BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Ryan Nyambe Appreciation Thread

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Have you got a problem with my posts ? It’s just that you seem to be trolling me lately.

No, I am not trolling you, (I don't actually know what that is). I just don't see how, the signing of left-backs can be a guage as to Nyambes abilities, as he is a right-back ? 

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

So Mowbray announces his departure and Nyambes agent opens talks again with the club about a new deal.

Coincidence?

I came here to say basically the same thing, though in my heart I knew it had already been said.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I came here to say basically the same thing, though in my heart I knew it had already been said.

Who can blame him, he’s been the fall guy for years. Best right back in a four at the club. When we went to a back four towards the end of the season Mowbray should have had the balls to tell one of the centre halves ( possibly Wharton ) they were on the bench. Instead he bottled and played a centre half at right back. It worked against Preston because they’d nobody quick out on the left. Against Bournemouth they exploited it.

• Like 1

I know its a popular narrative but I see no reason to buy into the theory that the players dislike Mowbray, it's just an easy and lazy conclusion that people come to based on their views on Mowbray himself. 

I don't think that Nyambe has been victimised or treated poorly under Mowbray either, he is not a perfect right back by any means, he is a very good one on one defender and very poor going forward, but he has somewhat developed in the last few years. He flirted with the first team as a youngster under Coyle and became a regular under Mowbray who has not really signed a strong alternative to him throughout that time nor has he dropped him for a prolonged period of time. He is often sacrificed when we need a goal but that is understandable considering his attacking limitations. He was dropped for a spell in our second season up seemingly just to cram Bennett it, that was a stupid decision by Mowbray but it was only for about 10 games if I recall, and also he has been dropped for the odd game for the far inferior Rankin Costello, but in the main and especially considering his succeptibility to muscle injuries, he has started the vast, vast majority of games. He has missed the last 2 but the first selection was justified with a convincing win and the second was a case of same again. Rich Sharpe has suggested that it was Nyambe's agent rather than the player himself who wanted to try the market.

The most likely scenario is that they have not had offers coming in, neither are Premier League players and I suspect that the top sides in this league including any that come down would also think they can do better.

Out of them 2 and Rothwell, the 2 that have resumed talks to me are more important and I would be delighted for all of their flaws to see them stay, but I won't hold my breath until they sign. We would no doubt replace them with inferior players on a budget of peanuts.

• Like 1

Say what you like but it's a hell of a coincidence. Less than a week after Mowbray says he is going, a contract rebel who we have repeatedly said on here doesn't get what he deserves under Mowbray, wants to sit down and talk again. Put whatever spin on it you like, but that's suspicious as hell to me and I think tells the story.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know its a popular narrative but I see no reason to buy into the theory that the players dislike Mowbray, it's just an easy and lazy conclusion that people come to based on their views on Mowbray himself. 

I don't think that Nyambe has been victimised or treated poorly under Mowbray either, he is not a perfect right back by any means, he is a very good one on one defender and very poor going forward, but he has somewhat developed in the last few years. He flirted with the first team as a youngster under Coyle and became a regular under Mowbray who has not really signed a strong alternative to him throughout that time nor has he dropped him for a prolonged period of time. He is often sacrificed when we need a goal but that is understandable considering his attacking limitations. He was dropped for a spell in our second season up seemingly just to cram Bennett it, that was a stupid decision by Mowbray but it was only for about 10 games if I recall, and also he has been dropped for the odd game for the far inferior Rankin Costello, but in the main and especially considering his succeptibility to muscle injuries, he has started the vast, vast majority of games. He has missed the last 2 but the first selection was justified with a convincing win and the second was a case of same again. Rich Sharpe has suggested that it was Nyambe's agent rather than the player himself who wanted to try the market.

The most likely scenario is that they have not had offers coming in, neither are Premier League players and I suspect that the top sides in this league including any that come down would also think they can do better.

Out of them 2 and Rothwell, the 2 that have resumed talks to me are more important and I would be delighted for all of their flaws to see them stay, but I won't hold my breath until they sign. We would no doubt replace them with inferior players on a budget of peanuts.

He has been substituted several times this season and an inferior right back replaced him. I remember Mowbray dropping him for a game at Millwall because 'his numbers were high'. If I were a manager I would want every players numbers to be high. Mowbray has weakened the team by dropping/substituting Nyambe on numerous occasions, to me a case of cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Who is the best right back at the club?

• Like 7

Just now, arbitro said:

He has been substituted several times this season and an inferior right back replaced him. I remember Mowbray dropping him for a game at Millwall because 'his numbers were high'. If I were a manager I would want every players numbers to be high. Mowbray has weakened the team by dropping/substituting Nyambe on numerous occasions, to me a case of cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Who is the best right back at the club?

So him being "dropped" to avoid the high risk of an injury keeping him out for much longer is treating him poorly? Baring in mind that he does pick up a number of muscle injuries which is understandable considering his physicality.

He does sacrifice Nyambe when we need a goal but always for a more attacking player which is fair enough.

Nyambe has been first choice right back in every season throughout Mowbray's tenure, across the whole of each season. Only for brief occasions has he been taken out and usually reinstated very quickly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So him being "dropped" to avoid the high risk of an injury keeping him out for much longer is treating him poorly? Baring in mind that he does pick up a number of muscle injuries which is understandable considering his physicality.

He does sacrifice Nyambe when we need a goal but always for a more attacking player which is fair enough.

Nyambe has been first choice right back in every season throughout Mowbray's tenure, across the whole of each season. Only for brief occasions has he been taken out and usually reinstated very quickly.

You seem to be falling for Mowbrays patter. Why weaken the team by playing an inferior player when he is fit, just working too hard. And playing our captain and arguably best centre half at right back further weakens us wouldn't you say?

Why has Nyambe not been on the bench recently but Zeefuik has? He is only back from long term injury buts gets on the bench ahead of a fit Nyambe?

Again who is the best right back at the club?

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

You seem to be falling for Mowbrays patter. Why weaken the team by playing an inferior player when he is fit, just working too hard. And playing our captain and arguably best centre half at right back further weakens us wouldn't you say?

Why has Nyambe not been on the bench recently but Zeefuik has? He is only back from long term injury buts gets on the bench ahead of a fit Nyambe?

Again who is the best right back at the club?

Nyambe is the best right back at the club, and although he's not one of the very best in this league or indeed capable of the league above at this stage, he is a very solid full back option at this level, 100%. He has been Mowbray's first choice for the majority of every season under Mowbray which doesn't really fall in line with being treated so badly.

And it's not about "falling for his patter," you seem to have fallen into the trap of being so keen (understandably) to see Mowbray go that every single thing can be turned into a criticism of him.

Like I said, there have been a few very short-lived spells that Nyambe has not played, some of which I disagree with. The longest was around 10 games at the start of our second season up, maybe less, was due to Mowbray wanting to stick his (useless) captain in wherever he could. There has been the occasional other game where Rankin Costello has played a game or 2, and also the odd rest that he's given Nyambe which clearly isnt something that you can stomach. I can't question the team that won 4-1 at Preston nor selecting the exact same one again the week after.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Doubt it.

Although the twist to the twist would be Nyambe signs.... then so does Mowbray.

Ha ha, could you imagine how gutted Nyambe would be if that happened?

Anyhow, cautiously optimistic about this surprise development...... not convinced Mowbray's off until the Club make some official announcement on the matter but it would be a fantastic boost if Nyambe and Lenihan end up staying.

Fuck off Mowbray, welcome back Ryan.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe is the best right back at the club, and although he's not one of the very best in this league or indeed capable of the league above at this stage, he is a very solid full back option at this level, 100%. He has been Mowbray's first choice for the majority of every season under Mowbray which doesn't really fall in line with being treated so badly.

And it's not about "falling for his patter," you seem to have fallen into the trap of being so keen (understandably) to see Mowbray go that every single thing can be turned into a criticism of him.

Like I said, there have been a few very short-lived spells that Nyambe has not played, some of which I disagree with. The longest was around 10 games at the start of our second season up, maybe less, was due to Mowbray wanting to stick his (useless) captain in wherever he could. There has been the occasional other game where Rankin Costello has played a game or 2, and also the odd rest that he's given Nyambe which clearly isnt something that you can stomach. I can't question the team that won 4-1 at Preston nor selecting the exact same one again the week after.

Nyambe was injured for some of those games too. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That 10 game spell cost us massively. Bennett was absolutely dire and I can’t remember if it was an injury to him or a red card that finally opened the door for Nyambe. We had the first quarter of the season with him as an unused sub, a disgraceful decision. As always, our point per game haul is significantly higher with Nyambe than without him. That particular season of you extrapolate it across the season it would’ve got us playoffs.

Have a look back at the stats with and without him I’ve posted for this season. Leaving him out for any other reason than injury or suspension is severely detrimental to our team, in fact I’d go as far as to call it sabotage.

We have suffered with him being subbed off far more times than we have benefitted by introducing a more attacking player too.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Nyambe was injured for some of those games too. 

No he wasn’t. He was on the bench for most and first for each and every one.

Edited by Miller11

Just now, Miller11 said:

That 10 game spell cost us massively. Bennett was absolutely dire and I can’t remember if it was an injury to him or a red card that finally opened the door for Nyambe. We had the first quarter of the season with him as an unused sub, a disgraceful decision. As always, our point per game haul is significantly higher with Nyambe than without him. That particular season of you extrapolate it across the season it would’ve got us playoffs.

Have a look back at the stats with and without him I’ve posted for this season. Leaving him out for any other reason than injury or suspension is severely detrimental to our team, in fact I’d go as far as to call it sabotage.

We have suffered with him being subbed off far more times than we have benefitted by introducing a more attacking player too.

Like I said, I totally disagreed with the decision, but that was more about squeezing in the captain rather than a "disgraceful" decision to punish and humiliate Nyambe. That was the longest such spell of Nyambe being out of the team too, so to make out as if him and Mowbray don't get on or as if hes been unfairly treated or unfavoured is totally untrue IMO.

The number of appearances he has missed is much smaller so it is hard to get a fair sample based solely off that, a couple of particularly difficult games missed for example and a couple of losses there would skew things.

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

No he wasn’t. He was on the bench for each and every one.

If we're talking about the games at the start of 18/19, he wasn't. He was injured for the Fulham game and didn't make the bench - even though we had some kids there to make up the numbers. Not sure if he was back straight away after that one, but I'm pretty sure I remember Mowbray talking about not risking his hamstrings too soon.

Obviously that doesn't account for the full run, but fitness was an issue. 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

The number of appearances he has missed is much smaller so it is hard to get a fair sample based solely off that, a couple of particularly difficult games missed for example and a couple of losses there would skew things.

That’s not true. He has played 62% of our total minutes this season. The Fulham game is what really skews things. A third of the goals conceded while Nyambe has been on the pitch were in that one match. It’s undeniable that defensively and results wise we do better with him in the team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Did you see the empirical evidence posted on here by Miller11 which proves beyond doubt we are a better side with Nyambe in the team? I want Rovers to have the best chances of winning every game and leaving Nyambe out diminishes that. Lenihan and Rothwell are in the same position but have played recently - I have to ask why.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spartakfenni said:

Is that more “inside information” or just you speculating?

It's my opinion. If I had some 'inside information' I would have said that in my post

5 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Personally, I don't rate Nyambe, but it's additional funds in the budget if he does stay, as we'd only need one right back instead of two.

For me, We don't need any right back signing if Nyambe re-signs. Plus we got James Brown has his back up and challenge for the right back spot. 

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Source?

The LT this morning is reported that Nyambe's agent has re enter talks 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

His spells out of the side were only short lived because his replacements proved sub standard and he had no choice to put him back in.

Give me one logical reason why first Bennett was put in at right back at the expense of Nyambe and then last season Costello put in ahead of Nyambe?

If as you say nothing untoward, explain to me why Zeefuik was preferred on the bench the last 2 games?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's my opinion. If I had some 'inside information' I would have said that in my post

For me, We don't need any right back signing if Nyambe re-signs. Plus we got James Brown has his back up and challenge for the right back spot. 

The LT this morning is reported that Nyambe's agent has re enter talks 

Brown needs regular football, how can we be sure that he is capable of being back up to a fairly injury prone full back (if he re-signs) and how is it good for him to play here and there?

The same with Vale, he couldn't score regularly at Halifax, he needs to go and get regular game time in the football league, not make up the numbers with no evidence that either is up to standard.

33 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Did you see the empirical evidence posted on here by Miller11 which proves beyond doubt we are a better side with Nyambe in the team? I want Rovers to have the best chances of winning every game and leaving Nyambe out diminishes that. Lenihan and Rothwell are in the same position but have played recently - I have to ask why.

Showed some detail below, but as I said, I would prefer Nyambe in the team, as he almost always is.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

That’s not true. He has played 62% of our total minutes this season. The Fulham game is what really skews things. A third of the goals conceded while Nyambe has been on the pitch were in that one match. It’s undeniable that defensively and results wise we do better with him in the team.

Another thing you have to factor in is that when he doesn't play, our alternatives there especially Rankin Costello are dreadful, so we are replacing our likely best full back with someone who is a total weakness.

But I would agree that in general, I would much prefer him to be in the team, and the majority of his tenure, so has Mowbray.

This season, he missed 3 games early on through injury. He then hobbled off in the defeat at Huddersfield and missed the following Blackpool game in which Magloire started. He then missed the Derby game I think again through injury, and a chunk of 5 games in a row through another injury. So the only 3 occasions that he missed out were the Forest home game in which Zeefuik was given a game instead of him, the one and only time that has happened through choice. And also the last 2 games, the first of which we won 4-1 and the second one it made sense to keep things the same.

My point has never been that I'd rather him not start, just that this idea that he has been victimised by Mowbray is far fetched.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

His spells out of the side were only short lived because his replacements proved sub standard and he had no choice to put him back in.

Give me one logical reason why first Bennett was put in at right back at the expense of Nyambe and then last season Costello put in ahead of Nyambe?

If as you say nothing untoward, explain to me why Zeefuik was preferred on the bench the last 2 games?

I've already said that I disagreed with the decision regarding Bennett, the issue was more that he seemed to want to cram Bennett (who was always shit) in as his captain rather than some horrid treatment of Nyambe, but it was the wrong decision, and wasn't for long. Rankin Costello was an occasional choice again that I disagreed with, presumably trying to have more attacking threat from full back in a team that at the time was trying to play possession football, before realising that Rankin Costello wasnt the man to do that.

We have a fully fit squad bar Khadra and Markanday, Johnson, Davenport, Rankin Costello and Giles also all failed to be selected. As I said, we won the first game 4-1 so the squad named cant really be questioned, and we went with it again. 

Nyambe has deserved to start in quite a few games where he didn't. Hopefully we can all agree on that.

Whether that happened through intentional victimisation, idiotic management, or Nyambe being a nice humble lad who rarely kicks up a fuss so he is often the one to make way for whoever the manager feels the need to wedge in...it's still mismanagement, it's still unfair on Nyambe, and it only makes sense that he would have wanted to move away from Mowbray.

(I'm aware the humble lad scenario could be resolved by the player kicking up a fuss rather than leaving, which is a form of standing up for himself anyway, but I've certainly met people who would rather quietly leave a place, situation or person than confront it)

• Like 2