BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rotherham V Rovers

Kamy100

1 minute ago, RV Blue said:

Shrewsbury game is now effectively a must win, it didn't have to be.

Totally agree. Huge pressure on this game now. Mind you when the going gets tough Mowbray gets going. Usually to the toilet.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep banging on about it, full backs aren't good enough particularly RB, so if we do get Amari Bell in it will make a massive difference, if we get a good winger in, again, massive difference, a full back and winger who are both good at getting forward will give us so much more, we don't have that currently. I and most of you knew that to be the case before the season started but it wasn't addressed. Okay Chapman came in, but it was too much to expect of one player.

We are in a position now, where if Dack gets injured, I think we are a mid-table team. The team needs strengthening and fast. Say for example we had a good window and brought in Bell, Oztumer and a good winger, I would say, yep, i'd back us to go up now. We need another creative man as there is too much being put on Dacks shoulders.

Add to that Lenihan and Chapman coming back for last 15 games or so, the squad would look solid, at the moment the options on the bench are minimal, aka not good enough.

The mentality in games must change also. 

Just now, Mattyblue said:

At Peterborough Tomlinson came on and helped us keep the ball when protecting the lead.

Today he just chucks on a third centre half and we just invite pressure for the last 15 minutes. Bizarre stuff.

Someone should pin that in TM's office.

• Backroom
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Tomlinson was awful against Scunthorpe which may have had a bearing on his decision. 

Long way to go but Wigan and Shrews consistent and solid and looking good for the top 2 places.

As I posted on the Scunthorpe match thread, Wigan and Shrewsbury concede very few goals. We concede considerably more. Losing Dack would be a hammer blow for us, so we and Mowbray had better hope he stays fit and isn't sold. Without him our goalscoring likely goes down significantly and that is something we can't afford with our defence as it is. 

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

At Peterborough Tomlinson came on and helped us keep the ball when protecting the lead.

Today he just chucks on a third centre half and we just invite pressure for the last 15 minutes. Bizarre stuff.

Ward came on at 85 mins.

Rotherham score at 89 mins.

Mowbray fecked it up much quicker than you think, assisted it appears by Nyambe conceeding a corner and the newly strenghtend Rovers defence being unable to defend said corner.

A Mowbray classic.

16 minutes ago, Rover_Shaun said:

Never fear. Shrewsbury have that fabled stumble to come yet.

What a very very poor Christmas period.

A couple of years ago everyone expected Burton to stumble. And again last season their staying up - against all predictions - helped to put us down. Hope but don't expect Shrews to crumble.

Late goals like that sap morale. I imagine the dressing room would have been quiet after the game.

Test for Mowbray now is to lift the players for the Hull and Shrews fixtures.

I hope he fields a full strength side against Hull. 

15 minutes ago, AAK said:

Keep banging on about it, full backs aren't good enough particularly RB, so if we do get Amari Bell in it will make a massive difference, if we get a good winger in, again, massive difference, a full back and winger who are both good at getting forward will give us so much more, we don't have that currently. I and most of you knew that to be the case before the season started but it wasn't addressed. Okay Chapman came in, but it was too much to expect of one player.

We are in a position now, where if Dack gets injured, I think we are a mid-table team. The team needs strengthening and fast. Say for example we had a good window and brought in Bell, Oztumer and a good winger, I would say, yep, i'd back us to go up now. We need another creative man as there is too much being put on Dacks shoulders.

Add to that Lenihan and Chapman coming back for last 15 games or so, the squad would look solid, at the moment the options on the bench are minimal, aka not good enough.

The mentality in games must change also. 

I only heard the half-time report, but Bradford winger had Amari Bell 'on toast' today, they did say he is recognised as one of the best FB's in the league though.

Perhaps his mind was elsewhere ?

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Ward came on at 85 mins.

Rotherham score at 89 mins.

Mowbray fecked it up much quicker than you think, assisted it appears by Nyambe conceeding a corner and the newly strenghtend Rovers defence being unable to defend said corner.

A Mowbray classic.

Do Rovers ever not concede when Ward is on?

Just now, DE. said:

As I posted on the Scunthorpe match thread, Wigan and Shrewsbury concede very few goals. We concede considerably more

I think that's the real problem here, and the goals we concede are all so avoidable. Wigan and Shrewsbury simply don't concede the number of soft goals we do. 4 points lost at Northampton and Rotherham due to not defending the back post at a corner. 2 points lost at home to Scunny because Bennett and Raya made Sunday League mistakes.

If we beat Shrewsbury we are back amongst it but there are now 5 teams going for the Top 2. Long, long way to go but if we keep making the same mistakes we only have ourselves to blame.

Personally I think it’s a bit simplistic to load this entirely on Mowbray. It’s not like we were cruising and he suddenly decided to shut up shop. We’d never really been on top anyway then Rotherham went for it chucking another big lad up front. I thought we were increasingly under the cosh before he made the sub. Plus our goal came directly from the changes he made so you can’t have it both ways.

Bottom line is three centre halves gave a free header to a guy in the middle of the goal on the six yard line then there was no one on the back post to attack the knock down. We are consistently poor at corners at both ends no matter who is on the pitch.

We created two chances in 90 mins so a point away at the 7th place club seems reasonable. The big miss in this run of games was Northampton, two points definitely chucked away there.

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

We are consistently poor at corners at both ends no matter who is on the pitch.

Is that not the fault of the manager? Does it suggest a lack of attention to detail on the training pitch? Consistently conceding at the back post off corners suggests someone isn't doing their job properly again and again.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Is that not the fault of the manager? Does it suggest a lack of attention to detail on the training pitch? Consistently conceding at the back post off corners suggests someone isn't doing their job properly again and again.

Quite possibly. Or that we don’t have a commanding aerial presence at either end, which we don’t IMO. Or both.

Whilst it's disappointing to lose a late goal, a draw away at Rotherham, who have been flying of late, isn't such a bad result. 

We are now unbeaten in 14 games which is a great effort, and sit in 3rd place, very well placed to take one of the automatic promotion places with bags of points left to play for.

A mention for the manager, where did he pull that rabbit (Dack) from? And why did nobody else snap that lad up? What a great signing he's proving to be and he could well be the difference come May.

Extremely pleased with the season so far, much better than I expected.  

Terrible and damaging end to a really bad festive season that leaves us in a position where if we lose or maybe even dont win v Shrewsbury our chances of automatic promotion should go.

No excuses, Mowbrays been bleating about our stretched squad but if you look around, can Shrewsbury bring in players of the experience of Evans, Samuel, Conway in an attempt to freshen things up?

Only 1 win from 4 in a period of loads of games, thats when our squad should show, our superior resources compared to the likes of Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe.

Constantly conceding from set piece and, throwing away leads (3 times in 3 days) are not the hallmarks of a manager capable of promotion, and his tactical ineptitude today sounds like its what cost us a point.

Im not going to start saying he needs to go, because we recently won 6 in a row, but these last 4 games have been a massive and costly dip in form at the wrong time, and no matter how people dress it up to defend him. Being in 3rd, 5 points off Shrewsbury after 25 games is indicative that we are not doing well enough and Tony Mowbray is not doing a good job this season.

Dack is dragging us along at the moment, before we sign any full backs or any strikers, we need 2 pacy wingers and before Shrewsbury. And v Hull, Dack, Mulgrew and Smallwood need the day off.

The truth is we've been poor all the festive season forget about the hull game TM has to have the senior pros ready and rarein to go for the six pointer with Shrewsbury.. Whom we may have to break down as a draw will suit them more than us.. 

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Whilst it's disappointing to lose a late goal, a draw away at Rotherham, who have been flying of late, isn't such a bad result. 

We are now unbeaten in 14 games which is a great effort, and sit in 3rd place, very well placed to take one of the automatic promotion places with bags of points left to play for.

A mention for the manager, where did he pull that rabbit (Dack) from? And why did nobody else snap that lad up? What a great signing he's proving to be and he could well be the difference come May.

Extremely pleased with the season so far, much better than I expected.  

Why is it much better than you expected? I know we arent used to winning but we signed Dack (not from nowhere, hes been player of the season in this division, and quite a few others and kept Mulgrew, Graham, Bennett etc. So to be behind Shrewsbury who barely have anything, after 25 games, by 5 points, how low were your expectations?

(Tin hat on)

Have we won since Bennett was brought back into the side?

Not all his fault of course but sometimes the margin between winning and losing can be extremely fine and we need to be as good as we can be all over the pitch.

We seemed to be picking up results quite nicely if not playing particularly well when he was unavailable.

I would ditch him and go on the offensive with two main strikers up top. Especially at home.

On train 5 of 6 for the day, and this is my feelings;

Played average. Neither team looked great and overall a fair result.

In terms of players - I was impressed with Evans for a change and I felt we played ok without particularly impressed with anyone. Dack and Graham probably stand outs.

As for the changes - I can understand Samuel and Nyambe one, but I certainly feel that going 5 at the back cost us. We had no way of holding the ball up and allowed them to control the game. Poor decision to bring Ward on, and I feel it cost us. Hopefully Tony learns from that.

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

(Tin hat on)

Have we won since Bennett was brought back into the side?

Not all his fault of course but sometimes the margin between winning and losing can be extremely fine and we need to be as good as we can be all over the pitch.

We seemed to be picking up results quite nicely if not playing particularly well when he was unavailable.

I would ditch him and go on the offensive with two main strikers up top. Especially at home.

Your issue with Bennett is embarrassing. 

41 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Good point. Pity the same wasn't done today

Archived