BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, arbitro said:

I think the lack of ability to pass the ball quickly is, with a couple of exceptions lacking throughout the squad. You have correctly identified several defenders who can't and In central midfield none of Travis, Smallwood or Evans can do this. Other players such as Bennett also fall into this category. We are far too ponderous when we have the ball and easy to play against.

Totally agree, as much as I like Travis and how he plays he always felt close to giving the ball away in really dangerous positions, it was inevitable when he cost us a goal doing exactly that, think it was against Brentford (?) 

It does concern me that this supposed new style of play will just equate to us passing it across the back for a minute or so and then feeding it into a midfielder with a dire first touch who gets his pocket picked and then we're all over the place at the back. We'll be back to hoofing it for Graham to knock down by October

• Like 3

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

Saying he wants to strengthen across the board suggests he isn't necessarily being held back by the owners any more than we thought he was, but the change in approach in regards to the defence is very worrying. If a supposed change in style is going to help us then he needs defenders to suit that. Lenihan hoofs the ball over everyone at least 4 times per game, Bell is terrified of the ball in general and Nyambe has never been blessed with composure. The only defender with any technical ability showed himself to be bordering on senility regularly as the season went on. This is not good.

He's probably just terrified of upsetting the pecking order as going out signing a couple of decently rated defenders opens up a whole can of worms he doesn't want to be faced with.

He's a players man that's why he's so popular and he's nothing if not cautious. 

Just now, OJRovers said:

100% nailed on defence for Charlton:

Bennett-Lennihan-Williams-Bell

No lessons learnt. No progress.

I think it’ll be that - perhaps Mulgrew for Williams - even if we do bring in a CB. Remember ‘you’ve got to fight your way into the team - you’ll be behind the current lads at the start’.

Just now, tomphil said:

He's probably just terrified of upsetting the pecking order as going out signing a couple of decently rated defenders opens up a whole can of worms he doesn't want to be faced with.

He's a players man that's why he's so popular and he's nothing if not cautious. 

He really is a player's man and those kind of managers eventually get overwhelmed when something doesn't sit well with the key members of the squad. 

He seems to think we could get promoted purely based on hard work and team spirit alone. This has happened but very rarely. Last season all three promoted teams, as well as Leeds, either had a distinct style of play that few in the division could cope against or a strong squad full of players who were either too good for or at the top end of this league ability-wise. I can't envisage us having either next season

• Like 6

Just now, Theaxe15 said:

He really is a player's man and those kind of managers eventually get overwhelmed when something doesn't sit well with the key members of the squad. 

If he was you'd think he'd bring a couple of quality players in to help them

No matter what Mowbray comes out and says he’ll only be judged on the players we bring in, just like any other manager. If we don’t bring in two defenders i’ll be pissed off. 

• Like 5

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Why don’t we wait until the transfer window shuts to determine whether it’s been a success or not..

If we signed Cristiano Ronaldo tomorrow these pages would be full of very happy people even though the window would be open for a while to come. Quite rightly people would express their delight.

As we've done very little business and the manager is now seemingly backtracking people are voicing their concerns, quite rightly in my view given the tragic defence we had last season. 

Only one way to stop that - sign some decent players who will improve us!

• Like 6

As it stands if we go into the season as we are maybe along with a few more underwhelming back up signings again I think we'll actually do enough to finish a place or two below last season.  Don't think we'll go down he's enough about him as has the squad to comfortably avoid that barring a bad set of injuries however second season syndrome without considerably strengthening or even freshening I can't see any better than last season.

People need to remember it's the manager and club that beat their chests and make bold talk in regards to where they want to be, they state things in public in regards to signings, pushing on and ultimate ambition over x number of windows.  Doesn't matter whether he said those words yesterday or 3 weeks ago it's a clearly another climb down and doesn't come across well and doesn't set a tone of ambition. We know the window is far from finished but we've also been around enough to know it looks like he's giving clear pointers to not expect much of what he promised in regards to improving key areas.

• Like 5

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Why don’t we wait until the transfer window shuts to determine whether it’s been a success or not..

It's not about judging where we are now or at the end of the window. This debate was started because Mowbray has seemingly done a U-turn on what he saw as an absolute priority in March on the strength of a few dead rubber games. If you aren't alarmed by his comments that's fine but the majority are.

Were you not concerned by our defensive record and felt we need different types of players to what we have?

• Like 4

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

As it stands if we go into the season as we are maybe along with a few more underwhelming back up signings again I think we'll actually do enough to finish a place or two below last season.  Don't think we'll go down he's enough about him as has the squad to comfortably avoid that barring a bad set of injuries however second season syndrome without considerably strengthening or even freshening I can't see any better than last season.

People need to remember it's the manager and club that beat their chests and make bold talk in regards to where they want to be, they state things in public in regards to signings, pushing on and ultimate ambition over x number of windows.  Doesn't matter whether he said those words yesterday or 3 weeks ago it's a clearly another climb down and doesn't come across well and doesn't set a tone of ambition. We know the window is far from finished but we've also been around enough to know it looks like he's giving clear pointers to not expect much of what he promised in regards to improving key areas.

As much as Venky's ownership has shown us that actions speak louder than words, this bit highlighted in bold is exactly why people get frustrated when Mowbray makes some of the comments he does.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Think more bullsh1t from a deluded and not up to scratch manager.

His words are of no surprise to me.

What a depressing start to the weekend.

• Like 7

Just now, arbitro said:

It's not about judging where we are now or at the end of the window. This debate was started because Mowbray has seemingly done a U-turn on what he saw as an absolute priority in March on the strength of a few dead rubber games. If you aren't alarmed by his comments that's fine but the majority are.

Were you not concerned by our defensive record and felt we need different types of players to what we have?

I’ll judge him by his actions. If he said all the right things at this moment in time but failed to improve the squad before August, I’d feel the same way. Positive intentions mean nothing if he can’t deliver. I’m not getting carried away with his recent comments in the same way that I didn’t get carried away with his previous ones. 

• Like 1

We would have conceded a lot less goals if Lenihan played more games last season, that's pretty much fact. But regardless of that I hope to hell he's not thinking we can rely on him staying fit all season as a reason not to strengthen (assuming he actually stays anyway...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biz said:

Personally only concerned by signings and the way we are playing come August, so I’m not one to get worried or concerned by the soundbites of a man interviewed every other day.

And would you be concerned if at least one decent defender doesn't come in?

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

The problem with these articles is when was Mowbray interviewed?

I was talking to a local journo once and he said to get them through the close season, a few lines from one interview back in May or whenever are drip fed each day for weeks to fill the back page.

His thinking could’ve evolved again since (or not, which would be very worrying)

Not recently obviously as Sharpe is away getting wed

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Shows what we’re up against when some numpty in the comments section said we’d get by with Mulgrew and Magloire at CB should Lenihan get injured. I despair with some of our lot.

It’s in a bad enough a state to begin with if Lenihan’s fit. I wouldn’t like to contemplate him being injured. That’s the only thing that would be worse than selling him.

Interesting stats...

Money made by Venkys Rovers from selling defenders (£45.49):

Jones £17.37m

Samba £12.6m

Martin Olsson £2.61m

Dann £1.65m (!)

Marcus Olsson £590k

Hanley £5.94m

Duffy £4.73m

Money spent on buying defenders (£9.72m):

Dann £6.12m (two-thirds of our entire spend on defenders - and sold at a huge loss)

Orr £1.62m (!)

Duffy £1.71m (our only defender with a financial return on investment).

Bell £270k

This suggests that we aren’t likely to be spending on defenders and why our interest in Bauer as a free transfer was so important and also such a missed opportunity. I bet the air was blue down at Brockhall. (You’ve only yourself to blame, Tony).

I notice also that Mowbray is now “admitting that his clamour for defenders isn’t as strong as it once was”. That doesn’t bode well at all.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17738118.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-wants-to-strengthen-across-board/

(Headline in the paper copy is a much more negative sounding “Boss on the defensive...”).

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Then are we allowed to lambast the manager...or does he get the January window as well?

Let's not forget that this is window 3 of his 4 window plan to have us challenging for promotion and playing like Barca.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I must admit, I'm a bit concerned by some of the soundbites from that interview.

We conceded far too many goals last season, so logic tells us that we need better defenders. 

As long as we sign those players, I'll be okay with it. But, if we start the season with the same defence that finished last season, anyone that supports Rovers  should be worried!

Perhaps Venkys have seen he's done with £7M and won't risk anymore?

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

It’s in a bad enough a state to begin with if Lenihan’s fit. I wouldn’t like to contemplate him being injured. That’s the only thing that would be worse than selling him.

Interesting stats...

Money made by Venkys Rovers from selling defenders (£45.49):

Jones £17.37m

Samba £12.6m

Martin Olsson £2.61m

Dann £1.65m (!)

Marcus Olsson £590k

Hanley £5.94m

Duffy £4.73m

Money spent on buying defenders (£9.72m):

Dann £6.12m (two-thirds of our entire spend on defenders - and sold at a huge loss)

Orr £1.62m (!)

Duffy £1.71m (our only defender with a financial return on investment).

Bell £270k

This suggests that we aren’t likely to be spending on defenders and why our interest in Bauer as a free transfer was so important and also such a missed opportunity. I bet the air was blue down at Brockhall. (You’ve only yourself to blame, Tony).

I notice also that Mowbray is now “admitting that his clamour for defenders isn’t as strong as it once was”. That doesn’t bode well at all.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17738118.rovers-boss-tony-mowbray-wants-to-strengthen-across-board/

(Headline in the paper copy is a much more negative sounding “Boss on the defensive...”).

Irony there is that we've made much more selling defenders than any other area! 

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

think he is regretting his rallying cry at the end of last season. I thought it most unlike him at the time

Or like him? A numpty

Edited by roverandout