BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

The man's getting interviewed everyday by the Lancashire telegraph, he's going to come out with some crap as he'll run out of things to say. Personally I'll judge at the end of the window whether he's done well or not. 

His job is not to do Mr. Sharp's job for him by giving him an interview every day. He'd be better to say listen I'll give you heads up when I've something to say.

Mr Sharp has to accept that there will be days when there is no news so he will have to do some investigating to fill his column inches

• Like 1

Just now, arbitro said:

I think Mowbray is dumbing down expectations before a ball has been kicked and my take is that he simply didn't get what he was expecting in terms of his budget. My view is that the Indians have tightened the purse strings and Mowbray is working with that. His interview in India where he talked about 'having to sell a Bradley Dack' and 'polishing up' cheap young players was telling to me.

think he is regretting his rallying cry at the end of last season. I thought it most unlike him at the time

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

think he is regretting his rallying cry at the end of last season. I thought it most unlike him at the time

I think it was at the Supporters Consultation that he really sounded off about how poor we were defensively and he actually garnered some support as at last he seemed to have woken up to the fact that defending is our Achilles Heel and some faith in him was restored.

That interview has done him absolutely no favours in my opinion.

• Like 4

Just now, arbitro said:

I think it was at the Supporters Consultation that he really sounded off about how poor we were defensively and he actually garnered some support as at last he seemed to have woken up to the fact that defending is our Achilles Heel and some faith in him was restored.

Exactly and it was most unlike him to do it. It should be his yardstick which he should be judged by the poweres that be. In business it should be classed as his mission statement for next season and what he should be judged against.

Suspect he sold a diffreent mission statement in in India, well 'Tone' down that will be something like as a team newly promoted we need another season of stability and it is this that he will be judged

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

So, so strange. He says that the decent defensive form in the last few games forced him to change his mind. The centre back pairing was Williams and Lenehan during that period and Mowbrays comments lead me to believe they will start. Similarly Leutweiler was in ahead of Raya, will he be number one now? 

Since Mowbray came we have needed some big, dominant centre half and it was almost as if he suddenly realised this towards the end of last season when he said as much. To vast majority welcomed his comments but now he is back tracking on the strength of a few dead rubbers. 

It's another disappointing interview from a manager who more and more are beginning to doubt.

It probably means his trip to Pune didn't go his way (or our way!) Time for me to remind everybody that we will never prosper under Venkys!  :(

Edit---you said this yourself in a later post!

Edited by 47er
updated
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Shows what we’re up against when some numpty in the comments section said we’d get by with Mulgrew and Magloire at CB should Lenihan get injured. I despair with some of our lot.

• Like 8

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Shows what we’re up against when some numpty in the comments section said we’d get by with Mulgrew and Magloire at CB should Lenihan get injured. I despair with some of our lot.

I think that must be the idiot who sits behind me. He knows Jack Sh*t as well. He also thinks that Smallwood is the best player at the club.

• Like 1

If his words in todays LT aren't an about turn I don't know what is, he's dug himself a hole now and he's trying to wiggle out of it after ballsing up his no 1 defensive target in favour of chasing another ex Boro guy.

We really are going to be seeing a different style of football next season if he thinks he's going to try and tighten that defence up enough to be successful.  He'll have to be very pragmatic I think and they'll still ship set piece goals.

What the hell is wrong with this guy ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Like most stuff they come out with at those meetings I think they get a rush of blood when surrounded by supporters and with a microphone in front of them. Most supporters are quite easy to please and talk about new players etc. will send many home from the meeting happy and looking forward to the future.

Unfortunately it has become a theme at this club for there to be lots of talk about what the owners, manager and others want to do but ultimately when it comes down to delivering the goods it's a different story.

I agree that we are now seeing a gradual scaling back on expectations. In my view Venkys will have told him to sell someone if he wants serious funds and will probably be asking why he needs new defenders having dished out new deals to Williams, Mulgrew, Lenihan and Nyambe in the last few months.

• Like 4

Just now, tomphil said:

If his words in todays LT aren't an about turn I don't know what is, he's dug himself a hole now and he's trying to wiggle out of it after ballsing up his no defensive target in favour of chasing another ex Boro guy.

We really are going to be seeing a different style of football next season if he thinks he's going to try and tighten that defence up enough to be successful.  He'll have to be very pragmatic I think and they'll still ship set piece goals.

What the hell is wrong with this guy ?

I keep coming back to this quote when he resigned at Coventry:

"I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets.’’

Something ain’t right. He’s either being snookered here by the owners or he’s being delusional and too trusting of the current crop once again. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 4

We know what our weaknesses are and without a doubt our squad is currently weaker than last summer.  Downing (Cb) and reed having gone. 

Five weeks to go till the season starts......6 weeks till the deadline.  No new players starting pre-season training.  As others have said, we will line up with the same defence and Raya back in the nets.

What baffles me is he said he has seen enough in the last few games to know we will be ok because we will retain the ball more.

firstly keeping the ball more doesn't stop corners being headed in and secondly what if we get the same injuries. If lenihan is injured and mulgrew will be at some point as an almost certainty the same thing wil happen next year. He never learns

• Like 2

I've thought most comments on our lack of transfer activity have been mostly an overreaction but Mowbray has really done himself no favours here at all. What sort of manager looks at a side that conceded as many goals as we did and believes strengthening the back 4 isn't a priority? It's our main weakness mate, it was your main weakness at Coventry and it cost you your job. To me it sounds like he's now only looking at 1 defensive player, not even a keeper or left back. 

Nice season ticket push TM.

Season over. 

• Like 3

• Moderation Lead

I must admit, I'm a bit concerned by some of the soundbites from that interview.

We conceded far too many goals last season, so logic tells us that we need better defenders. 

As long as we sign those players, I'll be okay with it. But, if we start the season with the same defence that finished last season, anyone that supports Rovers  should be worried!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

I keep coming back to this quote when he resigned at Coventry:

"I probably let them down by not getting in the big 6ft 4in centre-half we were after, who could have been a man and help us keep clean sheets.’’

Something ain’t right. He’s either being snookered here by the owners or he’s being delusional and too trusting of the current crop once again. 

I'm no defender of the owners & co but I think if he went to them and said I like this defender he's on a free he's rated at about 2 million so he'll want a big signing on fee and decent wages equivalent to that over 3 or 4 yrs. I believe he's worth it though and after I've given him 50+ games he'll be worth more then they'd back him.

He swung the Armstrong signing them jumped in both feet on Brereton and they backed him, I think the real issue is he's tied all the spare money up in the next payments for those 2 and spunked the rest on Downings contract.  So now he's been told sell to buy if you want something decent so he's back to keeping faith with those he also lavished contract extensions on.

In short a dilemma of his own making so lets hope they have the late window rush of blood again and he uses it a bit more wisely this time, can't see it either way though.

Personally only concerned by signings and the way we are playing come August, so I’m not one to get worried or concerned by the soundbites of a man interviewed every other day.

• Like 2

The problem with these articles is when was Mowbray interviewed?

I was talking to a local journo once and he said to get them through the close season, a few lines from one interview back in May or whenever are drip fed each day for weeks to fill the back page.

His thinking could’ve evolved again since (or not, which would be very worrying)

• Like 1

Just now, Biz said:

Personally only concerned by signings and the way we are playing come August, so I’m not one to get worried or concerned by the soundbites of a man interviewed every other day.

Agree. Let’s wait and see what the starting line-up is come August.

It would be great to sign a Premiership quality defender and a striker but we probably all know that’s pretty unlikely.

Saying he wants to strengthen across the board suggests he isn't necessarily being held back by the owners any more than we thought he was, but the change in approach in regards to the defence is very worrying. If a supposed change in style is going to help us then he needs defenders to suit that. Lenihan hoofs the ball over everyone at least 4 times per game, Bell is terrified of the ball in general and Nyambe has never been blessed with composure. The only defender with any technical ability showed himself to be bordering on senility regularly as the season went on. This is not good.

• Like 6

Just now, Biz said:

Remaining in the pram until the end of July.

In Tony we trust.

Excited about the 5 new first team players who are better than our third division players.

Bouncing through the Championship via the playoffs. Nice trip to Wembley.

Going to be a fantastic season.

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

Saying he wants to strengthen across the board suggests he isn't necessarily being held back by the owners any more than we thought he was, but the change in approach in regards to the defence is very worrying. If a supposed change in style is going to help us then he needs defenders to suit that. Lenihan hoofs the ball over everyone at least 4 times per game, Bell is terrified of the ball in general and Nyambe has never been blessed with composure. The only defender with any technical ability showed himself to be bordering on senility regularly as the season went on. This is not good.

I think the lack of ability to pass the ball quickly is, with a couple of exceptions lacking throughout the squad. You have correctly identified several defenders who can't and In central midfield none of Travis, Smallwood or Evans can do this. Other players such as Bennett also fall into this category. We are far too ponderous when we have the ball and easy to play against.

• Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

The problem with these articles is when was Mowbray interviewed?

I was talking to a local journo once and he said to get them through the close season, a few lines from one interview back in May or whenever are drip fed each day for weeks to fill the back page.

His thinking could’ve evolved again since (or not, which would be very worrying)

Isn't Sharpe on vacation?

• Like 1