BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 9.30Pm Tonight - New Social Media Hashtag

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of them make me laugh with the holier than thou attitudes as if you look back in history Rovers fans deserted the club in thousands after they went down in 1965 and only really came back regularly in the Walker years. I'd presume that was people of all ages walking away just as now. No idea what was happening then but there was certainly no Venkys scenario.

I started going in the 80's as a kid and remember the usually tiny crowds yet Liverpool come in the cup the place was full, week after back to 4k. Shockingly bad and it makes me wonder where some of these super fans where then :blink:

It started in 1960 after the FA Cup debacle. The next season we lost 8,000 on average at home games.

We went down at the end of the 1965-66 season - and home attendance actually went up at least for a season!

Gradual decline followed as those of us using walking sticks know...until Jack

Some of us oldies have been warning of the dangers since the Raos arrived in town, while many of you younger ones were crying "I've just been outside and confirm the sky's not fallen in yet". Just before heading back to the transfer thread.

:)

The difference was the directors were sat in the directors box every match and got the abuse. The local paper was filled with letters telling the board to do something. Indeed, the Lancashire Evening Telegraph was leading the campaign to get rid of Iley. When local board members are facing that sort of campaign on a daily basis and it impacts on their own lives you have more chance of changing things. The Rao family are on the other side of the world and are immune to demonstrations in Blackburn.

Do Venkys still exist?

At least the oldies smashed the windows in on Nuttal Street. I can remember when we wanted rid of Saxton it was only when Bill Fox got the grief that he got rid.

Very true , I was there !

Also ,true about Iley but a bit young to demonstrate on Nuttall Street after yhe game....

Iley sold David Wagstaffe to Blackpool pre season, also couldnt sign Derek Spence after a sucessful loan period he choose Bury , I think !

Dark days but the fanbase stood together !

It started in 1960 after the FA Cup debacle. The next season we lost 8,000 on average at home games.

We went down at the end of the 1965-66 season - and home attendance actually went up at least for a season!

Gradual decline followed as those of us using walking sticks know...until Jack

Yes I remember hearing about the 1960 scandal as my mates dad who used to take us was always going on about it. This was twenty odd years after it so I gathered it was a big deal.

Got to get rid of these lot soon as or there'll be 4 thousand on Ewood in 25 years time talking about Venkys wrecking the club and the generations inbetween not bothering with it like back then :(

Yes I remember hearing about the 1960 scandal as my mates dad who used to take us was always going on about it. This was twenty odd years after it so I gathered it was a big deal.

Got to get rid of these lot soon as or there'll be 4 thousand on Ewood in 25 years time talking about Venkys wrecking the club and the generations inbetween not bothering with it like back then :(

My Dad and his mate got tickets to the Final and I got my Rovers blood from him.

An Uncle who lived most of his life in Kirby Road didnt and never set foot in Ewood again.

The Venkys must go so then at least there is hope for the future.

Hate is not an easy word to use or live with - but I do hate the Raos with a vengence and wish nothing but ill on the lot of them.

I take your point Tom but we never averaged 4k in the past.........could possibly do in future though!

Looking like he is going to do a follow up , he just tweeted

Thank you. Looking forward to writing again on this.Counting on you guys to provide me with the clear picture

Looking like he is going to do a follow up , he just tweeted

Thank you. Looking forward to writing again on this.Counting on you guys to provide me with the clear picture

Yep saw it, Glen M, Kamy and co, get onto this guy with info, he has contacts in the Indian media

Very true , I was there !

Also ,true about Iley but a bit young to demonstrate on Nuttall Street after yhe game....

Iley sold David Wagstaffe to Blackpool pre season, also couldnt sign Derek Spence after a sucessful loan period he choose Bury , I think !

Dark days but the fanbase stood together !

There was no way back for Iley after Waggy left - especially as he replaced him with John Aston, a guy whose main attribute was speed - which had long gone by the time he rocked up at Ewood. The striker you are thinking of was Dave Gregory - scored a few while on loan and then opted to drop down a division to play for Bury rather than Iley. I seem to remember that the club became embroiled in a spat with the LT because the new guy - was it David Allan, I can't remember - who'd started reporting on the Rovers was leading the campaign to get Iley out. I remember Bill Bancroft saying that he wouldn't be dictated to and that he would stick with Iley - until the pressure from the terraces persuaded him differently. There was, of course, no social media, just letters in the Telegraph and unrest on the terraces on matchdays. There was no organised campaign, just spontaneous demonstrations on matchdays after the game. A different time and a different world in so many ways.

But one thing in common PB---contempt for the fans on whom the club ultimately depends.

Fans who'd followed the Club for decades couldn't get their hands on a Cup Final ticket but others who had rarely if ever set foot on Ewood could and did.

Some fans never forgave the Club for that just as many fans will never forgive Venkys now.

Different times, different people but both right to take the stand they have.

One thing has been bothering me these past few days, and it boils down to what I have termed the 1960s brigade.

There are certain individuals on twitter who own blogs, who have been demeaning the boycotts, all because 'they have already been through all this in the 60s and 70s' and so there is no need to do it all again as it didn't help back then.

I was born in 1987, so all I have known are the Walker years and Venky years. The 60s was 60 years ago, Venkys are happening now. Your club is being destroyed now and you are happy to sit back because of memories and demean younger fans who want to do something about it.

I know people some boycotters have a go at people who don't boycott which is out of order, but it works both ways and the ugly truth is some of our older fans are just sitting and laughing whilst the club their grandchildren should be watching in the future burns to a crisp

I wouldn't worry too much about that sanctimonious moron and his dross blog. He's too busy engaging in dick measuring competitions to be taken notice of. Constantly lambasting others' opinions or ideas but brings a sum total of 0 to the table - except of course his terribly structured blog laden with perverse adjectives of those who disagree with him. No man can be taken seriously when he reads something on here and takes to twitter to voice his disagreement, usually including a snide insult if he can. A pompous fool if ever there was one. Your age doesn't demean your opinion whatsoever.

There was no way back for Iley after Waggy left - especially as he replaced him with John Aston, a guy whose main attribute was speed - which had long gone by the time he rocked up at Ewood. The striker you are thinking of was Dave Gregory - scored a few while on loan and then opted to drop down a division to play for Bury rather than Iley. I seem to remember that the club became embroiled in a spat with the LT because the new guy - was it David Allan, I can't remember - who'd started reporting on the Rovers was leading the campaign to get Iley out. I remember Bill Bancroft saying that he wouldn't be dictated to and that he would stick with Iley - until the pressure from the terraces persuaded him differently. There was, of course, no social media, just letters in the Telegraph and unrest on the terraces on matchdays. There was no organised campaign, just spontaneous demonstrations on matchdays after the game. A different time and a different world in so many ways.

It was Daid Allin who you are thinking of PB. After Alf Thornton left the LT he took the job and pretty much told it as it was. He upset lots of people with his blunt and forthright articles and match reports. I don't think he could have survived in the litigious world of today.

Perhaps those that are part of linkdin should check out Venks staff on there. There is one that is in something like corporate strategy, but based in California.

I'd do it but not part of that organisation.

There are many others on there working in India.

It was Daid Allin who you are thinking of PB. After Alf Thornton left the LT he took the job and pretty much told it as it was. He upset lots of people with his blunt and forthright articles and match reports. I don't think he could have survived in the litigious world of today.

That the guy - thanks arbitro. If I remember rightly he didn't last long at the LT covering the Rovers. Didn't he move onto more general reporting rather than sport? Seemed a good journalist at the time and, as you say, didn't mince his words or tip toe around an issue.

That the guy - thanks arbitro. If I remember rightly he didn't last long at the LT covering the Rovers. Didn't he move onto more general reporting rather than sport? Seemed a good journalist at the time and, as you say, didn't mince his words or tip toe around an issue.

I recall a conversation with some work colleagues and they said he had worked at ICI in Darwen so I assumed he was from the town. I think you are correct and I had seen his name attributed to more general sports articles in some of the nationals so perhaps he went freelance. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere that he had died but my memory isn't what it was so that may not be correct. I used to think of him when lots of journalists were pussyfooting around when Kean was strutting around and what he would have written about shysters like him and the Indians.

The sale of Wagstaffe was probably the biggest turning point. I think he also dropped Stuart Metcalfe and had a falling out there as well.

And we really cannot underestimate David Allin's one man crusade against Iley in the LET. I guess that is what the Manchester Evening News would have been doing , if City or Utd had the Venky's!

Archived