BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

For me at the end of last season the positions we needed to address as a matter of urgency were two strikers two wingers and a big nasty centre back.

Why two strikers? We only play 1 up front so we only need another as back up to Graham (or to replace him). Not sure Mowbray is a fan of wingers but as it stands Bennett, Conway, Rothwell, Samuel and Palmer are all capable of playing wide.  I'd love Chapman back or a player of his ilk but does Mogga want to play like that? He's seems to like forwards like AA, Gally, Antonnson and Samuel on one wing at least. 

I think two wingers and two strikers is a pipe-dream. One of each and a CB will be nearer the mark or he's going to have a lot of players who never get on the pitch. 

A bit pie in the sky but could the £7m reference be to Patrick Bamford? Be a bit crazy if Rovers were after him but that figure used by TM was a strange choice. I also remember Phil Hay the Leeds journalist saying we were interested in Kemar Roofe. That may be one possible target.

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I enjoy reading you posts Mani - often written from a perspective of being more involved within the game than I.  

The buying the best value - be it loans or permanent - I get.  I get the all encompassing budget and picking battles etc.  However, surely any formulated plan/approach to procuring players with this budget, would start with the weakest area.  By TM's admission, this has been top end of the pitch.  The first 2 signings (which we have spent a chunk of our budget on) haven't addressed the weakness as we had players in those positions -not great but not the biggest weakness. The widely talked about keeper at the beginning of the close  season - not a priority.  The CB target that has rumbled on - not  a priority (I think we need one but not essential - or wasn't until we loaned out Wharton!).  

So I would have thought we would have addressed the forward options before looking at any of these others.  Spent what was needed/we could afford (even if loans) then move on to the 'lesser' positions.  The longer the window goes on, the less we look like we have any kind of plan.  Especially given he  had a list of targets drawn up at the end of last season that were just awaiting budget clearance from Venkys.

I understand the window has not closed and hope I will be pleasantly surprised - (along with the circa 1000 extra  ST holders that Waggot believes our exciting  signings will attract).

But I just can't escape the feeling that somewhere over the last couple of months, this window/budget/list of targets/plan has gone tits up.

Perhaps, as others have mentioned, we needed to offload a few and that hasn't happened?

Likewise mate. I like the fact that whilst we both often come at things from a diffeeent angle your points are logical and balanced...

in terms of the timing of the deals, they just get done when they get done. It takes so much to come together and this is especially difficult when the buying club isn’t prepared to pay over the odds. So ideally I’m sure TM would’ve loved to get his forward options over the line sooner but it just wasn’t doable.

Not sure if you’ve seen Rich Sharpes article this evening but I read a lot into that. Basically saying that Armstrong and Chapman are way down the pecking order as they have not got the experience or goals in the Championship. Suggested that they were on his ‘D’ list and he was hoping to choose from his ‘’B’ list. I don’t know about you but if Arma and Chapman are on our D list then I’m bloody excited to see who’s on our B!!! ?

8 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

Patrick Bamford has just gone for £7m.

Yeh, just having a look and there is just him and Lewis Grabban who have been sold for around the £7 million mark, so must be one of them two you would think, as you would think it would be a player who's in the championship.

Was looking at Bolton's transfers, they don't seem to have done to bad to say they have no money, Magennis irish international, Donadlson an established decent champ striker not overly exciting but a decent player, Oztumer good signing, Hobbs is a good centre back, Pritchard plenty of potential from Spurs and Wilson, if he can stay injury free would be an astute signing and Olkowski a Polish international with 13 caps.

27 Northern Ireland Centre-Forward   Charlton Athletic England  Charlton 225 Th. €

28 Poland Right-Back   1. FC Köln Germany  1. FC Köln Free Transfer

26 England Defensive Midfield   Birmingham City England  Birmingham Free Transfer

34 Jamaica
England
Centre-Forward   Sheffield United England  Sheffield Utd. Free Transfer

17 England
Ireland
Right Midfield - Everton FC U18 England  Everton U18 Free Transfer

27 England
Turkey
Attacking Midfield   Walsall FC England  Walsall FC Free Transfer

29 England Centre-Back   Nottingham Forest England  Nottm Forest Free Transfer

20 England Right-Back - Arsenal FC U23 England  Arsenal U23 Free Transfer

21 England Central Midfield - Tottenham Hotspur U23 England  Tottenham U23 Free Transfer

30 Ireland
Northern Ireland
Centre-Back   Sunderland AFC England  Sunderland Free Transfer
Edited by AAK

Interesting comments from TM, clearly he’s targeting some more proven players at this level, which can’t be a bad thing. I still think Armstrong may end up here but I’m not sure he feels he can rely on chapman with his injury record. 

Presumably he has some ambitious targets in mind. 

Just now, rovers11 said:

Interesting comments from TM, clearly he’s targeting some more proven players at this level, which can’t be a bad thing. I still think Armstrong may end up here but I’m not sure he feels he can rely on chapman with his injury record. 

He must do if Armstrong and Chapman are D listers!

Just now, rovers11 said:

That’s exactly what I read! Interesting

1 minute ago, DE. said:

Free transfers are generally free for a reason, especially if they're 30 or under, so chances are only a couple of Bolton's signings are likely to make much of an impact.

Looks to me like they’re making the best of a very limited budget to pad out their squad. Loads of my mates are strongly associated to Bolton. I can’t wait to hammer them!! 

Maybe Mowbray is being clever - if he says that Chapman and Armstrong are our two main targets then the fees suddenly jump up? I would love us to be after more proven players however would be over the moon if we got these 2 over the line...

5 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

No thanks, he’s slagged Rovers enough in the past and who can forget the chicken dance. 

The chicken dance he’s done throughout his career? We’re ruling out signings because of players’ chosen past celebrations now? And when has he slagged Rovers off? 

1 minute ago, meadows said:

The chicken dance he’s done throughout his career? We’re ruling out signings because of players’ chosen past celebrations now? And when has he slagged Rovers off? 

Are you saying that that chicken dance in front of the Blackburn End had nothing to do with Venky's? A genuine question, by the way..

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

But Stoke wanting to buy him tho. Mowbray wanted him

Mowbray said “bought” which is past tense as you well know. This implies a target has already been bought. Gallagher has not been bought.

Interesting extra information on Armstrong below

”Armstrong is away in Portugal with his Newcastle team-mates. The 21-year-old came off the bench against Porto last weekend and is likely to get another run-out against Braga tomorrow night. Armstrong – who helped England's Under-21s win the Toulon Tournament this summer – spoke about his future earlier this month while in Ireland. “For me, it’s taking every day as it comes,” said Armstrong, who has made 21 first-team appearances for Newcastle.
“I’m training hard. No-one’s said I’m going out on loan or leaving or staying. I’ve just got to keep on working every day and showing the gaffer what I can do.”

16 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Looks to me like they’re making the best of a very limited budget to pad out their squad. Loads of my mates are strongly associated to Bolton. I can’t wait to hammer them!! 

Big Sam made some very shrewd signings for Bolton without breaking the bank.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Likewise mate. I like the fact that whilst we both often come at things from a diffeeent angle your points are logical and balanced...

in terms of the timing of the deals, they just get done when they get done. It takes so much to come together and this is especially difficult when the buying club isn’t prepared to pay over the odds. So ideally I’m sure TM would’ve loved to get his forward options over the line sooner but it just wasn’t doable.

Not sure if you’ve seen Rich Sharpes article this evening but I read a lot into that. Basically saying that Armstrong and Chapman are way down the pecking order as they have not got the experience or goals in the Championship. Suggested that they were on his ‘D’ list and he was hoping to choose from his ‘’B’ list. I don’t know about you but if Arma and Chapman are on our D list then I’m bloody excited to see who’s on our B!!! ?

Agree with the last bit.  Those would be great as a back up plan lol That said it also indicates missing out on his A list which is what we summised. Hence the lack of incomings.

• K-Hod pinned this topic
  • K-Hod locked this topic
  • J*B unpinned this topic
  • K-Hod unlocked this topic