BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbray’s Future

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Great that Mowbray has had the opportunity to speak to the owners already. Definitely an improvement on communications by the looks of it. Credit to Paul Senior. 

I like how Mowbray said we will secure our status in the division and then he will talk to them during the summer about next steps. 

I am going to say that this will be our most positive and constructive summer since Venkys bought the club. 

Whatever gives you that idea? They've already said they're planning to cut costs again. As blueboy says, it's freebies, cheap wages and sell anyone another team might fork out a bit of cash for to keep things ticking over. Unless they do a total u turn which, given their weird and wonderful ways, they might.But then look who we have in charge of recruitment - he whose wife is an agent.

• Like 6

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

It's going to be a big ask. They've set the bar very high over the years. :rolleyes:

What do you predict will happen?

I'm guessing a few free transfers incoming and the sale of our better players. That seems to be the template. 

The low bar setting probably does play a part :) 

Some decent signings in (free or not, doesn't matter if they are good) , none of our important  players leaving, deadwood cleared out and new contracts for Mahoney, Lowe and possible Guthrie. All combined with the most solid manager we have had since Allardyce. That is the minimum I expect. Which I would argue is the most positive summer since Venkys took over. Anything extra is a bonus. 

Just now, gumboots said:

Whatever gives you that idea? They've already said they're planning to cut costs again. As blueboy says, it's freebies, cheap wages and sell anyone another team might fork out a bit of cash for to keep things ticking over. Unless they do a total u turn which, given their weird and wonderful ways, they might.But then look who we have in charge of recruitment - he whose wife is an agent.

I know we have been burned by agents, but I don't think we need to over focus on this. Anderson was a different animal. 

At best the 'gentleman' Mowbray spoke to was Balaji, which I suppose is a start, but we all know that the only way to get business done with this freak show is to get answers from Mrs Desai, and it appears the only way she does her business is if people fly across the world to visit her and kneel at her feet.

Balaji doesn't have the cash to fund this club, hence the drastic cutbacks we've witnessed in the last 2 years after Mrs Desai realised promotion isn't quite as easy as signing cheques and adding to the debt every year.

Mowbray is in a no lose situation here though. He's already proving to be very popular with the supporters, firstly for being 100% better and more likeable than Coyle, and secondly for delivering an immediate improvement on the pitch. Everyone knows what the problem is here. If Mowbray keeps us up this season his managerial career will be revived even if he walks out in the summer. If he gives them a chance to do things properly, which Lambert wasn't prepared to do, then he might be able to cobble together a squad next season that can do better than this year, but if not and he leaves nobody will hold him responsible for the situation.

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Some decent signings in (free or not, doesn't matter if they are good) , none of our important  players leaving, deadwood cleared out and new contracts for Mahoney, Lowe and possible Guthrie. All combined with the most solid manager we have had since Allardyce. That is the minimum I expect. Which I would argue is the most positive summer since Venkys took over. Anything extra is a bonus. 

I know we have been burned by agents, but I don't think we need to over focus on this. Anderson was a different animal. 

You're in La La Land and going to be very disappointed.

Not one piece of evidence from the last 6 years can justify that optimism but you require proof from others.

• Like 3

I'd imagine Lowe will have to take a big pay cut to be offered a new contract. He must be one of the better paid players at the club, and let's be honest he's poor with the ball. As Mowbray's teams try to knock it around I'd be surprised if Lowe was in his thoughts. Then again every manager seems to pick him so what do I know.

Mahoney signing would be a real plus. I think he's going to be quality. He beats people for fun. Not many wingers can do that anymore. Mahoney,  Lenihan, Tomlinson and Nyambe are the ones we should be looking to keep hold of and develop. The likes of Akpan, Stokes etc are more than replaceable.

Guthrie's ok, but we've fallen a long way if his signature is the litmus test of a good summer. I'd say Mulgrew is the only good central midfielder we have. But if Guthrie can stay fit and build his strength then he may be a real asset to Mowbray.

Freebies of the quality of Danny Graham are fine. Like you say though it doesn't matter how much they cost if they are good uns' but our standard of signings has gradually got worse over the years. No reason to think that won't continue this summer unless the Venksters turn the money taps on. Can't see it can you?

Regardless, Paul Senior will have to earn his money this summer and recruit well. A lot of focus will be on him this summer.     

As for Mowbray, he's started well. He speaks in a measured way, and doesn't sugar-coat things in the way Coyle did. But then anyone looks good following the hapless Coyle. Mowbrays test will come if he loses a couple and we slip back in the relegation places. 

• Like 3

Just now, 47er said:

You're in La La Land and going to be very disappointed.

Not one piece of evidence from the last 6 years can justify that optimism but you require proof from others.

I wanted proof about a phone call(which has not come, incidentally). What does that have to do with me being optimistic? 

Your point doesn't make sense, but I will play along. The reason why I am more optimistic is because we now have a DOF to improve communications with the owners. We have a solid managerial appointment. The manager has already spoken to the owners, which was not the case with previous managers. So that would suggest to me that small changes are happening, for the better. 

Look I am not getting into a big debate about this. I feel more optimistic about this summer(provided we stay up of course) I am not asking anyone else to. I will leave it at that. 

26 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We've always had fans who thought selling our best players and replacing with cheaper versions was the way forward - and in fact "it's something we've always done".  It IS astonishing though, that after everything that's gone on over six and a half years, some fans STILL believe it's a method that could bring success. 

How long does it take to sink in?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Anderson was not operating on his own, was he?. I think we have had an infestation.There were loads of them feeding off the animal they had brought down.

Crucially,I think it would be a big mistake to allow ourselves to be diverted from what is an agent- centric agenda. Expect lots of plant posters to be pushing the new start/all hat was in the past line.

The club is rotten.The summer will tell us plenty....but I think I know what to expect

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 3

Just now, den said:

We've always had fans who thought selling our best players and replacing with cheaper versions was the way forward - and in fact "it's something we've always done".  It IS astonishing though, that after everything that's gone on over six and a half years, some fans STILL believe it's a method that could bring success. 

How long does it take to sink in?

I don't think anyone thought it was the way forward, but it was necessary for many seasons in the Premiership. Selling Santa Cruz, Bentley etc for big money was the right decision at the time. The key is reinvesting the money well. Which by and large we did over the years BV(before venkys) 

No doubt about it , that side of things has slipped massively under the current owners. We are coming at this now from a  certain level. My point is that I believe things are settling down a bit behind the scenes and in the dugout. I am not going to burst into a rendition of "Things can only get better" but I do believe we will be stronger next season and that relegation is not inevitable. 

I don't think anyone thought it was the way forward, but it was necessary for many seasons in the Premiership. Selling Santa Cruz, Bentley etc for big money was the right decision at the time. The key is reinvesting the money well. Which by and large we did over the years BV(before venkys) 

No doubt about it , that side of things has slipped massively under the current owners. We are coming at this now from a  certain level. My point is that I believe things are settling down a bit behind the scenes and in the dugout. I am not going to burst into a rendition of "Things can only get better" but I do believe we will be stronger next season and that relegation is not inevitable. 

Plenty thought it was the way forward. 

• Backroom

People said the same stuff during the Bowyer years. "We've got stability, we're getting better, next year is our year". Some fans will never learn, and I feel bad for them because until Venky's go they will be setting themselves up for bitter disappointment season after season. 

• Like 3

• Backroom

Looking at those we lose in summer:

Wes Brown, Gordon Greer, Jason Lowe, Danny Guthrie, Hope Akpan, Adam Henley.

Lost loans:

Lucas Joao, Sam Gallagher, Marvin Emnes, Stephen Hendrie, Tommy Hogan.

That is according to Transfermarkt, anyway. I'd only be desperate to keep Emnes, Gallagher, and Guthrie from that lot.

Others can be replaced/filled in from the academy. The £6m saving demand is another Venky's arse-up, but it needn't be TOO doom and gloom if Mowbray can keep up what he's done so far.

Imo, Mahoney, Tomlinson, Nyambe, Raya are NOW team-ready players who we must keep on (already here = saving). The next step are the likes of Doyle at left back, Wharton at cb, Harecastle in midfield, Rankin-Costello in attacking-mid, possibly Butterworth if he can kick on.

By no means is it what I want, but I reckon the above could be where Cheston/Venky's see that £6m saving coming from. Trying to work out how we can use it to our favour, not that it's ever been that way under the charlatans.

Edited by Mike E

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

It's going to be a big ask. They've set the bar very high over the years. :rolleyes:

What do you predict will happen?

I'm guessing a few free transfers incoming and the sale of our better players. That seems to be the template. 

I think Mowbray will bring through a few from the under 23's like Wharton, Hardcastle, Doyle and Rankin Costello. 

I would only offer new deals to Guthrie and Mahoney. 

I expect Wes Brown, Gordon Greer, Jason Lowe, Hope Akpan, Adam Henley all to leave

I think we will sign Emnes on a permanent deal if we stay up. Knows Mowbray very well and he knows how to get him to play to his best.

I would be looking to sign Gallagher or Hoban if we could.

Expect Stokes to leave. 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Cheston said this? Is he in the loop? 

It appears that Senior is running the Football operations from start and end. Leaving Cheston and Slivester to deal with the admin side

On the recruitment side, Senior will be charge of this but I think he and Mowbray will decide on a shortlist after the season has finish and Senior will do the deals. whilst Mowbray focus on the coaching side of the club and bring in one or 2 staff like a new fitness coach or gk coach. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

It appears that Senior is running the Football operations from start and end. Leaving Cheston and Slivester to deal with the admin side

On the recruitment side, Senior will be charge of this but I think he and Mowbray will decide on a shortlist after the season has finish and Senior will do the deals. whilst Mowbray focus on the coaching side of the club and bring in one or 2 staff like a new fitness coach or gk coach. 

Who mentioned Cheston?

I somehow doubt Senior has any weight over Cheston.

Cheston will be the one running the show with finances being number 1 then reporting to Suhail

• Backroom

Thanks for the link there AllRoverAsia. 

But I dont believe he is in the loop at all. I said that Senior appears to running all football operations like his job title is. 

He might be running football operations but he isn't going to be running finance as well. No budget and cutting costs means we end up with a squad of even poorer quality next season, regardless of what Mowbray would like. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the link there AllRoverAsia. 

But I dont believe he is in the loop at all. I said that Senior appears to running all football operations like his job title is. 

I agree. Cheston's function since the arrival of Senior is that of a bookkeeper. Senior is running Cheston and everything else on a day to day basis. Senior's control is Pasha and on ....

They all slurp from the same trough.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pk1875 said:

Yeah but does TM have proof it was Balaji on the phone? B)

An unnamed genial gentlemam talks with Mowbray............was the call made from or to Pune....just wondering..........

Its not like the LT to skimp on detail................

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/blackburn/15137537._They_were_very_supportive____Tony_Mowbray_on_speaking_to_Blackburn_Rovers_owners_Venky_s/

Edited by AllRoverAsia