BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Nobend

41 minutes ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I feel the team would be a stronger overall unit with Mulgrew at LB rather than putting him into CM or CB at the expense of Hoban or Guthrie.

He's our best player and should be in a more influential position. Central mid or defence 

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've mentioned I disagree as I feel we aren't a good enough side to be leaving out players like Hoban when the sum of our parts can be greater by playing Mulgrew at LB. You can argue any position on the field is influential, for instance LB is really influential for us at the moment as it's where teams have spotted a weakness and are aiming to exploit. Similarly RB was a really influential/costly position for us earlier in the year for the same reasons, teams spotted a weakness in Feeney and Lowe and chose to constantly attack us there.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

I disagree, Mulgrew would add balance to the defence playing at left back. We would maintain the mobility and athleticism of Hoban and Lenihan whilst having an experienced player who is comfortable on the ball back there. Whilst I am no real fan of Lowe he and Guthrie have performed well in there the last few weeks with one being the ball player the other willing (but limited) runner. Lowe won't be dropped and Guthrie has done nothing to deserve being dropped. I feel the team would be a stronger overall unit with Mulgrew at LB rather than putting him into CM or CB at the expense of Hoban or Guthrie.

Also allows an easy transition to 3 at the back if Nyambe wishes to push forward, while allowing Guthrie to pull strings higher up the pitch with Lowe covering.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Preston have never liked us since the 1960s because they knew deep down that Bryan Douglas was better than Tom Finney. 

Later on in the timeline they would argue whether Tokyo Joe's were better than Peps.

We were too busy singing Alan Shearer songs to care.

2 hours ago, Lancaster Rover said:

Mulgrew is a natural fit in there should Guthrie be injured and/or rested however whilst all are fit I think we have to get our best players on the pitch, we aren't a good enough side to be leaving out players like Hoban IMO. It also helps that Mulgrew is an excellent left back, in fact he is far superior to Williams and should we have had an increased number of fit and/or quality defenders I think he would have played there more often this season.

Do you like Hoban?

Any chance we could sign him I wonder? I would love to see him and Lenihan stick together as our center half pairing. 

3 at the back with Hoban/Lenihan/Mulgrew is great. Would allow Bennett and Conway to operate as wingbacks and have Akpan and Lowe in the midfield doing the dirty work then have Mahoney and Emnes dropping off in space, with Joao up top.

3 hours ago, booth said:

There used to be PNE scarves and hats at Ewood in the early/mid 90's. In the Blackburn End enclosure one fella was at almost every game with his PNE colours on.

So it's some of their own fans and other fellow Prestonians who are actually the 'plastics'.

Odd bunch a lot of whom have a duel support relationship with Man U who are definitely the biggest club in Preston probably just shading out Liverpool. 

Is it coincidence that Rovers have let in 4 goals since Mulgrew has been missing from the back 4? If he is fit he has to partner Lenighan at the back. Looking at the goals we've given away in the last two games they've all been avoidable.

Mulgren is too slow to play full back. I'm no fan of Willaims or Lowe but I think they are a better fit at left back than Chaz.

Just now, Fraserkirky said:

3 at the back with Hoban/Lenihan/Mulgrew is great. Would allow Bennett and Conway to operate as wingbacks and have Akpan and Lowe in the midfield doing the dirty work then have Mahoney and Emnes dropping off in space, with Joao up top.

I could see the advantages of this if you didn't ruin it by saying Akpan in midfield. He offers little protection if wingbacks get caught upfield. Guthrie a better bet.

Still prefer tried and tested 4-4-2 as we are in no position to experiment.

9 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Hope I'm wrong but I think this game might be one to far, after last nights our lads must be running on empty and they are in decent form.

I think we've been saying that since the Cardiff match. Maybe our players aren't as unfit as we thought. The tactics seem to be there, though, and that was the missing element.

A point wouldn't be disastrous if Huddersfield can beat Bristol City on Friday night, but I'd love all three points here to give us a little breathing space. We haven't drubbed anyone for a while... What better time to start than Saturday?

40 minutes ago, tomphil said:

So it's some of their own fans and other fellow Prestonians who are actually the 'plastics'.

Odd bunch a lot of whom have a duel support relationship with Man U who are definitely the biggest club in Preston probably just shading out Liverpool. 

Man Utd and Liverpool are the best 'supported' clubs in most towns and cities in England, Thomas Philip.

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Preston have never liked us since the 1960s because they knew deep down that Bryan Douglas was better than Tom Finney. 

I idolised Bryan Douglas at Ewood Jim , he is still the best player I've ever seen in a Blue and white shirt. However Tom Finney was something else, he was World class.

Some funny posts on their forums.

This one in particular made me laugh:

@#/? Plastics 1 Nobbers 3

"who let the Bark out" who! who!

just had a look on there forum...no mention of our game yet...arrogant @#/?.....notice a post from `preston` blue though......grrrrr hate them with a passion!......lets hope we help relegate them......oh HAPPY HAPPY days indeed COYW!!!!

Their hatred for us reminds me a lot of Bolton, and just like Bolton, I couldn't really give two hoots about them.

Just now, renrag said:

Tyrone; you and I have waxed lyrical about Bryan Douglas on several topics on here and none of them have been exaggerated. In fact some of Hazzard's mazy runs the other night reminded me of Douglas. Having said that Finney, in my opinion, is the finest footballer I have ever seen live and that includes George Best.

Bill Shankley summed it up when he was asked if Finney was better than a certain player. He answered that Finney was better than any current player even if he was in his 70's and wearing an overcoat . 

Me too. Finney had a bit more pace and he could head the ball. In fact he could play right across the front line.

Do any of you remember when Finney turned up at a Rover's game about 16 years ago or so and a reporter spotted him and asked him why he finally decided to go to a game again and he said that he came to see the very special talent that was Damien Duff.

2 hours ago, Gary Paul said:

Man Utd and Liverpool are the best 'supported' clubs in most towns and cities in England, Thomas Philip.

How about no.

Any plans for a new UTD megastore in City centre ? PNE could have a merchandise stand at the back of it, makes sense. Derek Shaw could provide the shelves shelf :rover:

Just now, tomphil said:

How about no.

Any plans for a new UTD megastore in City centre ? PNE could have a merchandise stand at the back of it, makes sense. Derek Shaw could provide the shelves shelf :rover:

Lol. What a bloody good post Tommy (Don't mind if I call you that, do you mate?) Made me chuckle did that.

I fancy like you now. 

Add me on Facebook if you want? I've also got an Xbox one S with 6 games so you can sleep at mine one night next week if you fancy it? Stop up all night playing computer and taking about footy. It'll be good I reckon.

PM me.

Just now, Gary Paul said:

Lol. What a bloody good post Tommy (Don't mind if I call you that, do you mate?) Made me chuckle did that.

I fancy like you now. 

Add me on Facebook if you want? I've also got an Xbox one S with 6 games so you can sleep at mine one night next week if you fancy it? Stop up all night playing computer and taking about footy. It'll be good I reckon.

PM me.

Not related to THOR by any chance are you ? B)

And it's Mr Phil to you, remember your on your illustrious rivals board now !

Just now, tomphil said:

Not related to THOR by any chance are you ? B)

And it's Mr Phil to you, remember your on your illustrious rivals board now !

Thanks but I think I'll stick to calling you Tommy.

Mr Phil sounds too formal and peculiar; like we're in a sort of weird homosexual dominatrix relationship. 

When in fact, we're just best mates.

Archived