BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Irony there is that we've made much more selling defenders than any other area! 

Mainly because we sold Jones and Samba when we were still in the PL. Bodes well for Magloire though. A couple of injuries and he may make the bench.

I could actually believe that Mowbray thinks Nyambe could now be his best cover in the middle. Bennett at right back. It all just seems very makeshift though.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I think the lack of ability to pass the ball quickly is, with a couple of exceptions lacking throughout the squad. You have correctly identified several defenders who can't and In central midfield none of Travis, Smallwood or Evans can do this. Other players such as Bennett also fall into this category. We are far too ponderous when we have the ball and easy to play against.

It's easy to pass the ball quickly when you have plenty of options all showing for the ball. We don't work hard enough off the ball, we don't run far enough when we have the ball, we don't make the pitch big enough when we have the ball and lots of times we're playing standing still football.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Another daily implosion on the forum!

has anyone considered that it might just be kidology on Mowbray behalf? There isn’t anyone on this forum that’s has a clue what is or what is not going on behind the scenes! 

I get that people are frustrated but that is borne out of not thinking about the bigger picture! Anyone who thinks we are not going to see a new defender or forward coming in are deluded, things take time just look at Championship signings in total, there hasn’t been many. TM will be looking at how the players react post close season, he will be monitoring and analysing his options that is for sure.

I think he actually knows what he is doing far more than people on here give him credit for ?

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I’ll judge him by his actions. If he said all the right things at this moment in time but failed to improve the squad before August, I’d feel the same way. Positive intentions mean nothing if he can’t deliver. I’m not getting carried away with his recent comments in the same way that I didn’t get carried away with his previous ones. 

We'll be scrambling around at 4-30pm on the last day of the Transfer Window as per usual. We'll be scrapping for what other clubs didn't want.

• Like 2

This is gone crazy. No mod or anyone else is going to convince me this isn't negativity central. Over the last few pages about 1 in 10 posts, at most, isn't complaining. I'm not expecting glowing positivity, but this isn't even constructive stuff, it's just incessant moaning. 

Hard to read. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

If we signed Cristiano Ronaldo tomorrow these pages would be full of very happy people even though the window would be open for a while to come. Quite rightly people would express their delight.

As we've done very little business and the manager is now seemingly backtracking people are voicing their concerns, quite rightly in my view given the tragic defence we had last season. 

Only one way to stop that - sign some decent players who will improve us!

Too old. He'd be another Murphy. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

This is gone crazy. No mod or anyone else is going to convince me this isn't negativity central. Over the last few pages about 1 in 10 posts, at most, isn't complaining. I'm not expecting glowing positivity, but this isn't even constructive stuff, it's just incessant moaning. 

Hard to read. 

I'd definitely agree that some are being too harsh tbh. But then those same posters would say the other posters are being too kind. 

However, the sun's out and I've had a new pair of trainers delivered, so I'm not going to stress about it too much, if I'm honest!

• Like 1

People need to stop hanging on every word of the manager. The Telegraph is almost obliged to feature some Rovers crap every day but It's often the same old regurgitated stuff or contentless interviews.

We will sign players, we always have and always will. We are also terrible at predicting if they will be any good or not. After getting excited over previous duds, I just judge them when they've actually played. 

The good ones always get injured anyway ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Agree. Let’s wait and see what the starting line-up is come August.

It would be great to sign a Premiership quality defender and a striker but we probably all know that’s pretty unlikely.

A Championship quality defender would do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Another daily implosion on the forum!

has anyone considered that it might just be kidology on Mowbray behalf? There isn’t anyone on this forum that’s has a clue what is or what is not going on behind the scenes! 

I get that people are frustrated but that is borne out of not thinking about the bigger picture! Anyone who thinks we are not going to see a new defender or forward coming in are deluded, things take time just look at Championship signings in total, there hasn’t been many. TM will be looking at how the players react post close season, he will be monitoring and analysing his options that is for sure.

I think he actually knows what he is doing far more than people on here give him credit for ?

I don’t see the need for these posts that try to shut down discussion on the forum.

Rovers local mouthpiece, Rich Sharpe, has a story published today that says Mowbray isn’t as concerned about defenders as he was - despite not signing any and our most public target signing for local rivals.

Fans speculate why this might be and suggest that this is folly and we should still be looking for at least one.

Others fans jump on the perceived “negativite fans” and say “Mowbray must be bluffing he know what he is doing”.

When it turns out that he wasn’t bluffing they then say “we didn’t expect anyone, Mowbray even said he wasn’t planning to and he knows what he is doing”.

We had one of the worst defences in the division last season and this needs sorting. Agreed? So if we don’t sort it then you would be disappointed, yes? You won’t just change your mind and back Mowbray anyway? “He knows more than you lot on here, I know who I trust”.

Personally, I’m totally happy to judge Mowbray on what he does than what he says and disagree with him when he contradicts himself or doesn’t address the glaringly obvious. That’s what fan messageboards are all about!

• Like 6

So this is everyone we've talked about so far really on this 253 page thread. Reds are already at other clubs, Greens are here and Rae speaks for himself.

Frank Fielding - Joe Hart - Scott Carson - Jon McCracken - Joshua Rae (23's trialist)

Liam Lindsay - Jake Cooper - Grant Hanley - Patrick Bauer - Jack Rodwell

Ovie Ejaria - Will Vaulks - Jack Payne - Brandon O'Neill - Adam Maher - Paddy McNair - Ben Whiteman -  James Morrison - Stewart Downing

Sam Gallagher 

Any names I've missed here?

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

So this is everyone we've talked about so far really on this 253 page thread. Reds are already at other clubs, Greens are here and Rae speaks for himself.

Frank Fielding - Joe Hart - Scott Carson - Jon McCracken - Joshua Rae (23's trialist)

Liam Lindsay - Jake Cooper - Grant Hanley - Patrick Bauer - Jack Rodwell

Ovie Ejaria - Will Vaulks - Jack Payne - Brandon O'Neill - Adam Maher - Paddy McNair - Ben Whiteman -  James Morrison - Stewart Downing

Sam Gallagher 

Any names I've missed here?

Thanks for that. Good way to keep track.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

It’s in a bad enough a state to begin with if Lenihan’s fit. I wouldn’t like to contemplate him being injured. That’s the only thing that would be worse than selling him.

Interesting stats...

Money made by Venkys Rovers from selling defenders (£45.49):

Jones £17.37m

Samba £12.6m

Martin Olsson £2.61m

Dann £1.65m (!)

Marcus Olsson £590k

Hanley £5.94m

Duffy £4.73m

Money spent on buying defenders (£9.72m):

Dann £6.12m (two-thirds of our entire spend on defenders - and sold at a huge loss)

Orr £1.62m (!)

Duffy £1.71m (our only defender with a financial return on investment).

Bell £270k

This suggests that we aren’t likely to be spending on defenders and why our interest in Bauer as a free transfer was so important and also such a missed opportunity. I bet the air was blue down at Brockhall. (You’ve only yourself to blame, Tony).

I notice also that Mowbray is now “admitting that his clamour for defenders isn’t as strong as it once was”. That doesn’t bode well at all.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17738118.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-wants-to-strengthen-across-board/

(Headline in the paper copy is a much more negative sounding “Boss on the defensive...”).

No they certainly don't invest in defenders although I think that Dann figure skews it a bit that was a bogus figure chucked out to pacify Brum fans according to the Red Top handbag carrier who was well in the circle at the time.

Cost around half that in total and got back about what we paid.  Now they won't spend sod all on defence and my thought is that's where future profit lies in the shape of Raya, Nyambe and Lenihen.  Bell was probably signed with similar intent but that hasn't worked out yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Since Mowbray came we have needed some big, dominant centre half and it was almost as if he suddenly realised this towards the end of last season when he said as much. To vast majority welcomed his comments but now he is back tracking on the strength of a few dead rubbers. 

Even Coyle could see that we needed a big dominant centre back which is why he tried to sign Ba in the January window. Mowbray is half way through his 5th window now and still hasn't addressed the issue.

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

No they certainly don't invest in defenders although I think that Dann figure skews it a bit that was a bogus figure chucked out to pacify Brum fans according to the Red Top handbag carrier who was well in the circle at the time.

Cost around half that in total and got back about what we paid.  Now they won't spend sod all on defence and my thought is that's where future profit lies in the shape of Raya, Nyambe and Lenihen.  Bell was probably signed with similar intent but that hasn't worked out yet.

Thanks for the correction. All figures were sourced from transfermarkt. That makes it even more stark.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Nixon saying rovers and Brentford in discussion about a fee for Raya and we are looking for replacements 

I think that’s one that will happen 

Edited by Tom

Just now, Tom said:

Nixon saying rovers and Brentford in discussion about a fee for Raya and we are looking for replacements 

If we can get a good fee then it's bearable. Better Raya than Lenihan or Dack (who are the only three that could actually demand good money)

Somone like Scott Carson could come in for free and do as well as David Raya for a year, and hopefully the funds are used on the defence, not that I think they will be.

Just now, Tom said:

Bad move in my eyes. Raya gets far too much stick. The lads still young. He's got years & years to learn and get better.

• Like 6

If Mowbrays cashes in on Raya to get a bit of spends and has a decent keeper lined up maybe free or loan to replace him I don't think that is too bad at all.

A crafty way to free up some funds without really making us weaker, the kind of wheeler dealing a savvy manager would do.

• Like 1