BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Burton Albion Game Thread.

No I'm annoyed with the performances this season and the standard being served up as a paying season ticket holder I have a right to be annoyed read it correctly..

Maybe I misinterpreted but it read as personal to me, but never mind lets just say that we interpreted the match differently. I didn't say we played well, just better than Burton. Not saying much really but at least if you were at the match you are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that at least.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stokes was garbage at Cardiff, Gallagher caused them all sorts of problems.

Byrne was invisible in the second half, the game was passing him by.

Coyle was right with both decisions, take your blinkers off.

I didn't see the Cardiff game. I am only judging Stokes by the games I have seen.

If you truly think that the change of Lenihan for Byrne was a good change then it's you needs to take the blinkers off. Dreadful decision, as was shown by their period of domination after said change.

I agree that Gallagher played well.

I don't understand this idea that we must be terrible because we only drew with Burton. They are no longer non league, and it is no longer 1995. Both clubs are in the 2nd tier because that is the level both sets of players are currently able to operate to.

Past glories count for nothing. It is a dreadful tragedy that we find ourselves in our present plight but on current form I expected us to lose yesterday. In the event we should have just about scraped a victory; the performance across the team was our most cohesive yet and for the first time we looked reasonably close to last season rather than our bewildering performances this season.

I dreaded going yesterday but I believe we can at least be competitive if we learn and develop. I predicted us to go down this year. Yesterday showed slight green shoots of recovery.

Baby steps I know, but I was cautiously optimistic after yesterday following our previous humiliating capitulations.

• Backroom

I too was surprised that Byrne was subbed. He was spreading the play to the wingers. I would have subbed Akpan who adds nothing.

Interestingly, Bowyer is the only manager who was able to get anything out of Akpan - and that was nothing special.

Our other Reading reject Guthrie continues to be a permanent fixture on the bench - is he STILL lacking fitness or is he just @#/?? Could be a combination of both I suppose.

I didn't see the Cardiff game. I am only judging Stokes by the games I have seen.

If you truly think that the change of Lenihan for Byrne was a good change then it's you needs to take the blinkers off. Dreadful decision, as was shown by their period of domination after said change.

I agree that Gallagher played well.

Byrne wasnt involved in the second half much. We need Lenihan on in there to provide a tackle but protect the centre backs. Burton were winning the midfield at that point.

AggyBlue is right on that point.

Byrne wasnt involved in the second half much. We need Lenihan on in there to provide a tackle but protect the centre backs. Burton were winning the midfield at that point.

And they dominated once Lenihan came on. The difference with having Byrne on the pitch is you had a boy who spread the play, added something else to going forward. Replacing tired Akpan legs for Lenihan made much more sense - them two in the middle don't work. Simple as that. And, as said, if he was right then they wouldn't have completely and utterly dominated the rest of the game after that change.

We'll agree to disagree though but I think the proof is in the pudding and I'd like to see the stats following the change.

• Backroom

Byrne was the only man wanting the ball, I said at the time it was a bizarre move and Burton went from strength to strength after that.

How you can say it's the right move when we didn't improve as a result of the sub is confusing to me.

I don't understand this idea that we must be terrible because we only drew with Burton. They are no longer non league, and it is no longer 1995. Both clubs are in the 2nd tier because that is the level both sets of players are currently able to operate to.

Past glories count for nothing. It is a dreadful tragedy that we find ourselves in our present plight but on current form I expected us to lose yesterday. In the event we should have just about scraped a victory; the performance across the team was our most cohesive yet and for the first time we looked reasonably close to last season rather than our bewildering performances this season.

I dreaded going yesterday but I believe we can at least be competitive if we learn and develop. I predicted us to go down this year. Yesterday showed slight green shoots of recovery.

Baby steps I know, but I was cautiously optimistic after yesterday following our previous humiliating capitulations.

It depends what you expect of Burton but I expect them to be in and around the bottom 3 come May. They didn't look a particularly good outfit and if we are only taking 1 point at home from them then I don't see much hope. Like all previous games, we allowed them time and space 30 yards from goal and, more worryingly, in our full back positions. Do that to Fulham next week and we will concede 3 . Again.

Apologies for not getting the party hats out because, after 3 successive pastings, we still concede 2 but manage to get a draw against relegation favourites Burton.

Byrne was the only man wanting the ball, I said at the time it was a bizarre move and Burton went from strength to strength after that.

How you can say it's the right move when we didn't improve as a result of the sub is confusing to me.

Didnt we conceded from a Corner?

Lenihan did win tackles in there.

Byrne was seeing much less of the ball and was having influence on the game. Tbh Tom that was clear from where I sit in the Blackburn End.

I think we are in total agreement Hasta. My point is that we are very poor, thus we drew against Burton. Some posters on this thread have expressed amazement that we only drew. These posters are looking down on Burton as though from olympian heights. We shouldn't hold such lofty views anymore sadly. Those days are gone for now.

I think we are in total agreement Hasta. My point is that we are very poor, thus we drew against Burton. Some posters on this thread have expressed amazement that we only drew. These posters are looking down on Burton as though from olympian heights. We should hold such lofty views anymore sadly. Those days are gone for now.

Except your opening line implied we aren't terrible. We are.

Didnt we conceded from a Corner?

Lenihan did win tackles in there.

Byrne was seeing much less of the ball and was having influence on the game. Tbh Tom that was clear from where I sit in the Blackburn End.

A corner won due to the sustained attack brought on by the lack of any quality in midfield. :blink:

And I am blinkered.

Except your opening line implied we aren't terrible. We are.

no we definitely still agree. It is a difficult distinction to make without having a real life conversation. I guess what it boils down to is that I expected us to lose before kick off. I am under no illusions. For some on here, failing to easily beat a team in our own league means we are terrible because those posters superiority complex from our glorious past clashes with the reality of our current status. My opening comment stands. We were terrible against Norwich and Wigan. We were serviceble against Burton. Both teams deserve to be in the division. The reality is that clubs we perceive as smaller than us are currently better than us. It hurts but it is a fact.

It depends what you expect of Burton but I expect them to be in and around the bottom 3 come May. They didn't look a particularly good outfit and if we are only taking 1 point at home from them then I don't see much hope. Like all previous games, we allowed them time and space 30 yards from goal and, more worryingly, in our full back positions. Do that to Fulham next week and we will concede 3 . Again.

Apologies for not getting the party hats out because, after 3 successive pastings, we still concede 2 but manage to get a draw against relegation favourites Burton.

Just to clarify, your prediction for Burton's season matches mine, hence why I would describe yesterday's' improvement as only slight.

I am certainly not looking through pre 2010 glasses.

The 2-1 lead was flattering us in my opinion and a draw was the least that Burton deserved.

Stokes was garbage at Cardiff, Gallagher caused them all sorts of problems.

Byrne was invisible in the second half, the game was passing him by.

Coyle was right with both decisions, take your blinkers off.

Bang on Aggy, we called the subs 5 mins before Coyle did them. Byrne looked like a 13 year old playing against men!

I'm not writing Byrne off, but he was a shadow of his performance against Norwich.

We are terrible because we've had any quality sucked from us by parasites. Anticipating any kind of recovery or optimism is going to bite you in the backside I'm sorry to say. I said it 5 years ago as we were going down and I'll keep saying it while it's obvious to my own eyes. It's getting worse.

The only thing worth anticipating is more humiliation, at least you can prepare for it. Anything else is setting yourself up for a fall.

We are terrible because we've had any quality sucked from us by parasites. Anticipating any kind of recovery or optimism is going to bite you in the backside I'm sorry to say. I said it 5 years ago as we were going down and I'll keep saying it while it's obvious to my own eyes. It's getting worse.

The only thing worth anticipating is more humiliation, at least you can prepare for it. Anything else is setting yourself up for a fall.

I agree with all that. My 'green shoots of recovery' comment relates specifically to the fact that we performed a bit more cohesively yesterday. Nothing more.

Of course it Isn't any kind of recovery in the real sense. We are doomed as things stand. I was trying to say that there is a slight chance that we can be competitive in this league rather than getting turned over every week. It is a narrow window of hope admittedly and we may stave off relegation in the short term but we are only going one way sadly.

Just had the pleasure of watching the full game on the Rovers Player.

Steele- better but could have arguably done a better job for both goals.

Lowe- best game so far, as in he didn't stick out like a sore thumb all game, far from convinced, but he didn't do anything really bad which is a blessing. Decent attempt to get forward at times.

Wharton- good debut but will get torched in the air from any average sized Championship centre half. Think it was his man that scored at the end. Looks a good player but he is a bit lean.

Greer- Small again, struggled in the air against them. Slow but did okay. Imagine he will be okay most of the year. Would prefer him to be a back up option off the bench but alas he is the first defender on the team sheet.

Hendrie- I can't figure him out yet. He is sloppy with the ball and regularly just punts it to no one. He is tough in the tackle though and did okay. He needs to get forward more. Better than Henley, so he plays.

Marshall- Due a decent game soon from Mr 1 in 6. He was okay yesterday. Got the ball in decent positions but regularly makes the wrong decision in the final third.

Byrne- Very poor yesterday. Didn't look interested at all. In previous games he was demanding the ball from the centre half, but he was lethargic yesterday. Someone else said he looked like a 13 year old laddie playing with the big boys.

Akpan- Makes the usual silly misplaced passes, but he played pretty well and put himself about a fair bit. Def a better fit next to Bryne than Lenihan.

Conway- Cracking strike, didn't do a lot else to be honest. Works hard.

Graham- Rubbish again

Gallagher- thought he looked good. Quick and has a good first touch. Should have scored in the first half but the boy just nicked in. I guess it's time to see Stokes and Gallacher up top next week.

Feeney- dreadful. Please play Mahoney instead

Stokes- did nothing of note.

Lenihan- did nothing positive

Archived