BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2023 at 20:11, danger19_80 said:

1-1 at home with 15 to go, 4 subs and no sign of him.

He started the most recent match and was subbed around 15 minutes form time.

Villarreal get first win of the season thanks to Gerard Moreno’s goal against RCD Mallorca

Villarreal can smile. The Submarine got their first win of the season with a 0-1 victory over RCD Mallorca thanks to a goal from Gerard Moreno, who became the club’s all-time top scorer (107 goals), surpassing Adriano García. Good news all round.

The biggest novelties in Quique Setién’s XI were the Italian centre-back Matteo Gabbia and the Anglo-Chilean striker Brereton Díaz. Both made their debuts in official matches and were in the starting line-up.

Edited by lraC
Extra info.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Because he hasn't done well in his first game? Pretty impatient of them. I remember Dack didn't have a great start to life here.

Pre season too. He is not going to shine in La Liga. 

Personally I want him to do well. I don't think he will. He's a confidence player and even when it's up he tended to bumble his way through. 

What I do raise a smile too though is the swarms of Chilean fans who'd write on his Instagram "free Ben, free Ben" after every game. They might have a different opinion in 6 months time when he's still not getting minutes. 

• Like 1

I suspect Villarreal made the signing on the basis that if they can get a bit out of him, they have a fair chance of profiting by selling him to an English club.

He could possibly hit it off in La Liga as a centre forward, with an objective to finish moves, but it’ll take a lot for him to succeed as a winger/midfielder in Spain where the demands are different.

It could be a bit like Adam Armstrong in the Premier League. Albeit, Brereton-Diaz’s Chilean experience and the quality of the squad should help him.

That said, he has a habit of surprising people, so who knows. He will need time to try and adapt.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, elwaxo said:

I don't know if this is me reading into it, but isn't he interested in properly learning Spanish, with his mum and Chile, etc? Maybe, if he does slip down a division, it could still be in Spain.

If each parent speaks a different language, I can never understand why each doesn't speak to their child in that language from birth.

My granddaughter in Barcelona speaks three languages fluently. She speaks English with no hint of a Spanish accent. Her school teaches her in Catalan whilst mum and dad communicate to each other in Spanish. Dad speaks to her in English and Mum speaks to her in Catalan.

There is a girl at her school whose father is English. She knows very little of the language because he has never spoken to her in it.

• Like 6