BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Early leavers

damo100

Whilst sat in my seat in the BBE on Saturday, after Graham equalised I was hoping and praying we'd get a winner.

It looked like We could have in the following 5-10 mins or so.

I then noticed streams of fans leaving, I looked at the time left which was 6 minutes, I knew a fair chunk of injury time would be added, as 6 more minutes proved.

My point is, why do some supporters leave early like this, I know some would have valid reasons but not all.

You wait a week or 2 for a match at Ewood, pay a decent amount of money for the privilege then leave with over 10 mins to go?

I just can't get my head round this, feel free to give your own opinion on this, or maybe you yourself generally leave early, tell us why?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This happened in the mid 90's when we had Shearer etc bearing down on the BBE goal. It's a habit I think :o

Always looks worse in Riverside because of it's set up, Bristol City used to have similar in a stand years ago but it's been altered now.

With 25,000 folk in the ground you could kind of understand it, but these days it can only be habit.

I leave after the whistle, meet some Riversiders at Jack’s statue, amble up to the car at Mill Hill and still don’t see much in the way of traffic.

I've never understood it. Do these same people leave the cinema before the end of a film?or walk out of a restaurant before pudding is served?I once had to leave early because I should never have gone in the first place - I was supposed to be at a family do in the Midlands  but felt I could fit in a first half at Ewood before leaving. Otherwise I was always there till the bitter end, however many we were losing by.

I used to go to the Rugby League with a mate. I'd meet him inside the ground. The gates would normally be around 1,500 to 2,000. He always insisted on leaving home games about 5 minutes before the end no matter what the score was. It was " to beat the traffic " ! Funnily enough when we  went away and he was driving we normally stayed while the final whistle.

A few will have urgent reasons to leave early, some will have cars and want to be first out of the car parks but of the rest I suspect if adults most are off to the Pub and want there favourite seat!

I like to arrive early and leave late, mild claustrophobia makes that my choice.

I have only left Ewood early once, v Chelsea in the League Cup and then only after being invited to. I blame Robbo.

Once with a couple of mates we were the last out of Anfield and then only after a Copper told us to do one.

It certainly is strange and has to be just down to habit. Hardly filling the ground and we are at home - even if traffic its not as if its going to take you 3 hours to get home.

Imagine we scored in the 90 + 4th minute, they would have been gutted to miss the scenes.

When I used to go - never left early no matter home or away, I looked forward to the match all week and did not want to miss a single minute and was pissed if i missed the kickoff. Traffic? Who gives a fck, talking about the match makes the time go faster.

10 hours ago, damo100 said:

Whilst sat in my seat in the BBE on Saturday, after Graham equalised I was hoping and praying we'd get a winner.

It looked like We could have in the following 5-10 mins or so.

I then noticed streams of fans leaving, I looked at the time left which was 6 minutes, I knew a fair chunk of injury time would be added, as 6 more minutes proved.

My point is, why do some supporters leave early like this, I know some would have valid reasons but not all.

You wait a week or 2 for a match at Ewood, pay a decent amount of money for the privilege then leave with over 10 mins to go?

I just can't get my head round this, feel free to give your own opinion on this, or maybe you yourself generally leave early, tell us why?

I have never left early, but maybe the fact that in most of the games at Ewood this season, the previous 80 mins or so have not been entertaining as far as the performances go, might be a factor.

I remember an FA Cup Quarter Final replay against Millwall quite recently when we were one down and playing shockingly bad. With an equaliser would have come extra time and possibly penalties but the number of people leaving from five minutes before the end was staggering.

I do agree that it's habit for quite a few.

When I first started going with my mate and his dad the gates were usually 4 or 5k and we sat in the upper tier of the old riverside, he'd make us leave a full 5 mins before the end even then whatever was happening. Number of times we heard a roar but had no idea if there was a goal or who'd scored till we got in the car was ridiculous but it just seems to be part of the day for a lot of people.

Can understand older people doing it and a handful who have to rush off but it's quite ridiculous at Ewood and always has been, embarrassing in fact.

In more than 55 years watching football I have never left a match early - ever. I remember going to Wembley with a chap to watch Don Revie's first match as England manager, circa 1974 versus Czechoslovakia. We left after 80 minutes because he wanted to "beat the traffic" with the score 1-1. England then scored 2 goals in the last 10 minutes, with the roars from the crowd filling the night air as we walked away from the stadium.  Barmy

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

In more than 55 years watching football I have never left a match early - ever. I remember going to Wembley with a chap to watch Don Revie's first match as England manager, circa 1974 versus Czechoslovakia. We left after 80 minutes because he wanted to "beat the traffic" with the score 1-1. England then scored 2 goals in the last 10 minutes, with the roars from the crowd filling the night air as we walked away from the stadium.  Barmy

So you have left a match early then. Better to say ever since then :D

Just now, JHRover said:

I walked out 5 minutes early away at MK Dons a couple of years ago when we were 3-0 down, more in disgust than actually wanting to get away quickly.

Yeah in circumstances where we have no chance - I can understand it.

14 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

So you have left a match early then. Better to say ever since then :D

Should have said voluntarily, or when I have been on my own. I've seen some dire Rovers performances over the years, when we have been 5-0 down or more, but have always stuck it out to the bitter end. 

I have a friend who is a man city fan who always leaves just after the 80 minute mark. He left Wembley against Gillingham and missed the shootout and win and if he hadn't learned missed the memorable aguero moment because he doesn't like traffic. ?

Think the Riverside design has a lot to do with it and many stroll along to the BBN End side aiming to hang on but don't, then want to avoid the BBN End rush (I know!) so keep going. But for many its got to be avoiding the final whistle rush.

During one of our Premiership days I once left home at 245pm, parked up at Mill Hill and still managed to take my seat in BBN End on KO. I could never make it back in 15 mins because of the crowd all leaving at the same time on the final whistle. So maybe that's the answer - many wanting to avoid the final whistle crowd.  

Every club has them I think. My season ticket was in the Riverside from when I first started going at the age of about six so 2002 right up too 2013 when I moved to the BBE. There was this one guy who every single week left with 10 minutes to go, it even started to annoy me having to stand up for him to get past especially if we were chasing a late winner or equaliser, I understand some people like to get off to avoid traffic or get somewhere they need to go but I could never understand paying for a season ticket to leave early EVERY WEEK. Fair enough if we are 2 or 3 down with 10 minutes to go get yourself off but when you're firmly in a game it makes no sense too me.

Archived