BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celebrity Deaths

• Backroom
14 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I was disappointed to read James Randi died in October. He was a magician and campaigned against fake psychics, and those con men who claimed to be preachers.

Any other kind of psychic?

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 21:41, Clearwater said:

Amazing how Maradona was a scummy drug addict by Best was a man "tortured by his demons"

In my opinion nearly all the issues with Maradona are down to that handball, which having been on the receiving end of Henrys handball to deny us a world cup place I would say get over it FFS he was a great player possibly the best and saying he had to be a nice guy to be considered a great player? Give your head a wobble thats just childish.

Anyway Pele always comes accross as smug to me.

So you're saying Maradona didn't have to be a nice person to be be considered a great player (true) but in the next breath you're saying you don't like Pele because he's "smug?"

Is this a spoof post?

FWIW if you read anything by Pele he always comes across as exceptionally humble imo.

On Maradona, he was exceptionally talented as a player but and I never wished him any harm but neither am I  personally  losing any sleep over a guy who cheated to win a World Cup Final and who was a drug addict and someone with Mafia connections off it.

I'm not bothered about what he did off the pitch, many people have their personal demons, my indifference to him is much more down to the fact that he cheated to win a World Cup Final.  I understand it's something you could do instinctively but if he'd instantly owned up to his misdemeanour and had the goal ruled out his legend would far eclipse even what it is now.

Not a particularly accurate comparison with Best either imo. Maradona was a much darker character.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So you're saying Maradona didn't have to be a nice person to be be considered a great player (true) but in the next breath you're saying you don't like Pele because he's "smug?"

Is this a spoof post?

FWIW if you read anything by Pele he always comes across as exceptionally humble imo.

On Maradona, he was exceptionally talented as a player but and I never wished him any harm but neither am I  personally  losing any sleep over a guy who cheated to win a World Cup Final and who was a drug addict and someone with Mafia connections off it.

I'm not bothered about what he did off the pitch, many people have their personal demons, my indifference to him is much more down to the fact that he cheated to win a World Cup Final.  I understand it's something you could do instinctively but if he'd instantly owned up to his misdemeanour and had the goal ruled out his legend would far eclipse even what it is now.

Not a particularly accurate comparison with Best either imo. Maradona was a much darker character.

But he didn't say Pele wasn't a great player, he just said he doesn't like him. No contradiction that I read.

44 minutes ago, Mike E said:

But he didn't say Pele wasn't a great player, he just said he doesn't like him. No contradiction that I read.

I never said Maradona wasn't a great player either. I did have him at number 3 in my all time list. 

I merely said that for me to be considered the greatest of all time the player in question should have something special about them personality wise  - and got told to "give my head a wobble!"

It's a matter of opinion anyhow. Most people's assessments will be slightly different.

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is this a spoof post?

Number 1 my pele point was tongue in cheek my point was its ridiculous to say you cannot be considered a great player because youre not nice. I also never said wasn't a great player, the term is thrown about too much for my liking but by any yard stick they were both great players.

He didnt cheat to win a world cup final he cheated to win a world cup quarter final. Its nonsense to suggest he should have had the goal disallowed, when has anyone ever done that? How many times has ronaldo dived to win a penalty or free kick outside the box (akin to a penalty for him) his reputation is not plagued like Maradona's is in the UK. If the hand of god had occured against Germany in that world cup I doubt you would be even mentioning it now. It was not his finest hour agreed, that occurred 4 minutes later.

21 minutes ago, Clearwater said:

Number 1 my pele point was tongue in cheek my point was its ridiculous to say you cannot be considered a great player because youre not nice. I also never said wasn't a great player, the term is thrown about too much for my liking but by any yard stick they were both great players.

He didnt cheat to win a world cup final he cheated to win a world cup quarter final. Its nonsense to suggest he should have had the goal disallowed, when has anyone ever done that? How many times has ronaldo dived to win a penalty or free kick outside the box (akin to a penalty for him) his reputation is not plagued like Maradona's is in the UK. If the hand of god had occured against Germany in that world cup I doubt you would be even mentioning it now. It was not his finest hour agreed, that occurred 4 minutes later.

My apologies, you're right, quarter final not final (should have said World Cup "Finals")  but I don't think that makes any difference to the point I was making, a quarter final of the World Cup is the biggest of stages and the principle is exactly the same.

It's not usual but I have seen players own up to misdemeanours on occasion over the years. You may think it's a twee comparison but if a golfer was proved to be cheating to try and win, not only would he not be a hero but he'd be disgraced and would probably never play professionally again.

Had one of our players done that during the 66 final I wouldn't have a particularly high opinion of the player in question and personally I wouldn't derive much if any satisfaction from the win. Others probably still would - each to their own.

OnhMaradona's pure ability, can only repeat what I said above, I never said he wasn't a great player. 

Edited by RevidgeBlue

21 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

My apologies, you're right, quarter final not final (should have said World Cup "Finals")  but I don't think that makes any difference to the point I was making, a quarter final of the World Cup is the biggest of stages and the principle is exactly the same.

It's not usual but I have seen players own up to misdemeanours on occasion over the years. You may think it's a twee comparison but if a golfer was proved to be cheating to try and win, not only would he not be a hero but he'd be disgraced and would probably never play professionally again.

Had one of our players done that during the 66 final I wouldn't have a particularly high opinion of the player in question and personally I wouldn't derive much if any satisfaction from the win. Others probably still would - each to their own.

OnhMaradona's pure ability, can only repeat what I said above, I never said he wasn't a great player. 

Different sport though, I agree whole heartedly that a golfer will call a stroke against himself and snooker players do it regularly. Football players do not, and scoring with your hand is wrong the same way as diving for a penalty or waving for a red card for an opposition player is indemic in football but Maradona is pillaried like no other player as a cheat, while in my opinion excluding that  instant seemed to get kicked from minute 1 of every game and for the most part seemed to just get on with it.

I guess opinions are like assholes everyones got one, we will have to agree to disagree. 

I think this deserves to be in the celebrity section.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18945952.ronnie-hill-tributes-paid-devoted-family-man-legend-blackburn-rovers-supporters-scene/

I knew Ronnie from watching Rovers over many years, a lovely man and a more dedicated Rovers fan you'll struggle to meet. I was aware he'd not been well, this has just knocked me/us sideways.....

If you're reading this Mackey and the GT Harwood lot - We're thinking about you all.

RIP Ronnie - Rovers legend. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Rogerb said:

John Edrich England opening batsmen has died 83 Geoffrey's opening partner in many tests.

I remember John Edrich and Brian Close facing up to the most fearsome spell of bowling I've ever seen. Every other ball was a bouncer. The Windies over stepped the line of what cricket is supposed to be all about that day in my opinion. I liked Clive Lloyd but he went down a long way in my opinion with that performance.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember John Edrich and Brian Close facing up to the most fearsome spell of bowling I've ever seen. Every other ball was a bouncer. The Windies over stepped the line of what cricket is supposed to be all about that day in my opinion. I liked Clive Lloyd but he went down a long way in my opinion with that performance.

Was brian close over 40 by that time?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Was that Whisper Death ‘Michael Holding’ pummelling Close and Edrich? 

Close with no helmet and very little protection, just brutal, no wonder Botham looked up to Close.

Tough tough men. 

There was a photo in the papers the day after that innings of Close with his shirt off. His torso was a mass of cricket ball shaped bruises. On some of the bruises you could see the seam ! I've seen lots of better innings but I don't think I've seen a braver one. He was only wearing a cap, no helmets then.

What the umpires were thinking of I'll never know, somebody could have easily been killed. They were watched as 4 or 5 short pitched balls an over were sent down and did nothing.