BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Greer, oh well. Might as well sign Brown and add him to the old mans club.[/quote)

Not sure why so much negativity about Greer. Played plenty of games last season and was Club Captain. He will add some solidity to the back line and help players like Duffy develop

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

El Bakhtaoui is signing for Dundee today it seems, my instinct was he would be worth a shot on low wages but oh well

Mine too. If we are signing Greer we have chosen the wrong trialist.

Cheers, I will keep my eye on him and hope we made the right decision.

Me too. Don't think we did.

Greer, oh well. Might as well sign Brown and add him to the old mans club.[/quote)

Not sure why so much negativity about Greer. Played plenty of games last season and was Club Captain. He will add some solidity to the back line and help players like Duffy develop

Have you seen him play? I have. Not good enough!

I am personally positive at a signing like Greer. I am sure he was not made captain by Chris Hughton the same way as Coyle made Lowe the captain. He might not be significantly better than Hanley but frankly he cannot be significantly worse than Hanley the hothead who was only good last season. I am sure Coyle would have liked Hanley to stay but I would not blame him for wanting a move to Newcastle, just like I don't have a problem with Jordan Rhodes moving to Boro. Experience can be a huge advantage if used the right way. I don't think Hanley was worth 5.5 mil and we got good money for him. Shame that a part of it is NOT being re-invested in the team for strengthening other positions and adding depth to the squad.

I finally signed up for the Rovers Player and watched the Notts County game.

El Baktoui lad looked like our best player so I'm somewhat surprised to see him not be given a deal. Good touch, and a smart little player, pretty quick too.

Mahoney looked handy and Nyambe is going to be a right back at this level. O'Sullivan was very good too on the left wing.

Jack Byrne?

Promising but far too lightweight for defensive midfield.

I finally signed up for the Rovers Player and watched the Notts County game.

El Baktoui lad looked like our best player so I'm somewhat surprised to see him not be given a deal. Good touch, and a smart little player, pretty quick too.

Mahoney looked handy and Nyambe is going to be a right back at this level. O'Sullivan was very good too on the left wing.

I think we will regret letting El Baktoui go. We will see.

I am personally positive at a signing like Greer. I am sure he was not made captain by Chris Hughton the same way as Coyle made Lowe the captain. He might not be significantly better than Hanley but frankly he cannot be significantly worse than Hanley the hothead who was only good last season. I am sure Coyle would have liked Hanley to stay but I would not blame him for wanting a move to Newcastle, just like I don't have a problem with Jordan Rhodes moving to Boro. Experience can be a huge advantage if used the right way. I don't think Hanley was worth 5.5 mil and we got good money for him. Shame that a part of it is NOT being re-invested in the team for strengthening other positions and adding depth to the squad.

I have to say, I see this as a decent signing too. You are not completely past it at 35 at centre half and players like Kevin Moran and Tony Gayle, both proved to be good signings at similar ages, in the past.

The age of Greer I'm too concerned about but as a replacement for one of our better younger players... Not having that. That aside, Berg and Short were one of the best centre half partnerships we've had and they were no spring chickens and experience at the back can prove valuable. Reckon it will just be a stop gap until Wharton can make the step up... If he can.

Unfortunately Berg, Short and Moran had played their careers at a higher level that Greer, so when old Father Time started to take effect they dropped down a level and coped.

This is Greer's level anyway so there has to be a worry that any deterioration will see him struggle. Remember Henchoz's second spell.

Stil, we are struggling to find anyone cheap (free) so he's got to be worth a chance to bolster a wafer-thin squad.

Not to get all Keanochio, but I recall Gordon Greer being referred to as 'The new Alan Hansen' when signing first time round. Made me chuckle in light of recent managers liking for the 'New....' moniker. On upon looking into who said it, I came across the article below. Really just depressed myself reading Souness' quotes about our wonderful board of directors and how much of a pleasure they are to work with;

http://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/rovers-swoop-for-new-alan-hansen-1-108789

Greer is a smart signing. His experience and know how will be crucial this season.

Desperately need a few more in before Saturday. Very short on match winners.

Agreed on both points

I'd take Zamora on a free, thought he had some good games for Brighton last season.

no thanks

Far too slow except in an emergency Legs have gone completely. A desperation signing. Needs to bring his pension book. Sorry but just not good enough.

Why on Earth they let Kilgallon go to sign this guy I have no idea.

Not my view Al. Will bring Experience and leader and players like Wharton can learn a lot from him.

I think he a decent signing. and Yes I was at the Girona and Blackpool games

Various twitter accounts linking us with a loan move for Yaya Sanogo. Can believe that one.

I hope not. Poor Player

I'd take Zamora on a free, thought he had some good games for Brighton last season.

Definitely. He is a winner at this level. He's the new Kevin Phillips in terms his talisman-like presence at clubs. Probably couldn't afford his wages though.

Agreed on both points

no thanks

Not my view Al. Will bring Experience and leader and players like Wharton can learn a lot from him.

I think he a decent signing. and Yes I was at the Girona and Blackpool games

I hope not. Poor Player

Sanogo poor? He would be a Quality loan. Tall and got pace and why did a club like Arsenal sign him? Get him in!!

Archived