BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Oldham

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mulgrew, Antonsson and Gladwin all trained today. 

Chapman trained with physios. 

Outrageous claim and zero info to back it up pal..

Suggest you stick to football agency work lad. :-)

?Gladwin another game thrower in the camp.

David Lowe Venus and Mowbray can't teach players to play three at the back ? chaddy !

He threw it and set the scene beforehand.

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Having just read TM's press conference, I get the feeling that he would love to shoe horn Evans back into centre - midfield :(

If we have to be honest He had some good 30mins last saturday

I would not play him myself but he is a CM and it makes perfect sense for whoever the manager is to start with his proper CM if fully fit

On 2/6/2018 at 17:11, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Nyambe Mulgrew Williams

Travis       Bennett      Smallwood    Bell

Dack

Graham Armstrong

Subs:- Luetwiler Downing Payne Samuel Conway Nuttall Evans

Compared to the starting 11 back in Oct 2017 (see below) v Oldham away, above looks a better balanced team in terms of not carrying other players and is more attacking. Ok we were away that day but with the quality now we should be scoring heavily against the club with the highest goals against in League 1.      

Raya

Caddis   WARD   Mulgrew   Williams

Bennett Smallwood Whittingham CONWAY

Anntonsson 

Samuel

Subs: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Harper, Chapman, Graham, Gladwin, Dack

10 hours ago, JAL said:

?Gladwin another game thrower in the camp.

David Lowe Venus and Mowbray can't teach players to play three at the back ? chaddy !

He threw it and set the scene beforehand.

Alot of mud throwing from yourself but as always very very little to back it up in terms of evidence. 

6 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Compared to the starting 11 back in Oct 2017 (see below) v Oldham away, above looks a better balanced team in terms of not carrying other players and is more attacking. Ok we were away that day but with the quality now we should be scoring heavily against the club with the highest goals against in League 1.      

Raya

Caddis   WARD   Mulgrew   Williams

Bennett Smallwood Whittingham CONWAY

Anntonsson 

Samuel

Subs: Leutwiler, Nyambe, Harper, Chapman, Graham, Gladwin, Dack

We have attacking players and 3 at the back would be decent for us. 

I expect Mowbray to stick to 4-2-3-1 formation and Payne and Mulgrew in for Conway and Williams

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We have attacking players and 3 at the back would be decent for us. 

It's always 5 at the back. The wing-backs will inevitably drop back. So that's 5 defenders at home, with 3 CH's. Madness. We also have to drop one of Payne or Dack because they can't both be No.10. So we'd actually have less attacking players than if we played with a flat back 4. Madness. We've just gone 18 unbeaten not playing 5 at the back. You want to change that? Madness. 5 at the back failed against Donny, and it failed against Barnet for 45 minutes iirc. You want to go back to that? Madness, they call it Madness.

Pathetic.

Good to see you've seen sense and gone back to a flat back 4 so we can play our attacking players. At Home.

• Backroom
6 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

In Mowbray we trust :brfc:

They are all must-win games from here on in but this one really is vital. It took us a long time to bridge the 10-15 point gap that opened up in the first two to three months of the season.  Nearly 18 games in fact. We won't have that luxury if we mess up in the next few games and are firmly back in the chasing pack.

I'll go for a 3-1 home win. I'm rarely confident but I think we'll actually be up for this one. A decent away following should make for a good atmosphere.

13 hours ago, skous18 said:

If we have to be honest He had some good 30mins last saturday

I would not play him myself but he is a CM and it makes perfect sense for whoever the manager is to start with his proper CM if fully fit

He said last week he could feel it in the air they were up for it and the team motivated itself but that didn't turn out to be the case. I think in truth he seriously and needlessly reeled them in tactics wise last Saturday and he's been ruing it ever since but if he was perfect he wouldn't be here I suppose.

I hope he's finally learned a lesson about this team it can't go out to grind 0-0's or 1-0's so it's daft to keep trying just let them play with freedom, tight at the back, lively in the middle and get it quickly to the forward players and let them express themselves. If we lose let's lose by the odd goal in a close fought game we've nothing to fear except our own trepidation.

Also fair play to Mowbray he's done what proper gaffers do and taken it on his shoulders and away from the team you have to go a long long way back for that not even the last nice guy did that.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:47, K-Hod said:

'When you come down from the Grane Road into Darwen, you enter the failure zone'. Coming from a person from Oldham that's an alarming lack of self-awareness.

The last time I went there, I was waiting at some traffic lights outside the Tesco there. A girl left the Tesco and poured vodka into her bottle of Coke. This was a Friday lunch time. Getting the party started early......

Whoooooooooosh.

He was referring to Oldham's performances at Blackburn, its a failure zone for Oldham!  Sensitive lot aren't you.    Hope we smash you and you then still get promoted (only one is likely).  All the best.

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, biffo said:

Whoooooooooosh.

He was referring to Oldham's performances at Blackburn, its a failure zone for Oldham!  Sensitive lot aren't you.    Hope we smash you and you then still get promoted (only one is likely).  All the best.

Not really, the joke just clearly went over my head on that occasion.

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Mowbray said after the Plymouth defeat that he regretted not making more changes for the game, the players selected looked leggy, which would account for the uncharacteristic poor performance.

So it makes sense to give the players time off Asia, but you wonder why he didn't see it during training in the lead up to Plymouth?

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray said after the Plymouth defeat that he regretted not making more changes for the game, the players selected looked leggy, which would account for the uncharacteristic poor performance.

So it makes sense to give the players time off Asia, but you wonder why he didn't see it during training in the lead up to Plymouth?

Training and games are very different. 

I think his biggest mistake was giving Payne no game time.

I can see us playing the same side as against Walsall. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think Mulgrew's positive mental attitude is missed on the pitch, every bit as much as his physical presence and contribution.

The players' body language and general lack of application at Plymouth was disconcerting for me. Tiredness manifests itself after 60/70 minutes and not from the off as was evident at Home Park.

My biggest criticism of Mowbray would be his constant 'bigging up' of the opposition. It's one thing trying to keep our feet on the ground but I feel he goes too far and creates a feeling of fear in the team which frequently shows in our play on the park.

We're at home against Oldham, select a team that in an attacking sense puts the fear of god in the opposition, wind 'em up and let them go.

It's then an added bonus if Charlie is fit to play.

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

I think Mulgrew's positive mental attitude is missed on the pitch, every bit as much as his physical presence and contribution.

The players' body language and general lack of application at Plymouth was disconcerting for me. Tiredness manifests itself after 60/70 minutes and not from the off as was evident at Home Park.

My biggest criticism of Mowbray would be his constant 'bigging up' of the opposition. It's one thing trying to keep our feet on the ground but I feel he goes too far and creates a feeling of fear in the team which frequently shows in our play on the park.

We're at home against Oldham, select a team that in an attacking sense puts the fear of god in the opposition, wind 'em up and let them go.

It's then an added bonus if Charlie is fit to play.

I agree on bigging up the other teams to the media, although I wonder is he towing the same line behind closed doors? Even doing it in the media does encourage the opposition though

51 minutes ago, biffo said:

Whoooooooooosh.

You went through the process of signing up to this board - just for that?

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree on bigging up the other teams to the media, although I wonder is he towing the same line behind closed doors? Even doing it in the media does encourage the opposition though

It demonstrates to me a lack of confidence and conviction, it shouldn't be so.

With the exception of not signing a commanding centre half in January (or last summer for that matter), I'm thrilled by both the retention of our key players and our recent acquisitions. I just wish that Mowbray was bold enough to forget the opposition to a degree and let the opposition worry about us.

We have the potential and tools in our armoury to go out and win all of our 16 remaining games but they need (and should have) absolute self belief and I don't see that they have for whatever reason.

45 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Training and games are very different you're quite correct, but Mowbray felt the recent run of form would see them through, but he was wrong and fair play to him for shouldering the blame.

Lets see if a few days off pays dividends tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

But you could say dismissing the opposition to the media would encourage the opposition? What TM SAYS via the media should have very little impact on how Rovers perform.

We get ahead in a game and then take our foot off the gas. Not sure why that might be but we need to be going and getting a 2nd and 3rd in games with the ability in our attacking ranks and susceptibility to conceding from very little pressure. 

Instead we often take the lead and then sit back, surrender possession to the opposition and inevitably end up presenting them with opportunities to get back into it. Its happened countless times and goes right back to Mowbray's first few games vs Derby and Wigan last season when we got ahead and then sat back defending for dear life for long spells.

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We get ahead in a game and then take our foot off the gas. Not sure why that might be but we need to be going and getting a 2nd and 3rd in games with the ability in our attacking ranks and susceptibility to conceding from very little pressure. 

Instead we often take the lead and then sit back, surrender possession to the opposition and inevitably end up presenting them with opportunities to get back into it. Its happened countless times and goes right back to Mowbray's first few games vs Derby and Wigan last season when we got ahead and then sat back defending for dear life for long spells.

You're spot on and don't the opposition know it!

• Backroom

It's been the same since the Bowyer days. The only manager who stopped it briefly was Lambert, but not in a way that hugely helped our results. I guess technically Coyle stopped it from happening too, but that's only because we rarely if ever went ahead under his 'leadership'. 

Archived