BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Ryan Nyambe Appreciation Thread

We can dress it up in as many different ways we want but the reality is since a last round of talks last year his agent has refused to engage with anyone at Ewood despite repeated efforts from Rovers. 
The LTB scenario I painted was to emphasise that to date not a single club has shown any interest in signing RN and NOT a single bud has been received despite the players performances in the team. In fact before Xmas there was one club sniffing around Lenihan and it was based on the manager having previously been interested in him whilst at the helm of another club but the interest was never followed up. The only real interest we have seen was bournemouths pursuit of Rothwell which floundered badly.

Bristol City quoted as laying huge wages well faff me they are about to land in the derby zone which again says it all about boom or bust

• 1 month later...

Congrats to Ryan on his 200th game..... hope he plays and the wooden top in the dugout keeps him on the field for 90 minutes instead of substituting him as usual by rote. He's had his critics over the years and there are still parts of his game that can improve but has matured into an excellent defender.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Transfermarkt has him already at 202 senior appearances, no goals, 7 assists at senior level.

Nyambe Capture.JPG

3 of the 6 EFL Trophy matches were for the Development Squad in 2016/17, the other 3 for the first team in the League One season.

I stand corrected if Nyambe was injured or there was a good tactical reason that I'm overlooking for subbing him for Johnson after Edun's red card but to me it looks like another unfair and damaging decision against the player. 

With his pace, he can, when on form, be one of our most effective players. Whilst acknowledging he has limitations, none of the rest of the team has his speed and taking him off weakens the side.

If Mowbray was intent on switching to a back four, he should have had the guts to take off one of the three CBs. Or, put Wharton LB.

As mentioned here by others, Nyambe's refusal to renew his contract, thus far, is very understandable given the manager's clear scepticism of him.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, riverholmes said:

I stand corrected if Nyambe was injured or there was a good tactical reason that I'm overlooking for subbing him for Johnson after Edun's red card but to me it looks like another unfair and damaging decision against the player. 

With his pace, he can, when on form, be one of our most effective players. Whilst acknowledging he has limitations, none of the rest of the team has his speed and taking him off weakens the side.

If Mowbray was intent on switching to a back four, he should have had the guts to take off one of the three CBs. Or, put Wharton LB.

As mentioned here by others, Nyambe's refusal to renew his contract, thus far, is very understandable given the manager's clear scepticism of him.

Bizarre decision to take your fullback off and replace him with a CB - especially a CB that wasn't playing particularly well.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

He'd be mad to renew his contract here with Mowbray still in charge. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

No Nyambe in the squad against Bournemouth and no mention about any injury from Mowbray in the pre-match discussion. Lenihan continued at RB after his excellent showing there against PNE and Zeefuik was on the bench.

Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like Nyambe has been dropped from the matchday squad and may well have played his last game for Rovers. He hasn't lived up to his potential at Rovers - like almost every player in the squad, not helped by terrible tactics, at times but he seems to be Mowbray's fall guy. Like Rothwell, earlier in his career, Nyambe was the one Mowbray would publicly critique, whilst other players repeatedly failed to perform and were shielded and favoured by management.

He's probably the most physically complete and one of the most hard-working players in the team and has multi-tasked in a variety of roles. Last season, he got exposed often but was left unprotected by Gallagher on the wing, invariably, and was trying to cover the shoddy central defence, whilst getting down the wing, into the opposition box, and defending the full back area, virtually, singlehandedly.

He reminds me of a very lesser Brett Emerton, in that he gives his all, has so many fantastic physical attributes, had some stunning games, but hasn't been able to get his game together and may lack something in terms of self-belief to really achieve his potential. Nonetheless, he has been a very good player for Rovers, deserved better from the manager and, hopefully, will have a long and distinguished career, wherever he goes. One things for sure, barring some upgrade signings, our defence will be weaker without him as there is no-one, defensively and discounting loanees, currently in the squad who has his pace.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 6

• Backroom

With Nyambe it feels like his strengths have continued to get stronger, but his weaknesses have never been addressed. The flaws in his game, particularly when it comes to the attacking side of things, have never really improved which gives him a set of somewhat lop-sided abilities. We'll probably never know if this was down to poor coaching or the player himself, but I feel like if Ryan can work under a coaching team that focuses on his weaknesses he could become a very, very good RB/RWB. He has all the physical attributes, he just needs help on the technical side of his game. At 24 he still has a couple of years to really develop that, and for his sake I hope he does, as whenever I've seen him his commitment and attitude have never been in question.

• Like 4

Never rated him, never will. Can find a right back who offers exactly the same as him for very little money if we need to. Well, an adequate recruitment team would anyway 🤣

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

nyambe should be an absolute machine down the right,if tony had ever bothered with wide players in their right place he could have had nyambe bombing down the wing on the overlap,with his running power we`de have had a right weapon,he never got the best out of ryans attributes

Think Nyambe has to take his share of responsibility for this too. He's not that young anymore, has been played as a wingback with licence to get forward this season, and his attacking output has been appalling. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if he did a 180 degree turn and signed a new deal, but Nyambe's been given every chance to contribute going forward and hasn't taken it. His performance against Stoke justified him being dropped for me, and it speaks volumes that Lenihan as make shift fullback put in better deliveries than Nyambe has managed in all his time here. 

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Never rated him, never will. Can find a right back who offers exactly the same as him for very little money if we need to. Well, an adequate recruitment team would anyway 🤣

decent championship player

30 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Think Nyambe has to take his share of responsibility for this too. He's not that young anymore, has been played as a wingback with licence to get forward this season, and his attacking output has been appalling. . 

exactly why I not angry or sad he is going. Think we can do better

25 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A few stats from this season…

When Nyambe is on the pitch we concede a goal on average every 109 minutes.

When Nyambe is off the pitch we concede a goal on average every 60 minutes.

Goals conceded with Nyambe - 23*

Goals conceded without Nyambe - 26

Nyambe has played 62% of total minutes this season

*This includes 7 in one game against Fulham

In the 21 games where Nyambe has played the full 90 minutes we have taken 38 points.

In the other 24 games we have taken 28 points.

Clean sheets with Nyambe - 11

Clean sheets without Nyambe - 1

The lad’s a good defender, no doubt about that. Best one on one defender we have.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

In the 21 games where Nyambe has played the full 90 minutes we have taken 38 points.

Borderline premier league quality at defending, no question. 

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Great analysis. I have long felt for some reasons it was personal with Mowbray.

• Like 7

On 30/04/2022 at 19:25, RevidgeBlue said:

What other manager would exclude from the squad a home grown player with over 200 appearances for the Club in what would have been his last home appearance but include a loanee who hasn't featured for more than half a season due to injury?.

Absolutely disgusting.

If Ryan Nyambe can't be persuaded to stay by a new manager I will be really upset by his departure. In terms of value to the team he'll be by far the hardest of the three amigos to adequately replace imo.

Wish him well with his future career and hope he gets treated better elsewhere should he leave. 

Agreed.Absolute joke he wasn't at least on the bench the last 2 games.

We won't be signing Zeefuik so why was he on the bench yesterday ahead of Nyambe.

Mowbray definitely has an issue with Nyambe

• Like 6

13 hours ago, islander200 said:

Agreed.Absolute joke he wasn't at least on the bench the last 2 games.

We won't be signing Zeefuik so why was he on the bench yesterday ahead of Nyambe.

Mowbray definitely has an issue with Nyambe

Definitely should have been in the squad but clearly the contract situation has made it easy for Mowbray to leave him out. Maybe we should have left out Lenihan and Rothwell and given others a game. Joke management again.

• Like 2

An additional stat…

when Nyambe has played over 45 minutes we average 1.8 points per game

In games where Nyambe plays less than 45 minutes, or not at all, we average 0.9 points per game

Edited by Miller11
  • Like 2