BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's not just is he better than Danny Graham. People are asking is he better than Nuttall.

Obviously it’s much deeper than that, but Graham and Dacks form in that system plays a part in B.B. (and Armstrong, Rothwell, Palmer and others) having less chance to be involved from the start.

People are critical of using two more defensive central players, but unless we start to struggle, Dack/Graham get injured/leave, I can’t see us changing the system.

The time for me to judge the lad and his ability will come with a run of starts. I think it is a lot more difficult for a striker to come into a team and hit the ground running, than say a  a full back. As for Nuttall, many would’ve been up in arms if we’d merely stuck with him as backup to Armstrong/Graham - it’s good to see him getting the goals in U23s though, I can’t see the extra pressure/competition for places being a bad thing! 

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am sure it makes a difference. Even psychologically with the player. Being on loan or signing permanently are different, where the deal is concrete in January or not. 

Either way, the months between summer and January would have been enough to allow him to bed in. I would be expecting him to feature more after Christmas. 

He is here permanently, he has signed long term, the only reason your mindset could apply is if there was any doubt that it would become permanent afterwards,

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He is indeed, but then he’s 24 next month. I wonder how good he was at 19 and if he would have been in our team or on the bench? 

When he was Brereton's age he played 9 league games in a Southampton team that finished 7th in the Premier League under Ronald Koeman. So safe to say that he would have been in our squad.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

When he was Brereton's age he played 9 league games in a Southampton team that finished 7th in the Premier League under Ronald Koeman. So safe to say that he would have been in our squad.

All as sub I believe. I think I read he didn’t get a start till the following season. I’m sure he’d have been in the squad, I’m not sure he’d have been the fulcrum of the team.

It's embarrassing now.

Remember the cameos the likes of Derbyshire and Paul Gallagher amongst others used to produce at a much higher level and consider non of them went on to be greats or worth big money when young but all in all had decent careers. Then consider this lad ?

• Like 1

Said it in the match thread but this CF/CM turned winger sh*te that TM keeps persisting with has to end. Yes Armstrong and Brereton (as an example) are performing very poorly but it can’t be helping being played out of position week in week out. 

Get some bloody wingers in to play the role of a winger. TM does worry me - not rocket science is it.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Reedy You're A Star said:

Not his fault we lost, but that was shocking. The lad's never a winger, so if he's not going to play upfront, leave him on the bench.

Maybe not his fault but he squandered our best chance, Palmer played the right ball to him and we were 3 on 2 and he just dinked it to the keeper 

To me, that shows a complete lack of confidence. Not really surprising when you just get 15 minutes at the end of the game shoved out on the wing. Mowbray's in real danger of ruining him, if he hasn't already. Perhaps a spell in the U23's to get game time and that goal scoring sharpness might help? On current showings they might as well have set fire to that £7m "investment".

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Said it in the match thread but this CF/CM turned winger sh*te that TM keeps persisting with has to end. Yes Armstrong and Brereton (as an example) are performing very poorly but it can’t be helping being played out of position week in week out. 

Get some bloody wingers in to play the role of a winger. TM does worry me - not rocket science is it.

If Samuel was fit he'd be starting out there as well !  It's pathetic really it's creating a problem when there needn't be one, we moaned about Bowyer at times playing square pegs in round holes but I don't remember him playing strikers on the wings every week !

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It's embarrassing now.

Remember the cameos the likes of Derbyshire and Paul Gallagher amongst others used to produce at a much higher level and consider non of them went on to be greats or worth big money when young but all in all had decent careers. Then consider this lad ?

Every time I’ve seen Rothwell come on in the second half, he’s looked good too,yet isn’t getting a look in. Brereton looked way out of his depth today. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If Samuel was fit he'd be starting out there as well !  It's pathetic really it's creating a problem when there needn't be one, we moaned about Bowyer at times playing square pegs in round holes but I don't remember him playing strikers on the wings every week !

He’s been getting away with it big time from the media regarding Brereton and to a lesser extent, my huge gripe of him playing CF’s and CM’s out wide. Hopefully we can buck the form book but if as expected it’s 1 win in 10 come mid Jan then I can imagine he’ll have to start explaining to blingy if not the media!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

Since my initial assessment a couple of months ago, I've not really commented on his performances.

However that was one of the worst substitute cameos I've ever seen. It looked like someone had been plucked out of the crowd and thrown on.

It would be some turnaround after his first 6 month if he did become a player we sell on for profit.

Norwich bring Jordan Rhodes off the bench every week whilst we bring on Brereton !

If we'd paid nowt for him hardly or he'd come through our academy you'd just view it as they are streets ahead of us in financial terms but when the fee, alleged add ons and contract get thrown in for BB that excuse flies out the window.

• Like 1

What really concerns me is the implications for our future spending. If this lad is Mowbray's marque signing he may not get another chance to splash the cash. If the Chicken Chokers were advised by somebody that Brereton was a good investment they may be thinking they've had their fingers burnt again.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

• Backroom

The way Mowbray has been dealing with Brereton is like he's sulking over having a player bought who he never asked for. Keeping him on the bench despite the enormous price tag, only bringing him on to play the last 15 minutes - almost always out of position, and even when our main striker IS injured and a space is available the manager picks midfielders to play there instead.

All very odd. 

• Like 2