BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

For me, an underwhelming window so far, but not a surprising one.   

Raya a keeper full of promise being sold.  Feel sorry for the lad.  IMO, he's had to play behind a shyte defensive unit and put up with a goalie coach who I think would be best suited to his old job back with Carlisle in the community.  As for Darlow, can't get excited.  The lad's barely played 50 games in the last four seasons which is no good for any player, in particular a goalkeeper.  He's almost 29 and is some way short of having made 200 starts.  At £4million looks ridiculously over priced - you don't suddenly become good at that age.

The signings of Downing and Johnson to me are reminiscent of the signings of Murphy and Etuhu and we all know how they turned out!

Gallagher at £5million vastly over priced and overrated.  There was an excellent earlier post of last season's successful strikers in the Championship and where they came from and what they cost.  Our recruitment leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Other than Rovers, there doesn't seem to be much interest from other clubs in the £9million Gallagher and Darlow.

Sadly, I don't think our sales are finished yet either.

Other than Dack, and possibly Rothwell, I think Mowbray's player trading record is miserable and it doesn't seem to me that things are about to change.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

My one worry about selling Raya would be that he is being made a scapegoat for the amount of goals conceded last season and that Mowbray thinks getting rid is the answer to sorting out the goals against column. Whilst Raya was to blame for his fair share of goals conceded he was far from the only one.

But if, as a defender yiu can not trust your keeper to give a shout or come at the right time it makes your job harder you have to have one eye on him.  I saw a few bewildered looks from Darragh last season.

Like I said mixed feelings about Raya but happy we finally have some movement.  Johnson being for the most part under the radar till almost signed is encouraging and shows we are playing our cards close.

Edited by USABlue

Johnson - v good signing I reckon, esp on a free. Good top-end championship experience, will be great for Travis & Davenport to play alongside of across the season.

Raya - disappointed but coming round to the idea if replaced by Darlow, much more commanding & perfect age. If we get a good price for Raya with good sell on clause, I'll be ok with that. Please though, not Hart.

Gallagher - if he can reproduce what he did in that half season - minus Preston - across a full season, I'm all on board with that. £5m may be a tad too much, but it's a crazy market. We can't afford Prem league loanees, and whilst I'm all for trying out younger strikers from lower down we need more than that in the short - medium term. Graham is my current no 1 but this must be his last season as 1st choice, Gallagher is the perfect age to take his mantle, alongside BB who I still believe will round his doubters.

Hanley - a bit meh; wouldn't say no but would like us to be a bit more adventurous. (Could say same about Gallagher too.)  Not fussed on missing out on Bauer, don't think he would improve us much. This is where I think we should look to benefit most from the Euro scouts, though it seems this summer might be a bit soon for that.

I can't subscribe to the view this is a poor window so far. Clearly there's a long way to go with ins & outs and it could go either way, but I'd say we're doing ok & clearly are able to attract good Ch'ship stock, a la Johnson, unlike some had feared. We're getting a good blend of youth & experience, with some excellent prospects coming through the U23s. Looks rather promising IMO

• Like 3

Just now, alderson777 said:

Jesus... A ball hasn't been kicked yet we are talking about relegation. In a transfer thread. 

He’s talking about survival. You brought up relegation. Stop being so negative.

• Like 1

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

What remotely suggests we won't?

Given how  our transfer window activity is shaping up I'd snap anyone-s hand off now for 21st before a ball is kicked.

The squad is better than last season as it stands, a season in which we were well clear of relegation. Theres going to be more in comings too. None of the teams around us last season have strengthened much, if at all 

Stop spouting fretty shite its embarrassing. ¹

• Like 3

3 more signings and we could have this squad. I personally think this would have a real shot at promotion. 

Darlow

Nyambe Lenihan Cooper Bell

Travis Johnson

Chapman Dack Rothwell 

Graham 

Leuitweiller Mulgrew Evans Downing Davenport Williams Bennett Armstrong Brereton Gallagher Buckley Butterworth Smallwood Samuel Nuttall 

• Like 1

Just now, Ossydave said:

The squad is better than last season as it stands, a season in which we were well clear of relegation. Theres going to be more in comings too. None of the teams around us last season have strengthened much, if at all 

Stop spouting fretty shite its embarrassing. ¹

It really isn’t.

Rodwell was PL standard. Johnson is Championship.

Conway has been replaced by an older (!) player.

Reed hasn’t been replaced.

Downing hasn’t been replaced.

Our goalkeeper (at best) is unsettled or (at worst) leaving.

There is still time but we are marginally weaker. However, the fact that we have brought in two free transfers despite lots of talk does not bode well.

• Like 2

Just now, Mercer said:

Raya a keeper full of promise being sold.  Feel sorry for the lad.  IMO, he's had to play behind a shyte defensive unit and put up with a goalie coach who I think would be best suited to his old job back with Carlisle in the community.  As for Darlow, can't get excited.  The lad's barely played 50 games in the last four seasons which is no good for any player, in particular a goalkeeper.  He's almost 29 and is some way short of having made 200 starts.  At £4million looks ridiculously over priced - you don't suddenly become good at that age.

The signings of Downing and Johnson to me are reminiscent of the signings of Murphy and Etuhu and we all know how they turned out!

Gallagher at £5million vastly over priced and overrated.  There was an excellent earlier post of last season's successful strikers in the Championship and where they came from and what they cost.  Our recruitment leaves an awful lot to be desired.

Other than Rovers, there doesn't seem to be much interest from other clubs in the £9million Gallagher and Darlow.

Other than Dack, and possibly Rothwell, I think Mowbray's player trading record is miserable and it doesn't seem to me that things are about to change.

My god you really are a glass half empty kind of bloke aren’t ya! TM obviously wants a more commanding keeper than Raya, I trust his judgement. Downing is a like for like replacement for Conway but with a much better pedigree. Johnson is definitely an upgrade on any of our midfielders, so that can only be a good thing.  In regards to Gallagher, TM had the chance to work at close quarters with him for a few months and obviously liked what he saw, that is good enough for me. Hopefully on top of that there is gonna be at least one defender through the door. I’m feeling like the glass should be more half full than half empty my great pal.

• Like 5

Just now, Stuart said:

It really isn’t.

There is still time but we are marginally weaker. However, the fact that we have brought in two free transfers despite lots of talk does not bode well.

At one point Rodwell was PL standard, he isn't anymore.

He also can't string 3 games together. 

• Like 3

Just now, Exiled_Rover said:

At one point Rodwell was PL standard, he isn't anymore.

He also can't string 3 games together. 

Also Rodwell was brought in as a defender not a midfielder. Johnson was brought in to bolster our midfield. Rodwell is yet to be replaced, when he is I’m sure it’ll be an upgrade.

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

3 more signings and we could have this squad. I personally think this would have a real shot at promotion. 

Darlow

Nyambe Lenihan Cooper Bell

Travis Johnson

Chapman Dack Rothwell 

Graham 

Leuitweiller Mulgrew Evans Downing Davenport Williams Bennett Armstrong Brereton Gallagher Buckley Butterworth Smallwood Samuel Nuttall 

You think we could have a good chance of promotion with them 2 at full back?

Our full back positions have been continuously neglected throughout the Venkys era really, and I fear this will remain the case at the end of the summer.

The LT did an article on our right backs in recent years, https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17664143.what-we-can-learn-from-the-stats-around-rovers-right-back/ and you see some of the shite thats played there, similar story with left back. Present day, Nyambe has a lot more defensive nous than Bell and far more room for growth, but is prone to a poor run of form, and our only competition is a player who is only filling there ineffectively in Bennett, who has to be frustratingly shoehorned in. Bell is horrendous at preventing crosses and stops and checks back rather than bursting forward and getting crosses in. His only competition is a very average centre back who is awful in his supposed primary position of left back. We need to fix these positions.

Sadly I don't think Chapman will be near the starting 11 either, not sure Mowbray trusts him and wouldnt be shocked to see him loaned out. Bennett will be in, by hook or by crook.

I like the look of the midfield, Travis, Davenport, Armstrong, Chapman, Dack and Rothwell complimented by the older heads of Johnson, Downing and Evans. (Sadly Bennett and Smallwood too) Obviously Raya will need replacing, Darlow would be a good choice, but the defence still requires the overhaul it needed at the beginning of the summer, not just one addition.

• Backroom

Maybe I’m daft but I’m feeling positive about it all. Feel things are about to take shape.

For me Raya out and Darlow In leaves us stronger in the goalkeeping department (if £3m really was a crazily low price for Raya then there’d would be a queue to take him)

I like Rodwell but in terms of impact he wasn’t going to play central midfield and today we signed a midfielder that would likely have been first choice in there any season of the last 6-7. Just turned 32 so not over the hill.

Downing May be older than Conway but he’s a better player.

Gallagher looked brilliant in flashes when he was here and would be a good option if not a massively exciting signing.

I would look to shift out Smallwood and Nuttall and we are still a starting centre half short.

I May be way off but for whatever reason I feel positive about the way this window will go 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 8

Just now, Tom said:

Maybe I’m daft but I’m feeling positive about it all. Feel things are about to take shape.

For me Raya out and Darlow In leaves us stronger in the goalkeeping department (if £3m really was a crazily low price for Raya then there’d would be a queue to take him)

I like Rodwell but in terms of impact he wasn’t going to play central midfield and today we signed a midfielder that would likely have been first choice in there any season of the last 6-7. Just turned 32 so not over the hill.

Downing May be older than Conway but he’s a better player.

Gallagher looked brilliant in flashes when he was here and would be a good option if not a massively exciting signing.

I would look to shift out Smallwood and Nuttall and we are still a starting centre half short.

I May be way off but for whatever reason I feel positive about the way this window will go 

totally agree with this feel Darlow is good keeper, Gally has bags of potential

• Like 1

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Born in Clitheroe lovely place.

Lovely place absolutely, full of stuck up you know whats though. Me and my mates go over now and then for an afternoon all dayer, some decent pubs  and bars as I’m sure you’ll know. 

50 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I just don't think we'll pay any significant fees certainly not a combined 9 mill I think one or both will be loaned to start with if they come or for around half the quoted price plus add ons.

Looking at Newcastle/Forest fans opinions on Darlow. A lot saying he’s a great shot stopper but is error prone and isn’t confident on crosses etc. We are basically selling Raya too buy another Raya who’s older and has less potential. Great ???

• Like 3

The era of the commanding good at the basics keeper is over the era of the error prone agile shot stopper is in !

I blame the academy system not enough young players out cutting their teeth and too many similar robots straight out of the coaching manual outfield and show pony keepers in the sticks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Call the samaritans pal. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It really isn’t.

Rodwell was by no means PL standard at any point last season! He was reasonable at best.

Johnson helped Derby to the play-off final last year and is theoretically better than most other midfielders we have.

Conway played a few games for us, replaced by someone who played over 30 games for a top half team.

Reed, I'll give you that, but I'd argue Rodwell's lack of game time makes Johnson Reed's replacement.

GK, I'll give you unless we replace with someone of the Darlow, Ruddy, Carson ilk.

Downing... at least is 'replaced' by a youth centre back imo, but needs an upgrade.

Edited by Mike E