BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Next Manager?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Typical bloody England.

Southgate's meddling ultimately put paid tomthe result. I'm not a fan at all but we need to look beyond that late equaliser and ask has he earned it.

Personally I don't think he's up to it but then I'm not sure who the other potential candidates are.

Disappointing end to the evening. Bit of a meh.

Let's be brutally honest other than being game to step in for a few games as caretaker he should be nowhere near the job. I'd say the same if they won 4 nil tonight.

Southgate should be an ambassador or something for the England set up with his intelligence and nice guy demeanour but as a gaffer he's proven more inept than Stuart Pearce etc wherever he's been.

Like at Rovers we'll never get the right guy because those picking him are beyond clueless and put other agendas first.

FA OUT.

I would appoint Southgate.

Howe and Pardew dont want it. Both said its too early in the career.

Pardew is 55.

If it's too early for Pardew, an experienced guy who knows his football, then its way too early for a complete novice, 9 years younger.

That said, none of the three inspire me.

I don't see where we find a decent manager. Most of them want to work in club football. It's more lucrative, more hands on, more everything. International management is a whole different game which is why some fairly decent managers can't do it, and some who'd never make club managers can.Southgate will probably get it because there really isn't any other English manager who'd do it who is any better. He may find his style and a decent way of doing things. O'Neill at NI took a lot of games to get going but look at them now punching well above their weight. Southgate might surprise us. He might not but then, for an England manager, that's nothing new.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear and the premiership is full of English sows.

If we could have any manager in the world he'd not get the current crop winning tournaments, the players aren't good enough.

So by that token it doesn't matter who gets the job, give me Southgate any day over the bung brigade.

I've no problem if the new policy from the FA is to give an opportunity to a young highly thought of manager and give him time to build something over 4-8 years. Spain have just appointed someone similar who has spent almost his whole career working in the Spanish FA with the Under 21s and Under 19s apart from a brief spell with Porto.

However, I don't think this is what we're seeing here. Southgate isn't going to get the job because he has an excellent CV as a coach or because anyone seriously expects him to become a world class manager in time. He's going to get the job because he's in the right place at the right time, won't rock the boat or upset anyone, knows the 'FA system' and will be much more pliable than someone like Allardyce or Capello. Plus there are a lack of top drawer English managers available at the moment so he can get it by default.

There is now a lack of appetite to go for an external candidate after the most recent disaster so it makes perfect sense to them to hand it to Southgate. If it all goes wrong then they can say at least they tried to give a chance to a younger manager.

The reality is that I wouldn't want or have confidence in Southgate as manager of Rovers, so for him to be getting what used to be the top job in English football doesn't add up to me.

Apparently their 'top target' was Arsene Wenger, who isn't interested in the job at this point. What kind of managerial search goes from Wenger as top target (late 60's, world class manager, foreign) to Southgate next on the list (mid 40's, English of huge importance, failed in his only proper managerial job so far with Middlesbrough). They are puddled.

I quite like Southgate, I think he's intelligent and conducts himself well and I wish him the best, but English football really has gone to the dogs.

I've no problem if the new policy from the FA is to give an opportunity to a young highly thought of manager and give him time to build something over 4-8 years. Spain have just appointed someone similar who has spent almost his whole career working in the Spanish FA with the Under 21s and Under 19s apart from a brief spell with Porto.

However, I don't think this is what we're seeing here. Southgate isn't going to get the job because he has an excellent CV as a coach or because anyone seriously expects him to become a world class manager in time. He's going to get the job because he's in the right place at the right time, won't rock the boat or upset anyone, knows the 'FA system' and will be much more pliable than someone like Allardyce or Capello. Plus there are a lack of top drawer English managers available at the moment so he can get it by default.

There is now a lack of appetite to go for an external candidate after the most recent disaster so it makes perfect sense to them to hand it to Southgate. If it all goes wrong then they can say at least they tried to give a chance to a younger manager.

The reality is that I wouldn't want or have confidence in Southgate as manager of Rovers, so for him to be getting what used to be the top job in English football doesn't add up to me.

Apparently their 'top target' was Arsene Wenger, who isn't interested in the job at this point. What kind of managerial search goes from Wenger as top target (late 60's, world class manager, foreign) to Southgate next on the list (mid 40's, English of huge importance, failed in his only proper managerial job so far with Middlesbrough). They are puddled.

I quite like Southgate, I think he's intelligent and conducts himself well and I wish him the best, but English football really has gone to the dogs.

Invariably the FA like safe appointments and Southgate would fit their model. Having been embarrassed by Allardyce they will insist on a squeaky clean man irrespective of ability, somebody like Brooking who has eked a living out of the FA pretty much because he is a nice man.

The FA are not fit for purpose and the dinosaurs who yield the power should be put out to pasture and get some proper football people in.

I believe the FA have wanted to appoint Southgate for years as he's the perfect 'yes man' but they knew full well the backlash they'd get. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the FA were warned of the Telegraph leak and didn't try to stop it in order to engineer a move for squeaky clean Southgate.

Pardew is 55.

If it's too early for Pardew, an experienced guy who knows his football, then its way too early for a complete novice, 9 years younger.

That said, none of the three inspire me.

Not that I'm a big fan of the national team anymore, but if Pardew was appointed manager I would be extremely disappointed and underwhelmed. I'd actually prefer wet lettuce Southgate.

It's a sad indictment of the state of our game that these names are even being mentioned.

It's Southgate's job. The FA don't want to spend any time trying to recruit another manager. This is the easy option.

Although I'm ever hopeful of England I feel that the current crop of players aren't good enough. None are top men at club level.

If the best players aren't playing for the best teams every week they aren't up to it. Hart couldn't get a game at City. Cahill is one mistake away from being dropped at Chelsea. Captain Rooney's a Man U sub who's legs have gone, and Sturridge is way down the pecking order at Liverpool. That's the spine of the team. We are good enough on the flanks. Decent full backs and reserves on both sides, as well as some decent wingers for a change, but are way below par through the middle.

There is some hope if Dier, Alli, and Kane fulfill their potential.

I am frustrated under the current set up of the FA. I believe their is the ability to have a good solid England team that could make the QF minimum. The one issue with England right now is that we do not have 1 world class player, and when I read that the FA never once called Gareth Bale for the chance to even train for the under 21 I am left lost for words. Bale could have been the missing link and I truly think we would have a solid team. I think the defensive issue could be solved in the future with the likes of Stones, Holding, Chambers, and a few other one defenders coming through.

But for me the squad should pick itself.

Sturridge, Kane, Vardy, Rooney, Rashford.

Lallana, Sterling, Dier, Henderson, WIlshere, Ali, Lingard, Drinkwater

Walker, Rose, Clyne, Shaw, Stones, Smalling, Cahill, Antonio, Holding/Chambers

Forster, Hart, Pickford

I think we need to stick to youth get them a chance to merge together and actually develop into a team as we tend to chop and change too much we need to give our youth a chance and build towards a tournament playing a system the same way over 2 to 4 years.

Archived