, Lee Williamson, Simeon Jackson and Nathan Delfouneso in Rovers shirts again next season. They will end up being given contract extensions by default because we will have no manager and no budget to sign new players.

Scary.

I think one of the worst parts of all this is that with each passing day it becomes more and more likely that we will be seeing Chris Brown, Lee Williamson, Simeon Jackson and Nathan Delfouneso in Rovers shirts again next season. They will end up being given contract extensions by default because we will have no manager and no budget to sign new players.

Scary.

Solid Lg 2 players the lot of 'em. Get them signed. Plan for the future.

I agree with all of that apart from the last part re. Rhodes.

I think if Venkys wanted to cash in on Rhodes they could easily have done it with Bowyer in charge. Infact it was their refusal to allow it that stopped the deal happening last summer. Rhodes was always a strange one really. If they sold Cairney to pay the bills then why not sell Rhodes last summer when he wanted to go?

If there was a plan when appointing Lambert to cash in on Rhodes that was entirely dependent on a club being prepared to pay £8 million plus and take on his huge wages, and no Premier League club was going to do it.

I believe that selling Rhodes was purely a decision made by Lambert with a view to strengthening the team and it worked with bringing in Danny Graham who has done very well. Lambert had clearly earmarked the £9-11 million as a big chunk of the money he needed in the summer, but now doesn't seem to be getting any of it.

As for Lambert, this spell hasn't really done him any major harm. He's likely to leave here with a 30 odd percent win record which is average, he's got his name back in the limelight and nobody will blame him for not being able to work for these clowns.

In his interview he said about losing Rhodes 'because of the money' so maybe he was happy to push it through but I think he knew it needed doing from above. Don't forget those trying to sell Rhodes in the past were still at the club so I just think it greased the wheels all around and made it convenient for everyone.

If Boro had coughed up last time they'd have got him it's only because the V's wanted unrealistic money for him that he didn't go, nothing else. This time around they've had a strong guy to oversee it with a replacement lined up instead of a ditherer like Bowyer but he'd have gone under Gaz if the money was right. I think there was a touch of desperation to cash in and a final realisation that they'd never get what they wanted.

The problem of course was Lambo thinking he'd get that cash whilst I'm saying they never had any intention of giving it to him. Would he have been so keen to let him go if he'd known this ? Not so sure I think he'd have liked a pairing of Rhodes & Graham plus others but it wasn't going to happen so he helped get JR out the building for them, as well as himself.

Best case scenario as things stand...

Venky's tell Lambert that if he takes the job he'll have money to spend in the Summer.

Venky's expected better results from Lambert and have second thoughts about his ability to take us forward.

Lambert has one eye on the Celtic job.

Venky's don't want to give him money with poor results and thinking he may leave.

Lambert speaks out which Venky's don't like.

They didn't want to compensate him so left it at that in the hope he'd resign.

Lambert resigns and eventually leaves.

Venky's employ another manager.

Lambert goes to Celtic.

Venky's give the new manager £6m £20m to spend.

Trying to being delusional optimistic.

The sad thing is, even if the above fantasy did come true we'll still end up getting a terrible manager, or even if we strike it lucky with a manager Venky's will screw up in some way.

I keep going back and fourth about Lambert but having read the LT article... Who can blame him? He'll probably find work again at some point and it's probably best for his career that he leave now because he can see the @#/? storm thats coming with these owners in charge. He mustn't have realised just how bad they actually are.

You can forgive Lambert for not knowing how bad things actually are, hence the release clause safety net.

What you can't forgive is the fans not knowing how bad it is, making excuses up, Lambert was crap anyway, it's just mind blowing.

If they caught Balaji f*****g their girlfriends they'd make him a brew and tell him to take his time, no rush big man.....

Best case scenario as things stand...

Venky's tell Lambert that if he takes the job he'll have money to spend in the Summer.

Venky's expected better results from Lambert and have second thoughts about his ability to take us forward.

Lambert has one eye on the Celtic job.

Venky's don't want to give him money with poor results and thinking he may leave.

Lambert speaks out which Venky's don't like.

They didn't want to compensate him so left it at that in the hope he'd resign.

Lambert resigns and eventually leaves.

Venky's employ another manager.

Lambert goes to Celtic.

Venky's give the new manager £6m £20m to spend.

Trying to being delusional optimistic.

The sad thing is, even if the above fantasy did come true we'll still end up getting a terrible manager, or even if we strike it lucky with a manager Venky's will screw up in some way.

Can I add to the bottom of your list

Venkies have run out of cash

Venkies bank won't sanction any more mortgages against land

Balaji has trousered the Rhodes money never to be seen again

Venkies confused as to why a manager can't manage the whole business

Venkies lap dogs on this site also confused why the supporters are up in arms

The interesting thing now is that Venkys HAVE to do something. We don't have a board or manager so they can't just sit back and do nothing, they have to take some action. Hopefully it's the action of not wanting the hassle and putting the club up for sale.

Personally, I'm not too concerned who the new manager is, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. New owners are needed before we move forward. Until then, we'll be lucky to cling onto championship status. Looking an absolute mess.

In his interview he said about losing Rhodes 'because of the money' so maybe he was happy to push it through but I think he knew it needed doing from above. Don't forget those trying to sell Rhodes in the past were still at the club so I just think it greased the wheels all around and made it convenient for everyone.

If Boro had coughed up last time they'd have got him it's only because the V's wanted unrealistic money for him that he didn't go, nothing else. This time around they've had a strong guy to oversee it with a replacement lined up instead of a ditherer like Bowyer but he'd have gone under Gaz if the money was right. I think there was a touch of desperation to cash in and a final realisation that they'd never get what they wanted.

The problem of course was Lambo thinking he'd get that cash whilst I'm saying they never had any intention of giving it to him. Would he have been so keen to let him go if he'd known this ? Not so sure I think he'd have liked a pairing of Rhodes & Graham plus others but it wasn't going to happen so he helped get JR out the building for them, as well as himself.

To be fair Tomphill you have been bang on the money for ages voicing your financial concerns and suspicions. I am annoyed I let them dupe me again as I genuinely thought we were at last moving in the right direction. Which has made the recent news all the more frustrating.

Depends when the next family get together to discuss the club is, my money is end of May so nowt will happen till then. Unless of course they are on hols or have a festival to attend so make that July.

To be fair Tomphill you have been bang on the money for ages voicing your financial concerns and suspicions. I am annoyed I let them dupe me again as I genuinely thought we were at last moving in the right direction. Which has made the recent news all the more frustrating.

Cheers.

It was just that the whole Lambo appointment went against the grain of everything else they'd ever done and I firmly believed it was a last roll of the dice from the off really. No crystal ball or in the know but I just knew it would come to this because THIS is going with the grain from them.

Can't blame anyone for thinking a corner had been turned though because it looked that way from the outside. Thing is one way or another, good intentions or bad, they ARE con artists and this is how con artists work or as Stuart said the other day they are winging it, just ducking and diving from one day to the next.

The interesting thing now is that Venkys HAVE to do something. We don't have a board or manager so they can't just sit back and do nothing, they have to take some action. Hopefully it's the action of not wanting the hassle and putting the club up for sale.

Personally, I'm not too concerned who the new manager is, I don't think it makes a lot of difference. New owners are needed before we move forward. Until then, we'll be lucky to cling onto championship status. Looking an absolute mess.

You would think they will have to act. That doesn't mean they will.

I expect that this circus will continue for weeks upon weeks. If we hear any concrete news about appointments before June I'll be surprised.

They seem to enjoy putting the club on the back foot in every area of operation. Staff, management, tickets, merchandise, sponsors, transfers - all last minute. Our rivals are already busy away, sorting budgets, lining up transfer targets, negotiating new contracts etc.

I suppose its a blessing that Lambert has already lined up pre-season because if not I don't know who would be sorting that out either.

My prediction is Irvine will end up manager by default. As the most senior remaining staff member he will be told to look after the team until further notice, before they eventually change his job title to manager rather than assistant manager.

Still can't help feel he knew exactly what he was getting into. I'm not doubting that things may have changed but who in their right mind can see the owners throwing more money? Equally, what did he tell them he could achieve this season?

He also surely knows that leaving when he made the decision (weeks ago) would've put us in a better position to replace him with time left for the new man to see the squad.

After everything we've been through, would anybody be suprised if they've forced him out due to results? I'm not saying that it would be the right decision as any manager deserves lots more time to shape his squad - but it wouldn't be suprising if they'd made the call when promotion was unattainable.

I'm not looking forward to standing on the ground with him on the touch line in any case. If you're going- it just doesn't make sense.

Genuine question, Joe. What do you want for Rovers (next season and beyond) and how does this differ from what Lambert wanted?

Archived