BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

On Marshall, if Wolves really are offering 1.3 my then that's about 1.1m more than what he's worth imo even without taking into account his contract situation. Whilst I'm normally all for trying to maximise our fee if a player leaves we could lose out in this instance by being stubborn.

As for the Academy lads we definitely don't give them enough of a chance imo.

Off the top of my head there's Josh Morris who can't stop scoring for Scunthorpe, Jordan Slew who seems to be doing OK for Plymouth and the lad who scored loads of goals for Reading in the Championship last season. None of them could get a kick here but are they really any worse than the showers of "experienced" ***** we've brought in recently like DJ Campbell, Verney, Brown, Delfouneso etc?

Same applies to Wharton. He'll probably turn out to be a perfectly decent enough player but will probably never see the light of day here due to a raft of poorish players being signed ahead of him.

You mean Blackman ? What ever happened to O'Connell who we let go to Brentford ?

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean Blackman ? What ever happened to O'Connell who we let go to Brentford ?

Blackman that's the guy. His name escaped me. Not sure what happened to O Connell but at the time whilst he was not deemed good enough to get a kick for us Rochdale thought well enough of him to make him captain didn't they?

To be honest, I would be all for giving players like this a go, which is what used to happen, in the seventies and Eighties. I know he didn't come from the lower leagues, but Hendry, is an example and I think ,we may have signed Chris Price from Hereford, who did very well for us. Another more recent success for us was Lucas Neal from Milwall.

Will we be able to fight and win the battle for his signature though, if we have Burton and Milwall in for him too?

To be honest, I would be all for giving players like this a go, which is what used to happen, in the seventies and Eighties. I know he didn't come from the lower leagues, but Hendry, is an example and I think ,we may have signed Chris Price from Hereford, who did very well for us. Another more recent success for us was Lucas Neal from Milwall.

Will we be able to fight and win the battle for his signature though, if we have Burton and Milwall in for him too?

...and Alan Wright from Blackpool.

Venky's thinking ahead, not only will be handy in L1 next season, but the following season he can drive the team mini bus as he knows where most of the L2 grounds will be

On Marshall, if Wolves really are offering 1.3 my then that's about 1.1m more than what he's worth imo even without taking into account his contract situation. Whilst I'm normally all for trying to maximise our fee if a player leaves we could lose out in this instance by being stubborn.

As for the Academy lads we definitely don't give them enough of a chance imo.

Off the top of my head there's Josh Morris who can't stop scoring for Scunthorpe, Jordan Slew who seems to be doing OK for Plymouth and the lad who scored loads of goals for Reading in the Championship last season. None of them could get a kick here but are they really any worse than the showers of "experienced" ***** we've brought in recently like DJ Campbell, Verney, Brown, Delfouneso etc?

Same applies to Wharton. He'll probably turn out to be a perfectly decent enough player but will probably never see the light of day here due to a raft of poorish players being signed ahead of him.

I agree in principle, but Slew wasn't from the academy. Bought under Kean's regime from Sheffield U for a million or so.

Any news on a new goalkeeper yet ?

no

Any links to Jason Lowes departure so he can go and ruin somebody elses team other than mine !

no

looking like it will be zero incoming at Rovers this window unless Marshall leaves.

I would not be surprise if Marshall leaves on the last day of the window and we have zero time to sign players. Pathetic!!!

I would not be surprise if Marshall leaves on the last day of the window and we have zero time to sign players. Pathetic!!!

Unfortunately I suspect that's been the 'plan' from those in power since the moment the summer window closed with Marshall still at the club. Not a surprise, completely expected and exactly what they've been working towards for months.

Only question is what day between tomorrow and next week he goes and if (big if) they release a few quid for a loan signing.

Sad but true. Why even have an academy if we're not going to use the better products? Might as well loan him out to Cambridge too and have done with it.

Thought Venkys said they wanted to make use of the academy more, or did they mean to use it more for their Chicken business?

One of the many problems we have is that the scouting is terrible, probably due to chronic under resource and managements refusal to accept that there is another way to run a club than what we have now. When was the last time we went and bought someone who didn't come in via a dodgy agents DVD or someone the manager had come across before. We should be scouting and picking players up from the lower leagues but would seemingly keep the Premier League gravy train going by loaning their rejects instead. It's pathetic.

Archived